Backsaver autospade

• 18 Replies

Mr McGregor

Backsaver autospade
« on: March 25, 2012, 14:02 »
Hi everyone
I have been watching a friend on the next plot over the last couple of years use this spade to great effect. Anyhow, I've taken the plunge and ordered one. Has anyone else used one?

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Backsaver autospade
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 14:06 »
I think thats the tool discussed in this thread:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=88620.0

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 18:08 »
Hi everyone
I have been watching a friend on the next plot over the last couple of years use this spade to great effect. Anyhow, I've taken the plunge and ordered one. Has anyone else used one?

Oh yes!

Had one since 1987, and have blessed the day Mrs G bought it for me!

Got the fork attachment last year, and that has made life even easier!

They are fantastic tools, totally ugly and gawky to look at, but in action, they make digging a pleasure!

There are several on Ebay regularly...

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 20:21 »
I was lucky to inherit one in the shed of my plot,I really need to use it more to get to grips with it better. To be honest I think it's a bit big for me I'm only 5ft 2,I see lots of chaps on the plot going great guns with theirs.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 21:27 »
I was lucky to inherit one in the shed of my plot,I really need to use it more to get to grips with it better. To be honest I think it's a bit big for me I'm only 5ft 2,I see lots of chaps on the plot going great guns with theirs.

Springs, just lower the handles.

Undo the bolt at the top, and you'll get the right height!

I'm only 5'7" and need a bit of space  - you'll be fine believe me!

Go for it!

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 21:50 »
Yes I have done that & it's still a bit big or I need to learn a better technique. I had thought of getting Mr S to cut a bit off. ;)

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 22:04 »
Yes I have done that & it's still a bit big or I need to learn a better technique. I had thought of getting Mr S to cut a bit off. ;)

Snows (apols for the wrong name earlier), It does seem an odd action even if there seems to be too much height.

That's the key; the increased height - your arms are (ridiculously) out horizontal when you make the cut/dig bit, and put your foot on the pedal, but the leverage is just minimal on your arms and back when you pull back and the spit goes flicking away exactly where you want it to!

Seriously, if you want a blow-by-blow description of the action, I'll lead you though the whole process, because, yes, it is an odd way to dig, but believe me, you'll bless the day you got the hang of it!

Best wishes!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 10:17 by Growster... »

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 22:12 »
To be honest, that sort of action would not suit my plot preparation.

Every year, like everyone else's, it gets covered in a carpet of annual weeds. I simply dig these in and they get buried deep under at least 9" of soil as I turn it over.

Flicking it forward would not achieve the same results and I'd have to get rid of the weeds first, so two actions needed for the one I do now.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 07:12 »
The weeds do get buried DD, but you need to organise a good trench first.

The action just puts the underside of the spit up as the ridge on the trench edge, and the weeds are left at the bottom. The next row of digging covers the weeds and they die off as usual.

The final action, is to bring round the soil from the first row of spits and fill the trench you're left with, just like you do in double digging.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 10:16 by Growster... »

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 07:20 »
That doesn't seem to be the way the bl;oke was diggin in the link on the other thread!
He was just going at it hell for leather to prove how far he could go in a short space of time!

Gwiz

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 07:35 »
Weeds, you say?
Don't ever have any of those....... ;)

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 10:27 »
I'm not sure which video you mean DD, but if it is the one with the bloke in blue, then I think I'd agree,

The proper technique is to push the blade down near vertically, ease it forward a few inches, then hoik it back in one motion to get the spring to do the work of turning the spit upside down about 18" in front of you, or where you actually want the earth to go. You can 'steer' it to a certain extent, and can achieve an arc of about a couple of ft in each direction.

Promise - it really works!

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 10:29 »
That's the correct video!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 11:02 »
I used to have 2 sadly I sold both when I thought I would not need them anymore  ::)
Funny action but great to use, Like Growster says trick is to dig a trench at the front and go from there. Much like proper normal digging really.

Once you get the knack they are rather speedy and easy on the back. Worth the investment, just don't be tempted to take huge chunks up at a time you can strain or snap the long spring arm.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

snowdrops

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 20:31 »
Thanks Growster,I will try again 'cos like you say when used properly it looks loads better + I have got the fork attachment as you mentioned.

xx
Wolf Autospade

Started by Muckywelliesandabadback on Equipment Shed

10 Replies
Last post June 16, 2008, 16:52
by Muckywelliesandabadback
xx
Terrex ver Wolf autospade

Started by Fluff on Equipment Shed

11 Replies
Last post September 09, 2007, 23:37
by muntjac

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 29 queries.