dogs and hens

• 11 Replies

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
dogs and hens
« on: March 23, 2012, 19:50 »
As i have noticed a lot of you have dogs and chickens. I have 3 dogs that have never had much of a prey drive if any at all  ::) :lol: was just wondering how you all introduced your dogs and hens and if they free range together ok? ( obviously I would supervise though). any info  would be great  :)

themagicaltoad1

Re: dogs and hens
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 21:03 »
I have 2 dogs, my JRT is a killer, rabbits, birds, rats etc. the other dog is a lab cross and very docile. When we first got hens they used to eye each other up through the fencing, and we had to juggle dogs or chickens loose in the garden but not together. After a few weeks and a few pecks through the wire the dogs became less interested, so we had them on short leads while the chickens were out free ranging. With some stern words they soon learnt that the chickens were  a. out of bounds and  b. had a nasty peck! Now they all run around together quite happily in the garden.
chooks & dogs Oct 09 reduced.JPG
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 21:07 by themagicaltoad1 »

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 21:09 »
We got Penny when she was 11 months old, and she has always come into the runs with us.  She never bothers the chickens, except on 2 occasions.  

The first one was when she was standing watching me fill up the feeders, a couple of hens went underneath her and pecked at her nipples! (ouch) and the other time was when she had a bone on the grass and one of our pet hens went to have a peck at the bone and Penny turned and growled at her!   :)

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 21:25 »
Thanks for the replies. Poor penny ouch  ;) Like i say my dogs would make useless hunters one of my sons dwarf hamsters escaped when i was cleaning them the other day and ran towards all 3 dogs and they all nearly had a nervous breakdown  ::) Which was lucky cause my heart went in my mouth there would have been tears and tantrums if they would have caught it.  They've never bother about our budgie either so fingers crossed they will all live in perfect harmony but then life isnt always that simple so i just want to be prepared    :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 22:10 »
She soon got over it Dawn, but afterwards, she did look at the chickens in a new light!

She loved watching the little chicks, but if I picked one up and held it near her, she would back off!  Don't know why.

The only thing is, no matter how good our animals are, there is still always the chance that something could happen, but I think you are a sensible animal owner anyway, so your new chooks will be fine with the dogs!

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 22:17 »
Oh no I dont even leave my 3 dogs alone together if im out. so yes they will all always have supervision . :)

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 02:24 »
I have a staffe she's as daft as they come just licks the chucks  :wacko: they have got used to her now and just ignor her  :D
Chicken crazy

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 11:17 »
Aww tony h good to hear another person who can prove staffies are a lovely breed when given the right person. Too much bad media putting a red mark on a beautiful breed.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 11:23 »
I have 3 dogs - a Newfoundland x, a Neapolitan mastiff and now a Staffie x English Bull Terrier. The Newfie has never bothered with them, The Neapolitan did when she was little but only chased them and never caught them and now we have Rosie who is now 16 weeks old and she also chases them. She has managed to catch them but has never bit them (although a few feathers have been pulled out whilst attempting to catch them). My hens are all free ranging so we do have to keep a close eye on Rosie and she is responding very well to her clicker training. Hopefully by the time she is 6 months old she too will ignore the hens.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Thrift

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 11:34 »
Ben, our neighbours collie, was introduced at an early age and taught that the hens were not for supper; he now rounds them up and minds them, until something more interesting happens  :wub:

Our rescue lab, Bessie, ignored them totally but, now she is finding her feet, has the odd dive at one. Like you, we supervise and hope to prevent any unfortunate occurrences. We are also getting her to help with rounding up ..... rather than retrieve  one we hope  :lol:

bantam novice

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 17:55 »
I have a Jack Russel Terrier and a Springer Spaniel.  I wouldn't trust either of them around the chickens unsupervised but if I am out there they are fine.  They were introduced when the hens were confined behind electic netting and now the hens free range they all potter around quite happily.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Raven81

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 21:41 »
We have a rottie and he totally ignores the hens - when he's laying down in the garden they peck at him.  :wacko:
The glass is neither half empty or half full - it is simply the incorrect size! Find a new glass!

xx
dogs and free range hens

Started by andy and deb on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post June 13, 2011, 21:57
by Raven81
xx
Dogs

Started by Eggcentric on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 12, 2012, 09:15
by joyfull
xx
Chickens and dogs

Started by gsc on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post July 30, 2010, 17:46
by dhutchie
xx
2 dogs Vs His chickens

Started by FCG on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 02, 2008, 15:39
by FCG

Page created in 0.29 seconds with 29 queries.