crops per plant?

• 3 Replies

kentishgal

crops per plant?
« on: March 19, 2012, 22:32 »
This will be my first year 'attempting' to grow some veg in my garden but Im not sure how much produce I would be able to expect from various plants. Obviously things like onions are easy to work out and there is no such thing as too many strawberries!! :) But what about other popular plants (Ive bought seeds for courgettes, tomatoes, spinach, french beans, cucumber, pumpkin, brussel sprouts and might try peas too).
Im only feeding 1 person so how many plants should I try and grow?? :unsure:

viettaclark

Re: crops per plant?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 23:21 »
Some crops are easier to store (toms, peas beans brussels can be frozen if you've got a glut) pumpkin will store for a while, but courgettes and cucumbers need to be eaten fresh (although you can pickle)
Suggestion; 2 courgette plants (they grow big and take up room)
2/3 cucumbers (in big pots)
about 6 feet of spinach (try perpetual....it keeps going through the Winter)
6 Brussels (get hardy ones that will stand through Winter)
about 12 feet of dwarf beans and/or 6 runners
2 pumpkins depending on size
lots of tomatoes! (6+ plants)
I grow sugarsnap peas because I haven't got the room for the others. Just grow loads!!!!
What about carrots???????In my opinion they're the best garden crop as long as you net against the dreaded carrot fly.
There's also time to sow leeks........and don't forget salad leaves!
Does anyone think that's too much/little? I grow for 5 and never get it right!!!!! :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 09:38 »
This chart shows no of plants (righthand side) and the yield (lefthand side) for various crops
http://www.growingvegetablegardens.com/planHowMany.html
(although I must say that the number of seeds/plants per foot is very wrong for peas IMO)

Only you know how much of each you eat, so you need to work out how much to sow of each  :)

bigben

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 09:52 »
I agree with most of what Viettaclark suggests but remember to grow extra seedlings. I eventually grew 3 courgette plants last year but sowed 6 and had to replace two that got munched by slugs. Cucumber are notorious for just wanting to die! Sow at least twice what you plan on eventually growing and keep them going until they are well established. Last year I grew around 30 pumpkin and planted out 20 of them. They keep well but take a lot of space so you might need to cut down if you are short of space.

Ps - I think you are right about never having too many strawberries. I have planted another bed of them this year because last year was my first year and only gave me a few a day. Not enough for jam or pigging out on big bowls of them with cream. :tongue2:

xx
My first crops

Started by thrapston on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 20, 2008, 15:37
by mashbintater
xx
sbk and crops

Started by victoria_plum on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 21, 2010, 09:42
by victoria_plum
xx
What do my Crops Indicate

Started by trunk monkey on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 15, 2013, 11:05
by trunk monkey
xx
First ever crops

Started by snow white on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 16, 2013, 08:11
by New shoot

Page created in 0.441 seconds with 32 queries.