Integrate a Cockerel or Not?

• 3 Replies

Harmonic

Integrate a Cockerel or Not?
« on: April 06, 2012, 18:25 »
Hello,

I have just obtained 6 Light Sussex hens, which are about 15 weeks old. I noticed today one of the hens seemed to be bullying one of the other hens.

Is it a prerequisite to add a cockerel to the flock to mange things, or would this cause more problems than it will solve?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 18:28 by Harmonic »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Integrate a Cockerel or Not?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 18:29 »
most don't have cockerels because of having neighbours. What is happening is just the normal pecking order dispute, keep an eye on it and if necessary use wound powder or purple spray should any injuries happen.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Harmonic

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 18:32 »
Apologies...I forgot to mention my birds are kept on an allotment, whereby other allotment holders keep cockerels.

Thanks.

kopperdrake

• Experienced Member
  • One Step at a Time
    • Merrybower Homestead
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 17:10 »
We 'inherited' a cockerel in January that was found wandering the lane outside. Not wanting to leave him out for the frost or fox to kill him off, and not finding his owner, we dropped him into a coop of 9 ladies one night - lucky fellah. The difference in the flock was amazing. Whilst there is always squabbling for pecking order positions, he immediately became top-chook and the bossy hens seemed to become less bossy to the others. He is also the consummate gentleman and I can watch him for hours. When new food comes he stands back and lets his ladies eat first. If he finds a bug or worm, he squawks, picks it up, drops it and points to it so a lady can rush over and eat it herself. I've watched him pick up and drop a poor beetle for 5  minutes until one of his harem came to see what the fuss was about.

We're lucky in that he doesn't mind being picked up either, so he's gentle to humans as well. All in all, having had one I don't think I'd keep a flock without one now. Don't get me wrong - there is still picking on by one hen to another, but it just seems far more tranquil now than before. The flock is only 8 at the moment, including him, though I'm on the lookout for three Light Sussex myself.

xx
How to integrate chicks?

Started by Carshay on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 06, 2011, 21:40
by Carshay
xx
rescued hen how to integrate with our chicks

Started by daisy1990 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 07, 2011, 20:07
by daisy1990
cheesy
Gay cockerel

Started by IMOmimey on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 03, 2009, 16:03
by pink-chicken
xx
new cockerel

Started by tim on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 10, 2008, 09:09
by tim

Page created in 0.303 seconds with 37 queries.