mouldy garlic

• 13 Replies

tomato-joy

mouldy garlic
« on: October 21, 2007, 16:23 »
Afternoon,

I've just opened the envelope in which I was sent my garlic, ready for planting, only to find that they are all mouldy and there's definitely no lovely garlicky smell. There is a light dusting of mould on the bulbs and they have started to separate.  :cry:

I'm so disappointed having spent weeks preparing the bed on my allotment. I'm assuming that I absolutely can't use them?
trying to be organic...

WG.

mouldy garlic
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 16:26 »
Who was the supplier?

Annie

mouldy garlic
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 16:56 »
If you`ve only just recieved them then call your suppliers as most are good at replacing things.If they`ve been sitting in the envelope for a while then I`m sorry you needed to keep them open in a cool place ,but you have time to order some more.

agapanthus

mouldy garlic
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 17:19 »
Quote from: "Annie"
If you`ve only just recieved them then call your suppliers as most are good at replacing things.If they`ve been sitting in the envelope for a while then I`m sorry you needed to keep them open in a cool place ,but you have time to order some more.

I'm sure they would'nt have gone off so quickly.......more than likely iffy stock.

splodger

mouldy garlic
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 18:08 »
send them back - or at least phone and complain - and demand replacements

tomato-joy

mouldy garlic
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 19:36 »
from a very reputable supplier...and they were open and in a well ventilated room.

sigh.

Sally A

mouldy garlic
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 19:41 »
A few of the bulbs on mine from the really garlicky co were showing a bit of mould, but they did have a bad year re damp, and also I got the estimated number of cloves per bulb that were OK, so I just stuck them all in, albeit the slightly mouldy ones went at the edge where they woulld have more to contend with.

muntjac

mouldy garlic
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2007, 20:01 »
if you had them in a  heated room ? im afraid your at fault they will have not been dried completly on sending them to you .  :( but call email anyways and  oif the company any good .they will replace them . :D  must be kept in a cool dry place ( outside shed ) .they are after all onion family  :wink:
still alive /............

WG.

mouldy garlic
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2007, 21:20 »
Quote from: "tomato-joy"
from a very reputable supplier...and they were open and in a well ventilated room.
Reason I asked is that I hope it wasn't Really Garlicky Co. (as I know it wasn't from me).

Not sure why you won't name the company but if they replace or refund promptly then their reputation is surely upheld.

mkhenry

mouldy garlic
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2007, 22:07 »
Quote from: "WG."
Reason I asked is that I hope it wasn't Really Garlicky Co. (as I know it wasn't from me).

Not sure why you won't name the company but if they replace or refund promptly then their reputation is surely upheld.

I tried to find the RGC on the web but they no longer seem to have a site.

WG have they gone or have I an out of date Web adress. :wink:
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

WG.

mouldy garlic
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2007, 22:10 »
Quote from: "mkhenry"

You gotta get rid of AOL Henry  :wink:

www.reallygarlicky.co.uk

mkhenry

mouldy garlic
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2007, 22:16 »
Quote from: "WG."
Quote from: "mkhenry"

You gotta get rid of AOL Henry  :wink:

www.reallygarlicky.co.uk

Many Thanks WG :oops:  :oops:

tomato-joy

mouldy garlic
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2007, 10:14 »
I'm just waiting to see if the company responds to me as I don't want to bad mouth them if they are happy to make good.

They weren't in a heated room, so I can't really see why they would have gone mouldy.

WG - have you got any left that you could sell me for this year? My garlic rotted in the ground last year, and didn't even make it to the ground this year - i'm beginning to think it's not to be.  :?:

mushroom

mouldy garlic
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2007, 10:51 »
They weren't in a heated room, so I can't really see why they would have gone mouldy.

Hi,

Stored garlic doesn't like the wet. It doesn't like damp either. It likes to be positively dry, arid. It wants to be kept in netting. You don't want to put it in a plastic bag, or it will sweat, regardless of temperature.

Garlic itself will abstract moisture from the atmosphere. It is very hygroscopic. I doubt there is a place in a regular house where garlic can be stored without modifying where it is stored. Our climate is too damp and houses are too warm. or if they are cool, they are too damp. The ideal conditions are very dry and below 4°C

I've planted 48 sets. I will be storing them in an airtight container containing desiccant (silica gel). I can store to 10C, maybe a little less, but it's the best I can do without getting a refrigerated room!

xx
Mouldy Garlic

Started by Lenny59 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 20, 2009, 23:15
by pol and mick
sad
Mouldy Garlic

Started by Charlie's Chickens on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 07, 2009, 12:56
by Charlie's Chickens
xx
mouldy seeds

Started by massa on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 12, 2010, 16:54
by massa
xx
peas gone mouldy

Started by juliec on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 15, 2011, 16:06
by juliec

Page created in 1.341 seconds with 28 queries.