Courgette Convert

• 66 Replies

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: Courgette Convert
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2012, 19:05 »
around half have rotted on the plant (starting from the join between the fruit and the flower).
Sounds as if they havn't been pollinated.  Give them a helping hand or use a paintbrush to transfer pollen from flower to flower. :)
Cheese makes everything better.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2012, 19:05 »
Hi chile paul and welcome to the site. :) This could be blossom end rot in your yellow courgettes which would be due to lack of calcium, however if you say it affects some then it is quite likely to be lack of pollination due to cool temperatures. Is this likely where you live bearing in mind the summer we had last year in the UK?
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2012, 19:05 »
Kind of snap. ;)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2012, 19:17 »
Courgettes depend entirely on insects for pollination, and also have the unfortunate habit of sometimes only producing flowers of one sex at certain stages of their development, which of course doesn't help one bit, especially if you only have a few plants.

The baby courgette often appears to start growing but then rots off, starting at the base of the remains of the flower as you have observed.

I use a cheap artist's paintbrush to transfer pollen from male to female flowers and rarely lose any fruit - although it can be done when the flowers are closed (having 3 hands helps!) it's much easier to do during the day when the flowers are all open.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2012, 19:27 »
hmmm is it just me that finds corgettes watery and tastless? however ive only ever had them roasted!

no not just you matt lots of people do  :D try chopping them into slices approx 1" in size turning them on there sides and just flash them under a high grill with butter smeared on top and freshly ground black pepper corns.most people over cook them --- hence something you would get in a rather bad rattatoie quick " n " fast is the secret  :D my plants grew to about a foot with pale white stems in my lounge and went on here in the video secction to see how to plant them out and then realised yet again too impatiant & early  :blush: binned them and yet to start again with them love any of the squash family --- if cooked correctly :D
Real knowledge is to know the extent of ones ignorance

compostqueen

« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2012, 10:52 »
I roast mine!  Courgettes that is   :D

Roasted on a large tray with a selection of other veggies with a dressing of olive oil and chilli flakes, thyme, rosemary or whatever your fave herbs and spices are

I cook courgettes in every conceivable way as they're cheap, good food and you're never stuck for a meal while ever you have courgettes on tap  :D   

Growster...

« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2012, 17:52 »
I roast mine!  Courgettes that is   :D

Roasted on a large tray with a selection of other veggies with a dressing of olive oil and chilli flakes, thyme, rosemary or whatever your fave herbs and spices are

I cook courgettes in every conceivable way as they're cheap, good food and you're never stuck for a meal while ever you have courgettes on tap  :D   

Quite right CQ, and you can also cook up the HUGE one which gets away every now and then...

compostqueen

« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2012, 09:11 »
The whoppers are fine for soup  :)

Courgette soup is a wondrous dish and is really quite posh to say it's made with the humble courgette.  If you've not tried it folks, then I urge you to do so  :)

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2012, 10:36 »
Courgette soup is a wondrous dish and is really quite posh to say it's made with the humble courgette.  If you've not tried it folks, then I urge you to do so  :)

courgette soup lovely  :D allway,s sauteed off some fresh garlic with the rest of the base veg stock though --gives it more body  :D works just as well with aurbegines another underated squash  :ohmy:
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 10:39 by DD. »

heloise

« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2012, 10:41 »
Courgettes are wonderful things, especially made into a chocolate and courgette cake. I made some the other year for a barbeque some friends were having and it was very popular, disappearing quickly.

The looks on some people's faces when I said what it was made of were priceless - 'but I don't like courgettes' they cried, after having scoffed big chunks of it  :D

Also use an old paintbrush to transfer pollen, though last year was terrible for some reason and many fruits seemed to rot or fall off or not develop anyway. Hope this year is better.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 10:43 by heloise »

compostqueen

« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2012, 11:26 »
I grow the yellow ones and these are brill for cakes and muffins as I tell folks it's lemon zest if they ask what are the yellow bits  ;)  My lot love my "carrot" cake  :lol:

Courgette bread is lovely as well

The courgette and choc is fabulous.  Folks who say they get fed up with them are just not cooking em right  :)

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2012, 12:23 »

Courgette bread is lovely as well

The courgette and choc is fabulous.  Folks who say they get fed up with them are just not cooking em right  :)
[/quote]

my chrissy  in ohio usa sent me a couple of book,s over --- she is vegitarian and thought it would help converting me & lowering my blood pressure & colestral level,s at the same time-- hence my stroke  :D --too much rich food & wickedly rich sauces when i was able to chef!!am now converted and use any squash in most meals,also have a couple of book,s from britt &brett daughter & son in law,they are both vegan --- dont think i would ever go that far though  :D quite a few recipes in that for cougette bread & loads about muffins with chocolate -- guess now i will have to give one of them a wirl was allway,s put of by thinking --yuk they will never go together and make something delichouse!! job for today as yet again hail,sleet $snow over here  :D

compostqueen

« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2012, 15:40 »
They add moisture to cakes and muffins.  Gluttony chutney (Hugh FW) is a good recipe to get rid of loads of them in one go  :D

I made a cheesey pasta sauce with them too which uses a great big frying panful. 

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2012, 15:43 »
I think you'll find it was "Glutney", CQ, as in using up the glut, but the other name is very apt!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 15:46 by DD. »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2012, 16:54 »
What size tin does that chocolate courgette cake work best in? That looks lush.

xx
Courgette Omlette and other courgette recipies

Started by mellowmick on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

56 Replies
Last post August 24, 2008, 00:44
by mashauk
xx
Val's Courgette Pie

Started by ytyynycefn on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post October 03, 2006, 23:19
by John
xx
courgette jam

Started by gert on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post September 04, 2011, 13:05
by Maryann
xx
Courgette Soup

Started by Michael D on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post August 23, 2009, 17:13
by Cazzy

Page created in 0.289 seconds with 37 queries.