peas in containers

• 7 Replies

annied

peas in containers
« on: March 11, 2012, 15:54 »
hello everyone
we have given up our allotment this year (not enough time plus other issues) but have started growing at home with a few raised beds. We have done runner beans in pots several years running now, but was wondering about the success of peas in the same environment. Does anyone have any tips to share and a variety to recommend. Wanted to get planting asap
Thanks  :)

Trillium

Re: peas in containers
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 16:07 »
Not done them myself, but I have seen articles where people grew peas in pots. Mostly the tall climbers for best yield as well as wigwam type support for the peas. The soil will need to be enriched with manure/compost to keep the plants healthy, but it can be done. You'll just need to make sure the pots aren't too shallow or the soil will dry out too quickly.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 16:11 »
I've got a very large pot which is wider at the top than it is at the bottom.  Last year I grew my Alderman peas in it climbing up canes but in a reverse wigwam!  the canes were stuck down the side of the pot, so lent outwards rather than inwards and many of the peas grew on the outside of the canes so were easier to see than if they were the traditional wigwam that I usually use.

Didn't get loads and loads, but I think that was probably me not watering them often enough!  :(

annied

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 16:54 »
ok thanks for that. I was wondering if I could wrap net around the canes so I wouldn't have to tie them in. Or ar they like sweet peas where they eventually support each other ?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 17:03 »
You will either have to tie them in, or provide netting for them to cling onto. They won't wrap themselves around canes like runner beans.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Totty

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 20:13 »
If you grow one of the varietys that does not grow too tall you could just put five or six canes around the outside of the pot and just wrap sisal or twine around them. This will give the plants something to grab and stop them leaning out of the pot.

Totty

solway cropper

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 22:19 »
I always get my first crops of peas and beans from seed sown in big pots in the greenhouse. The pic shows Kelvedon Wonder growing in a small cattle-lick tub.
peas.jpg

annied

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 18:29 »
Thanks to all who posted. i have bought Kelvedon Wonder and wiil give them a go in a large pot and see what happens  :)

xx
Growing peas in containers

Started by Donnay on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 20, 2013, 22:51
by grinling
question
Hurst greenshaft peas Support required (me and the peas)

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 22, 2019, 17:46
by Twood
xx
Containers

Started by ANGEL_S on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post January 04, 2009, 15:33
by kezlou
xx
PSB in containers

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 26, 2020, 22:11
by JoshP

Page created in 0.536 seconds with 28 queries.