This years annual weeds

• 6 Replies

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
This years annual weeds
« on: March 18, 2012, 18:54 »
Is it just my plot or are yours really bad this year?

I thought i was digging much earlier this year and making a good start but been up today and the annual weeds are a nightmare - i honestly have never had as many as i currently do

My neighbouring plot has been left for the last two years which clearly isnt helping with the seeds blowing over into my plot but ive never had such a battle against them, particularly so early

Is it just me?

I wonder if its anything to do with the mild winter

Janeymiddlewife

Re: This years annual weeds
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 19:12 »
Mine are bad, but mainly because i used horse manure - oh boy - it's weed city central  :ohmy:  I'll clear a space for the autumn so i can have a load of cow manure delivered!

Salmo

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 21:54 »
One way to avoid overwintering weeds is not to dig too early in the Autumn. Wait until the soil has cooled a bit and seeds have stopped germinating.

This year has been so mild that I think weeds have been growing right through the Winter. Sometimes the only solution is to turn it over again in the Spring, but that is only possible on light soil where you are not dependant on frost mould for making seedbeds.

Yes Jenny, horses pass a lot of weed seeds straight through, especially grass seeds. If it has been kept in a heap for a year some of the seeds die, but not many.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 05:47 »
I think early germination of annual weeds is better than last year when we had a very dry spring soon after the arctic weather - all my beds looked wonderfully weed free until we got some rain later on in early summer and then the weeds not only germinated but grew very quickly and swamped my crops in the blink of an eye.  At least you can clear most of the weeds before sowing and planting to make a serious dent on them  :)

bigben

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 09:30 »
There are benefits to the early germination. I plan on giving my beds a hoe every week or so for the next month and hope this will kill off most of the weeds before I sow stuff. If the weather was colder or dryer then the weeds would not come up until after much of my stuff had been sown.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 09:32 »
I'm currently digging over our plots.

All the annuals are getting buried under 9" of soil, very few perennials this year.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Dom2599

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 16:33 »
I'm the same, although not as bed when i first started 3 years ago, mine are more in clumps now, mainly nettles. I'm sure the mild winter has helped the little blighters

xx
Weeds, Weeds and more weeds (oh and couch grass)

Started by meriad on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 23, 2019, 17:10
by jaydig
xx
Annual costs

Started by Comfry_Kid on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 31, 2006, 19:25
by kiowa
xx
My annual coriander question

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 28, 2011, 09:58
by viettaclark
xx
Spinach - perpetual or annual...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 14, 2021, 06:45
by Growster...

Page created in 0.437 seconds with 29 queries.