sowing sweetcorn

• 23 Replies

mattwragg94

Re: sowing sweetcorn
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 13:44 »
i sowed mine last week in the un-heated greenhouse to! - however i agree with DD hang on abit
So why did you sow them?

im impatient  :lol:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2012, 16:12 »
I sowed two varieties in 3" pots yesterday. I bought two packets of seed before discovering different supersweet varieties shouldn't be grown together (but I learnt a lesson so it's all good!). So the plan is to grow one variety at the allotment and see how the other variety copes in planter bags in our back garden.

They are very hungry and thirsty plants, so make sure you give them enough food and water.  Also, don't forget to put them in blocks rather than long rows, in order to maximise the chances of succesfull germination.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

fluffstermum

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2012, 17:09 »
They are very hungry and thirsty plants, so make sure you give them enough food and water.  Also, don't forget to put them in blocks rather than long rows, in order to maximise the chances of succesfull germination.

We have a pack of the poly bag patio things to use at home, I think we could squeeze 4 plants in each at a push, so the plan is to huddle them all together.
We had good success at the plot last year with upside-down pop bottles as drip feeders for the pumpkins, so I'm hoping the sweetcorn will appreciate them too. Either way, it's fun giving it a go  8)

Gandan57

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2012, 08:56 »
Here are my 40 Mr Fothergills Swift sweetcorn seeds after 72 hours chitting. 12 hours previously the longest chits were only one third the length they are in the photo. 

21 of the 40 were potted up yesterday morning with another 11 to do today leaving 8 with no chits visible as yet.
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

Ian_A

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2012, 09:19 »
This old thread may be of interest all about sweetcorn planting  ;)
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=55464.msg656223#msg656223

Indeed.

Sadly in some ways the ever-updating, organic message forum that we know and love could be all but defunct or sterile as practically everything that is asked has been asked before many times over - one could of course simply refer back to an old thread each time and not engage in the (arguably more important to some) "near-live" dialogue/human contact.  :)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 09:24 by Ian_A »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2012, 09:46 »
By all means
engage in the (arguably more important to some) "near-live" dialogue/human contact. 
that you enjoy  ;)

It is just sometimes quicker and much easier for moderators ( who read every post!) to give the info required with a link - to the RHS, Blightwatch etc - and of course to past pages of this friendly Forum.

So please don't diminish referring to past posts as a way of passing on information - it is actually very effective.

Ian_A

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2012, 13:29 »
Not saying it is not effective and didnt want to annoy xx  I do agree and I am sure the forum is there to help the non-moderators as much it helps the moderators  ;)

Now I do think folk should be able to look back a bit, rather than post instantly without thought which is the easy/lazy way perhaps- although there is a fair bit of housekeeping that needs doing to make it easier if indeed the expectation IS to look back- but I wonder how many of the non-moderators do spend the time needed to trawl back through (even with "search") until they get precisely what they want amid the repetition and near-repetition until the will to live goes and the "oh heck, I could have asked and got several useful responses by now" feeling kicks in
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 13:43 by Ian_A »

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2012, 14:00 »
Not all questions are answered with a link to previous posts on the subject.  If I post a  link it is to something that contains very good information and explains better than I can.

The guiding principle of this site is that there is no such thing as a stupid question and all questions are repied to with courtesy. 

Moderators are unpaid volunteers who have some experience of and love for gardening.  I get as much out of this site as I put in to it.  There is no "them and us" mentality.
Cheese makes everything better.

Schubunny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2012, 14:39 »
I always search before I write a new post  :D I nearly always find an answer pretty quick.

xx
Sowing sweetcorn

Started by Muddywaters on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 31, 2013, 15:34
by JayG
xx
Sowing sweetcorn

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post April 05, 2011, 14:44
by TerryB
xx
Sowing Sweetcorn

Started by gavinjconway on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 18, 2013, 16:17
by gavinjconway
xx
Late sowing of sweetcorn

Started by InWarwickshire on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 24, 2021, 14:35
by Nobbie

Page created in 0.461 seconds with 32 queries.