tonics and pick-me-ups

• 3 Replies

Truffle

• Experienced Member
tonics and pick-me-ups
« on: April 10, 2012, 22:34 »
Just after a bit of advice on tonics and such like, hope some of you lovely people out there can give me the benefit of your experience.

I have had my 2 hens for just over 2 years from the point of lay. Sunday I introduced 2 new POL hens much to the elder hens disgust. The initial noise and parading around has calmed down but there is still some hen pecking going on (no blood thankfully).

My 2 new hens hide away in my wood store area, refusing to move, although the do come out of the coop on their own in the morning I have to put them to bed at night. They were out all day in the pouring rain because they refused to move inside. We have put food and water for them there but the elder hens peck them out of the way to steal the food. Both the new hens stick their heads out of the fence or bury their heads among the logs.

Today we noticed that one of the new hens left eye is permanently shut but no sign of damage or weeping around the eye area. She also has a runny nose and some sneezing going on. The other new hen only has a slight (blink and you will miss it) runny nose.

Having read many past posts on this forum and other information I am kind of thinking that the runny nose and sneezing could well just be a cold, due to being out in the rain etc. Also I have also put the closed eye down to being poked in the eye by something pointy in the log wood store. For now at least. (am watching and checking regularly for changes)

I dont have any issues with where I bought the new hens from, all stock appeared well healthy and well looked after. The suppliers were very helpful and knowledgeable. All birds  their birds are fully vacinated before they are available to purchase.

I want to perk the girls up a bit so what I really want to know what are the best tonics, medicines or treats for overall health and pick-me-up. Also any suggestions to aid my current situation would be gratefully received.

jhub

• jane
Re: tonics and pick-me-ups
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 22:55 »
Sounds as if thy could have an infection and suggest you visit the vet as antibiotics might be needed for all your hens.
Did you quarantine the new ones?
Hope things improve soon,
Jane

Truffle

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 18:04 »
Have took me hens to the vets and unfortunately the have Mycoplasma Gallisepticum. Apparently it can be triggered by stress such as moving home or lack of water.

The symptoms are gooey stuck together eyes or runny eyes. Runny nasal pasages. Sneezing, coughing, wheezing and rattley breathing that can be described as “Darth Vader” breathing.

I have to keep them away from my other chickens and administer medicine every day for 8 days.

poultrykeeper.com tells you a bit more.

Just thought I would post this incase someone else has a simular problem.

jhub

• jane
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 21:18 »
 Same thing happened with one of mine when I first got her, they were all treated with antibiotics and she recovered. Luckily no further relapses.
Hope they're better soon.
Jane

question
Poultry Tonics??

Started by Goldfinger on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 30, 2010, 01:45
by hillfooter
xx
How to pick up a hen?

Started by Devonian on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post October 05, 2009, 14:51
by Bigblacktaximan
xx
Can i pick your brains?

Started by too many girls on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post June 13, 2008, 13:56
by nettynoodles1
xx
pick up tomorrow

Started by Sadgit on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 13, 2007, 19:27
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.603 seconds with 30 queries.