I need help

• 17 Replies

mo-jo

I need help
« on: April 17, 2012, 19:08 »
I posted on here a week or so ago as my seedlings were being eaten.  The general opinion was that it was slugs so I went out and bought the green pellets.  Now things are still being eaten and I seem to keep finding holes in my soil that don't seem to go anywhere.  What could be causing these holes? as what ever is doing that is surely eating my seedlings.

I'm gutted coz nothing is getting a chance to grow and I was really hoping to have a successful growing season this year. 

Any ideas or advice would be greatly received.

Thanks   

shokkyy

• Mishka
Re: I need help
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 19:12 »
Mice or voles.

mo-jo

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 19:13 »
I thought about mice but wouldn't the holes go somewhere?  they are only about 1 inch deep?

sarajane

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 19:13 »
Sparrows ate the young leaves of my beetroot and spinach last year.

If you think its birds, net or fleece them :blink:

mo-jo

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 19:16 »
Thanks sarajane, there is fleece over them at the moment but that doesn't seem to keep these things out.  They are very determined  >:(

PembsPanther

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 19:50 »

ulsterfairy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 19:58 »
Few years back I couldnt work out what was eating my beetroot leaves.  Slug scavenges in the night, beer traps and pellets made no difference, Plus I had covered them in netting mainly to deter my 2 cats from using the soil as a toilet!!  Then one day I watched one of the cats go under a gap i had missed and nibble the leaves!! I couldnt believe it!!

Hope you find whatever is munching your veg, I havent a clue what it might be!! Is it wprth taking a pic of the damage to post here?

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 20:24 »
Both of my dogs go mad for the leaves of cucumber, squash and courgette. They'd strip the plants bare if I didn't barricade them away.

ulsterfairy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 20:47 »
Both of my dogs go mad for the leaves of cucumber, squash and courgette. They'd strip the plants bare if I didn't barricade them away.

:D   :lol: :lol: :lol:

yorkiegal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 21:13 »

I once caught my dog climbing right to the top of the rockery, standing on a large plant pot and doing a spectacularly well aimed pee into one of my hanging baskets. I didn't know whether to shout at him or give him a special treat.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 21:16 »
... or a round of applause  :lol:

Mrs Bee

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 21:31 »
I had this recently with my pea shoots for salad. I left a mouse trap  nearby with a few kernals of corn and caught several mouses :D

Now the seedlings are OK.
I think you may have mouses >:(

Abbeyview

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 21:35 »
On our allotment site several people have lost broad beans just after the green shoot came through,, the shoot was left intact but the bean seeds had gone, the beans are all netted however there are numerous round holes about an inch in diameter and depth on all the affected sites, several of us have set traps and caught numerous mice, I have lost all my spring sown broad beans to these pests luckily the autumn sowings were not affected.
Retired but never short of a job.

RsT

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 21:52 »
My dogs once consumed half a dozen cauli heads, first time i had grown them was so proud of them, broken fence and five dogs left nothing for us :-(
That was a fairly obvious cause of the problem though! :)

I would try a mousetrap too, had problems in greenhouse a couple of years back, and a mousetrap soon removed the offending critters, suggested bait is crisps!

BabbyAnn

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 08:41 »
Luckily never had the problems of mice (just foxes which has meant no chicken manure, bonemeal or BFB on my plot  :() so I can only go along with everyone's else assessment as the possible cause.

What I might suggest is try to sow as many crops as you possibly can at home (obviously I realise some are better sown direct) and maybe they may have a better chance of growing to a decent size before planting out and in the meantime you can be dealing with the mice problem.

Hope you get it sorted  :)

Page created in 0.612 seconds with 29 queries.