Newbie question on growing potatoes

• 11 Replies

moretvicar

Newbie question on growing potatoes
« on: March 14, 2012, 13:53 »
Hi All.
Not a complete newbie as such but just aquired first allotment  :) and am after some advice on growing spuds in a bed system.
What would be your advice on spacings for a "typical" 4ft wide bed?

Second question, just ordered some seed, ETA one week - is it worth chitting earlies now, or should I plant them straight away?
Ta
Nick
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 13:59 by moretvicar »

Goosegirl

Re: Newbie question on growing potatoes
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 14:41 »
I use a 4ft bed though I do have trouble earthing up two rows lengthwise. My D-I-Law was a farm labourer and they never chitted them but used to plant them deep and earth up at the same time. Spacings I have used before have been 12-15", depending on variety.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 14:52 »
I agree, you will just fit 2 rows into a 4' wide bed. I plant mine 12" apart and 8" deep and earth up as they show. I think the jury is still out on chitting - some say you do, some say you don't  :)
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 16:14 »
I have 8'x4' raised beds and get 28 potatoes in by planting seven rows of four spuds across the width.  With lots of manure and water I've always had a good crop.  I earth up by adding more manure and compost.  Werks fer me. :)
Cheese makes everything better.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 17:04 »
Given that many buy their seed spuds from garden centres which insist on stocking them from the beginning of January, chitting is more of a necessity than an option!

The spuds have to sprout before they can grow so it seems pretty likely that a chitted potato will be up and running before an unchitted one, but in my opinion it's not worth actually delaying planting just to chit earlies (or any others.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

MyAchingBack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 12:17 »
I have 8'x4' raised beds and get 28 potatoes in by planting seven rows of four spuds across the width.  With lots of manure and water I've always had a good crop.  I earth up by adding more manure and compost.  Werks fer me. :)

I have a plot 8'x4' and am going to plant British Queens. Will this spacing work for me or will I run out of soil earthing up?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 12:32 »

I have a plot 8'x4' and am going to plant British Queens. Will this spacing work for me or will I run out of soil earthing up?

That technique and spacing also requires the "earthing up" to be done by adding additional manure and compost (the "rows" are only 1 foot apart which means there is no soil in between the rows to earth up with.)

I just about get away with spacing my rows only a little over 2' apart - the spuds are planted in trenches, then some of the excavated soil used to cover them up - I can subsequently earth up at least twice from the between-row soil, but it takes a certain amount of precision work with the draw hoe!

(If space wasn't at a premium I'd space the rows nearer to 3' apart and make life much easier for myself!)

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 12:52 »
Your earlies can go in from about now onwards dependent on future frost conditions... and it would seem pointless chitting for a few weeks when they could be in the ground.. I'd just put them in now if your frost belt is sort of over in 6 weeks or so. My FIL never chits at all and has grown spuds for 30 years. He also always just digs a trench a foot deep, shoves a handful of potato fertilizer, plants and then covers and then also pulls up the soil from the sides to make a ridge about a foot high. He then forgets about them for a few months till they are needing a bit of feeding which he plonks some on the ridge, and lets the rain take it down. No need for earthing up at all.. It saves a lot of time and effort later on.  His spacing is at least 2' apart so your 4' can just get 2 rows in..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

MyAchingBack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 16:13 »
Your earlies can go in from about now onwards dependent on future frost conditions... and it would seem pointless chitting for a few weeks when they could be in the ground.. I'd just put them in now if your frost belt is sort of over in 6 weeks or so. My FIL never chits at all and has grown spuds for 30 years. He also always just digs a trench a foot deep, shoves a handful of potato fertilizer, plants and then covers and then also pulls up the soil from the sides to make a ridge about a foot high. He then forgets about them for a few months till they are needing a bit of feeding which he plonks some on the ridge, and lets the rain take it down. No need for earthing up at all.. It saves a lot of time and effort later on.  His spacing is at least 2' apart so your 4' can just get 2 rows in..

So I'll only be able to plant 20 chitting spuds then  :(

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 16:22 »

Exactly so  :D

and there is plenty of earth to earth them up, no worries
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

beaker141

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 22:05 »
I've got 8ft * 5ft beds and planted 3 rows last year with about 4-5 potatoes - it worked well and I had some really big potatos but felt there was too much room between everything.

This year I'm planning on planting a bit denser, so I'm going for 4 rows and probably 7 spuds in the 8ft row.

I realise the potatoes might be smaller - but smaller than a house brick isnt going to cause me too many issues ;-)

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 22:14 »
Raised bed growing is all about planting closer, usually equal distances between each plant.  If the seed packet says 12" apart I put them in at 8"all round.  What you lose on the paths you gain from the closer spacings.  But, you do have to keep on top of the weeding watering and feeding.

xx
Potatoes - a very newbie question!

Started by Digger Mum on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 01, 2009, 11:38
by aelf
xx
Newbie question on potatoes

Started by ianjmatt on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 27, 2009, 13:25
by DD.
xx
Newbie question re potatoes

Started by Bowmanera on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 31, 2008, 18:34
by Caddi fuller-teabags
xx
Courgette Growing-Pollination question(probably a silly novice type question!)

Started by Marcus10 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 30, 2012, 10:11
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.461 seconds with 30 queries.