Pots on growbags

• 21 Replies

mattwragg94

Re: Pots on growbags
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 10:58 »
its not just morrisons who sell them  - your local florist will have some too!

brown thumb

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 15:22 »
i ve been growing my toms in florist buckets for years now (ring culture )and i sink an up turned bottle with bottom cut off   in the grow bag near to each tom plant . feed goes in the bucket  only

Totty

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 19:53 »
That sounds good JayG, but even the slow release will still mean the compost directly underneath will be wet and the compost on the outside of the bags will be damp at best. After thinking today though i will be using 2L coke bottles with the lid on, upturned in the middle of the bags with the leaky hose running the length of the bag and being fed from the bottle.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2012, 00:56 »
I grew my cukes this way last year, with pots on top of growbags, and it seemed to work very well. I did a comparison experiment, a couple of plants in one growbag with pots and a couple more in another growbag without pots, and the ones with pots were definitely stronger and healthier and cropped better. I just used a couple of old plastic tubs that my horse's supplement came in, maybe about 8", and chopped the bottoms off.

hightide

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2012, 20:31 »
I'm confused now :unsure:
I thought the method for ring culture in growbags was that you cut the bottom off some florists bins rammed them into the growbag twisting as you go and cut out the depression. The bins are then pushed into the compost, a smaller bottomless bin or pot is placed inside the ring the plants are then planted in the smaller pot. Water is fed into the ring between the two pots, liquid feed is fed into the smaller pot. The idea is to keep the growbag compost wet allowing the tap roots to go where they will. The feeding roots near the top are then are then able to benefit from the liquid feed.   
A weed is a plant that's in the wrong place and intends to stay

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2012, 20:55 »
Yes, that is the proper ring culture technique.  People on here are using a cut down version - water the growbag and feed inside the pot.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2012, 21:04 »
the original ring culture system was a single bottomless 'ring culture' pot pushed into a deep bed of gravel or earth, which was kept wet.. You planted into compost in the pot and added feed there as well - the roots could grow into the gravel/earth for water.

Then growbags were invented and used for the bottom bed, but it was difficult to keep those evenly wet, so people started adding a small pot for watering into. Feeding was still into the top pot.

Then the double growpots were invented, plant and feed in the inside one water in the outside one.

Any set up that provides enough compost/feed and water will grow lovely tomatoes. it's up to you how you actually do it  :lol:

xx
Growbags or pots, plants per grow bag?

Started by mclarkuk1 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 18, 2011, 14:18
by bigben
smiley
Outdoor Cucumbers Pots v Growbags

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 03, 2019, 11:50
by Kenilworth
xx
What do you do with spent compost from pots & growbags?

Started by Fat Hen on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post September 30, 2007, 12:21
by muntjac
xx
GROWBAGS

Started by JJ on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 14, 2009, 23:19
by johnfh

Page created in 0.481 seconds with 30 queries.