Scented plants

• 32 Replies

Mrs Bee

Re: Scented plants
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 19:32 »
Trachelospermum jasminoides (false or star jasmine) has evergreen leaves and loads of beautiful jasmine scented flowers all summer.

Gardenia Kleim's hardy is good for a large pot, planted in ericaseous compost. The most glorious scent in the summer evenings. Keep in a sheltered sunny spot.

An evergreen shrub that I love for the fragrant flowers is Osmanthus. Several sorts: delavayi small pointed leaves, burkwoodii larger leaves, and heteraphylos which has holly like leaves. They are all covered in small white flowers that give off the most amazing scent in the spring. they will grow to about 6 foot but not if you have a pair of secoteurs in your hands ;)

If you want a winter flowering shrub that will blow your socks off for scent sarcococca, common name winter box. Everygreen again.
I keep several in pots by the back door for the scent to cheer me up in the winter months. the flowers are like little fluffy white mops.

Definately sweet peas.
Also the evergreen clematis Armandii is in flower now and the scent of that is gorgeous. You can get them with a white or pink flower.

Lillies all sorts of colours but make sure you get the scented ones. The Asiatic lilies look good but don't give you the scent. ALso be on the look out for the dreaded lily beetle if you plant any.

Can't help you with the roses, we don't like 'em.

Rich72

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2012, 23:28 »
Given me some good ideas there, thanks mrs ball

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2012, 00:00 »
Evening Primrose is another lovely smelling plant and long flowering.  :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2012, 08:51 »
Glad to help. My garden is planted for scent and all round interest hence all the evergreens. :)

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2012, 10:02 »
I have the 'Brownie Rose' which is yellow. That one smells fabulous.

I can't remember the name of my red one - it's been in the garden for years but it still smells great. It might be 'Ena Harkness' - not sure.

I simply went around the garden centre sticking my nose into various roses until I found one with the strongest fragrance and the colour I wanted. Can'tgo wrong that way.
Some say they are fragrant when really they're lacking in that department compared to others.

At the RHS garden Rosemoor in Devon there are 2 lovely rose gardens - found a peachy orange one that smelt so fragrant it was absolutely stunning. The scent of a rose is like a drug and I am addicted.
Now I wrote the name of that rose down somewhere...

Emma

Agatha

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2012, 13:32 »
Thanks for your thoughts guys. I have been looking at roses because I love the smell but I don't know the first thing about them. Anyone know which is best for scent? I would ideally like a red one

Try David Austin's Roses - they are amazing, old fashioned types but with great disease resistance and loads are strongly scented and repeat flowering.  Would be worth asking them what they recommend as they are really helpful. 
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

Rich72

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2012, 10:19 »
Thanks agatha

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2012, 10:32 »
Ooh Mrs Ball - forgot about Gardenias - divine scent!

:D

Mrs Bee

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2012, 17:46 »
Ooh Mrs Ball - forgot about Gardenias - divine scent!

:D

Totally, totally divine :) Can't wait for the warmer weather. We have one in a tub outside the patio doors and sitting on the patio or in the living room with the  doors open and a glass of wine in hand is an absolute delight. :D :D :D

Mrs Bee

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2012, 10:12 »
Have just read a piece in the Garden News about plants withgreat scents.
Apparently the writer of the piece highly recommends Petasites frigidus palmatus.

Tall stems with with clusters of white scented flowers that appear just before the foliage. Apparently it looks rather jungly, which I think you were looking for. Down side is that it is a tad rampant so pots would probably be a good idea ;)

heloise

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2012, 11:22 »
About the roses - Peter Beales roses http://www.classicroses.co.uk/index.php have a very comprehensive selection and the website is great as the search function is brilliantly useful at narrowing down the roses by colour/scent/type etc etc. by using the options on the left.

Had a lovely yellowy-orange rose from them called Whiskey mac which smells gorgeous.

mower man

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2012, 13:53 »
At the RHS garden Rosemoor in Devon there are 2 lovely rose gardens - found a peachy orange one that smelt so fragrant it was absolutely stunning. The scent of a rose is like a drug and I am addicted.
Now I wrote the name of that rose down somewhere...

I think you will find that rose is called  Fellowship   and I must agree with you
it is absolutely stunning
You may be only one person in the world,  but you may also be the world to one person.

maxyboo

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2012, 15:01 »
I remember buying a couple of Mr Lincoln roses from a cheapie shop and they are lovely, fragrant, and red.  We also had a Pink Peace which had a lovely scent too. :)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 15:05 by maxyboo »

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2012, 18:37 »
Lilac is another beautifully scented plant - can't believe I forgot about it!

Also - Choysia (possibly spelt that wrong but at least I remembered what it was called) - mock orange blossom - gorgeous. Our small plant has grown more than 10 times the size of our original plant in just 4 years. Worth every penny.

Emma

Mrs Bee

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2012, 11:45 »
Lilac is another beautifully scented plant - can't believe I forgot about it!

Also - Choysia (possibly spelt that wrong but at least I remembered what it was called) - mock orange blossom - gorgeous. Our small plant has grown more than 10 times the size of our original plant in just 4 years. Worth every penny.

Emma

Lilac can be a bit of a thug in a small garden.  Can't believe I forgot Choisyia. A real doer as you get evergreen leaves all year. Thre diiferent types too. 2 types of green but with different shaped leaves and one called 'Sundance' if I have remembered correctly with yellow green leaves and if planted in a shady area brings a brightness to it. Have several in the garden. :D

xx
Advice for scented cover

Started by qwerty565 on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post July 16, 2009, 20:15
by tam
xx
Scented leaf pelargonium plugs

Started by Lesleyk on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post January 12, 2013, 18:56
by tallulah
xx
Does night scented stock self seed?

Started by LivvyW on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post April 09, 2011, 20:48
by tosca100
xx
Best mixed coloured and scented sweet peas

Started by Goosegirl on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post July 18, 2015, 17:23
by surbie100

Page created in 0.254 seconds with 38 queries.