I finally took the dive!!

• 4 Replies

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
I finally took the dive!!
« on: April 04, 2012, 12:24 »
So i am now the proud owner of 4 lovely hybrids hens. The man we got them from was fantastic and help us with everything even showing my son how to hold them properly etc. Their names are Penny, Nugget, Sam and Ella  :D. My Dalmatian and Chinese crested were interested for about ten minutes and got fed up but our pup has been driving us round the bend until the past hour when he has finally got bored. He thinks there his new play mates  ::) Luckily though the hens aren't fazed at all. We got 2 eggs this morning which for the first time ever in his life my son ate and loved it he would never touch an egg before  :) How long would people advise i keep the girls in there run til i let them free range not that they seem to mind they seem to be quite settled digging around in there.  Thankyou everyone for your help the last month to give me that push but hey dont think youve heard the last of my questions lol i'll need you all now more than ever  :) :) 

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: I finally took the dive!!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 12:33 »
Congratulations on getting your 4 new girls.
I would try getting a container and putting either some layers in it or mixed corn. Everytime you want them to come to you rattle the tin/container and give them a little treat. They will soon learn the sound of that rattle and come racing over for a treat. Then you can always be sure they will come back when you want them. It usuallly only takes a couple of days (they are a lot quicker to teach then puppies  :lol:).
As for your puppy, never let it off a lead whilst your hens are out - I am going through the same training with Rosie at the moment and she has managed to catch a couple of hens trying to play with them, so far only a couple of feather lost but a close eye needs to be kept on her.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 12:46 »
Yes definitely will do hes a husky and is pretty big for a pup and although you can tell he just wants a good play with them he will probably squash them is off the lead  ::) Diva our Dalmatian has already told our pup off a couple of times for getting over excited cause Divas quite mummsy  ::) she just lies there by the run fast asleep as though shes guarding the girlies  :) Rambo our chinese crested doesnt care about them hes realised they are bigger than him lol  :lol: 

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 13:59 »
Welcome to the chicken newbie club, there are a lot of us at the moment. :D

A chicken breeder/shower who also has rescue labs about the place recommends one of those large water guns around in the kiddies toy section at the moment. Doesn't hurt the pup, just gives it a fright. :ohmy: Timing will be crucial though.

Chook just has to look at Bella and she scoots away. :lol:

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 14:39 »
Thanks tosca100 but im afraid my pup loves water lol if i have the hose on ever he will purposely get in the flow of it he even has his own paddling pool. ::) ::) Maybe thats why he seems to think he belongs in the coop because its his life long dream to be a duck  :lol: :lol:

xx
Time to dive in...

Started by Sadgit on The Hen House

56 Replies
Last post October 15, 2007, 18:44
by slowef
xx
Finally got to ask this

Started by Celtic Eagle on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post April 27, 2008, 22:32
by blulagoo
xx
I finally got my first egg!!

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post October 17, 2012, 10:41
by JaK
xx
Finally!

Started by skywatcher on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 19:13
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 31 queries.