Got spuds not chitted

• 9 Replies

Dopey113

Got spuds not chitted
« on: March 29, 2012, 09:44 »
Ordered some spuds (from a well known retailer) and none of them has chitts on them, is this normal to send them out that way? if i have to do it myself, how long will it take for them to chitt?
If Its Not Growing... Its Dead.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Got spuds not chitted
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 09:46 »
If they're not chitted - don't worry, just plant them, it's not a necessity.

If they sent them out chitted, they'd probably only get knocked off in transit, in fact the supplier should be praised for storing them correctly.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 09:47 »
It is normal for them to arrive like that. Chitting normally takes a few weeks in a cool, light position.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Dopey113

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 09:53 »
Ok thanks, didn't know I could plant them not chitted, worry over, in they go... thanks

Salmo

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 10:50 »
You can just plant them as they are and they will grow.

If they are earlies it may be worth putting them in a reasonably warm place for a day or two, just in the house, not in the airing cupboard or anything, and they will show chits within about a week. That will have broken their dormancy and will give them a bit of a start. Second earlies and maincrop do not need this as it does not matter if they take time to get started.

Dopey113

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 11:14 »
OK reading on the forum, looks like I will get a better crop if I do chitt them before I plant them, so for the sake of a week or so, I think I will wait until they chitt, at the end of the day that's what its all about getting a good crop from them, I got 3 varieties,

'Lady Christl'
'Sarpo Mira'
'Charlotte'

I only have 20 of each, so if they chitt well, I might cut them and make a better crop, I have been told, after I cut them, to put lime on the cut, or leave them a few days to dry off before planting, and I was told after I plant them, to put lime on top of the earth as well, is the lime thing true?

The reason I ask is because (I'm now to gardening and allotments) I got my allotment quite late last year and put some spuds in for Christmas I didn't get a lot as they had blight.... so I wonder if I did the right thing or not now??
Thanks

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 11:21 »
don't lime your potatoes they'll be scabby!  :ohmy:

You can cut the big ones but they do tend to rot if you do even if you let them dry over  :(

The Christmas potato thing is difficult to get right, blight and frost are problems if planted out. I think the only successful way is in tubs in a greenhouse .

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 12:21 »
Chitting breaks the dormancy. Does not mean you'll get a better crop, just a bit earlier than you might have.

They'll start to chit once you throw them in the soil, so you may as well get on with it.

And yes - whoever told you to lime the soil needs a severe talking to!

Dopey113

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 16:16 »
Thanks all, and DD yes I will give him a talking to  ;) I will do it on Saturday I think, I have a lot to plant out this weekend, its definitely getting warmer in the evenings now

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 17:56 »
Gardeners World did an experiment several years ago on chitting.  There was no noticeable difference in yield between those which were, and were not, chitted.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Me spuds 'ave chitted - I didn't ask them to !

Started by Aunt Sally on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post January 19, 2009, 22:57
by Aunt Sally
xx
What should a chitted pot look like????

Started by greenbean on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 27, 2007, 15:17
by muntjac
clip
Are they chitted enough?

Started by Jackypam on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 20:54
by Jackypam
xx
potatoes/chitted

Started by mfconway on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 13, 2008, 19:21
by DD.

Page created in 0.689 seconds with 38 queries.