Carrots no show yet

• 46 Replies

Abbeyview

• Experienced Member
Re: Carrots no show yet
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2012, 21:18 »
For many years I have had a south facing shelterd back yard veg plot, last year I  became the holder of a very open wind swept allotment an quickly found that seed from the same packet sown on the same day in both locations took between 25% and 50% longer to germinate on the allotment however the end results were very similar. Nature works in mysterious ways and not necessarily to our calendar.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 19:50 by Abbeyview »
Retired but never short of a job.

chriscross1966

• Experienced Member
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2012, 02:19 »
It is possible to module sow carrots... in normal cells you can put the round-rooted forcing types like Rondo, Atlas and Amsterdam Forcing, and if you get a 24-cell tray and push a toilet-roll tube into each cell then you can sow the shorter rooted types like Chantenay and Nantes ... 2-3 seeds per cell, propagator or window sill, once they've shown then they'll take being in a cold frame (harden them off a bit for that) or an unheated GH... plant out once they're a few weeks old, just plant the whole tube... no thinning needed, nice clean crop, but they do tend to be limited to the length of the toilet roll tube.... they tend to go straggly once they hit the bottom.... but still that's a decent clean size... I do do it with my maincrops as well but live with short fat roots as a result..... Well worth a try if carrots are a problem crop for either the ground or (as in my case I think) the grower :-)... There's also a variety called Eskimo that does OK sown like this and planted out into big pots, then brought into the GH in early December..... carrots (and big ones) thorugh winter without clamping etc.... great...

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2012, 07:28 »
My plot neighbour starts everything in modules, but I don't think she gets huge, good sized carrots.

Mine are always sown straight into the ground, and apart from the odd forked one (which is quite fun) they do get some size.

Emma

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2012, 09:10 »
I tried module planting carrots last year, and I thought I had managed to get them inot the ground in good time --- wrong!!! A range of entwined, forked roots  :lol:

Short roots may be OK, or round ones like Parmex would certainly be
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Dopey113

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2012, 14:11 »
Had a look (not that i know what i was looking for you understand!  :lol:) but it looks like they are coming through, but when the weather breaks I will have to do more (correctly this time) as I definitely dont have enough planted out. there very small 2 almost round leafs on them, duz that sound right to you guys?, either that or im looking after weeds again (not a surprise)  :tongue2:
If Its Not Growing... Its Dead.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2012, 15:04 »
Image of a carrot seedling here.  Note the long seed leaves, followed by the feathery true leaves.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Carrot Man

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2012, 15:44 »
Here are some others

This is a long type carrot. You can see it now has three true leaves and two seed leaves which will eventually go.

Here are some short carrot seedling. They have been in the same time as the long variety but appear to be a bit stronger.

Dopey113

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2012, 19:20 »
Err I think I have weeds then ^^^ your picks prove that, thanks all

mattwragg94

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2012, 20:03 »
well i check on my seedlings yesterday and all of them have dissappeared - i think i must have been the slugs  >:( - needless to say im gonna sow some more this week and put some pellets down.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2012, 20:57 »
well i check on my seedlings yesterday and all of them have dissappeared - i think i must have been the slugs  >:( - needless to say im gonna sow some more this week and put some pellets down.

Good ol' pellets! :D
Swear by them.
It's my tummy or the slugs' tummies - I WILL WIN! 8)

Dopey113

« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2012, 10:59 »
Kill mice as well  :tongue2:

Daisysandbeans

« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2012, 14:40 »
Mine are still not sprouted after 19 days, so much for successional sowing plans, I can see I'll end up with everything growing all at the same time like usual!!

PembsPanther

• Experienced Member
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2012, 19:43 »
Mine have not come up yet either :( (I only sowed them yesterday ;) )I have them in a big tub full of excellent quality compost ans the seed compost on the top where they are sown, I went for the multi coloured Harlequin F1 from fothergills.

viettaclark

« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2012, 00:47 »
I thought my first batch of carrots were destroyed by slugs because some were definitely up and then disappeared.
So after a couple of applications of the blue death I sowed some more.
I think there must have been some left from before or they're coming up very quickly!!!
Ho hum...lots of congested carrots!
Got the same prob with parsnips. The radish to mark the rows is swelling nicely but I can't see alot of parsnip action.
I'll leave it 2 more weeks then re-sow between the rows of radish......
Then they'll come up.....

Daisysandbeans

« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2012, 13:24 »
Today my carrots have started to sprout!  Along with the beet root that was sowed in the same bed.  Only tiny shoots but germination is definately occurring - it has taken 20 days!! Sown some more today and covered with a cloche. 

xx
100% no show on carrots.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 09, 2022, 15:19
by Snow
xx
show results 1st time in this show

Started by philskin on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post September 06, 2009, 14:56
by Noah'strolly
xx
I'll show my mine if you show me yours!

Started by Jimmy Splash on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 15, 2010, 19:00
by Irene
xx
can you put autumn carrots in the same place as early carrots

Started by tooo many seeds on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 17:33
by DD.

Page created in 0.435 seconds with 37 queries.