Good veg for shady plot

• 4 Replies

richrua

• Experienced Member
    • allotment ireland
Good veg for shady plot
« on: March 03, 2012, 00:00 »
A good half of my plot is in shade for much of the day because of a bank of trees.

I have some rhubarb and comfrey. What else could I grow in the shady bit?
You'll never plow a field by turning it over in your mind.

"Tús maith leath na hoibre."

jrko

Re: Good veg for shady plot
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 08:12 »
Is it completely shaded all day all year?  If you are not getting much sunlight now that could change a lot in the next few weeks.  My plot is about 2 weeks ahead of others at our site due to a 20ft screen of hedging coppiced trees.  Come mid April though and they get sun for most of the day

Look at your plot on Google maps.  Top of the map is always dead north, bottom is.......  Its a great way for placing your plot and figuring out the suns transition from sunrise to sunset.
Hello.  My name is James, the builder of Evil Shed mkII and The Greenhouse of Doom.  Please enjoy the madness of my Plot Diary here:
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=107298.0

Springlands

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 08:19 »
There are lots of veggies that will grow in a partially shady area but they do need some sun.

Salad leaves, beetroot, peas, radish, chard, spinach, kale are just a few examples. 

AnneB

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 17:14 »
I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, but the only thing to put in the shade is the shed.

Vegetables need light to grow.   The other problem will be the trees will take a lot of moisture and compete with your vegetables for it.

I tried for several years in the garden but eventually gave up after such poor results and got my allotment instead.  I still use the old plot in the garden to start things off in a cold frame and to grow lettuce, herbs, spring onions and the odd tomato that I can't fit in anywhere else. 

If you have no choice and not in full shade then salads and herbs don't do too bad.  Possibly outdoor tomato, courgette or potatoes, but don't expect bumper crops. I have had modest success in the past occasionally with these last 3, but not guaranteed.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 18:48 »
Last year I had a small garden share and the only thing that grew sort of well was my spuds. They were partly shaded and not much direct sun from mid-day onwards..   BTW I've given it even before my lottie was allocated!!
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

xx
Shady plot

Started by Falcon_man on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 11, 2008, 08:44
by blackhobbescat
xx
how shady is too shady for comfrey ?

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 03, 2012, 18:52
by richrua
xx
Good looking plot

Started by paul meese on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post September 02, 2008, 19:18
by paul meese
xx
new to my plot and need advice on generating good soil...

Started by steve chip on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 02, 2012, 18:54
by Christine

Page created in 0.511 seconds with 29 queries.