Smoker

• 15 Replies

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
  • :) :) :)
Smoker
« on: March 02, 2012, 21:10 »
Hi guys
A little question to get the brains thinking, has anyone out there made a smoker? i'm looking at making one as cheap as possible to go on my allotment.  i like the idea of being up there all day in the summer food on the smoker in the morning eating it with a bottle of wine ans some veg in the evening. any plans/drawings list of materials etc would be great  :) ;)
Dear God, Please can you stop the wind and rain and bring on the nice weather. Amen

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Smoker
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 22:23 »
Not sure if Muntjac got his smoker finished, but he was going to make it out of an old woodburner!

My Brian wants to make one, perhaps opening up our chimney, but he has a list of jobs as long as his arm, so I won't hold my breath!

There were quite a few on the internet once when I was looking for ideas for him though.  Good luck with it!   :)

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 23:19 »
Here's an interesting method here:

fGy-icpwmEsfeature=related

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 05:05 »
Any chance of altering a chiminea?

Vit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 12:51 »
Ummm you need 200l metal drum, some grills, 3-4mm metal wire, grinder, a spare time and some tea+cookies or beer+whateveryoulikeassnack  :D

8doubles

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 13:39 »
Hot smoking is easy and you can do it in an old wok with a lid over a gas burner or even a small open fire. I have a converted gas barbi i hot smoke small amounts of fish in .

Cold smoking is a bit more technical as you have to keep the smoke ticking over for many hours and keep it cool. The smoke dust /chips or pellets always try to burst into flames or go out altogether if you are not there to adjust it.

Give hot smoking a go !

jrko

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 13:40 »
A Portugese chap up at our allotments used a very small pot bellied stove with a funnel bent from a piece of steel.  It starts round at the stove and ends up rectangular.  This sits inside a standard brick BBQ with no bottom tray and the lid shut.

Easier is take a small BBQ with closable lid.  Make a pipe that comes out of the top and back round to the bottom, circulating the smoke.  Use wood chips mixed with hot ash/embers.
Hello.  My name is James, the builder of Evil Shed mkII and The Greenhouse of Doom.  Please enjoy the madness of my Plot Diary here:
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=107298.0

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
  • :) :) :)
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 14:08 »
might have to try and get some bits and piece together and have a play.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 14:14 »
If you do Dan, we need progress photo's!   :D :D

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 14:16 »
I've got a little smoker that Joyfull gave me, but I haven't tried it out yet.  What wood chips are best?

8doubles

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 17:17 »
I've got a little smoker that Joyfull gave me, but I haven't tried it out yet.  What wood chips are best?

It`s all down to personal taste but i think oak is as good as any.

This should help, http://www.boat-angling.co.uk/Hints_and_Tips/Howtoguidehotsmokingfish.htm

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 17:22 »

I 'relieved' Bowyers (post being sold down the river by management) of two stainless steel boxes, with close fitting lids 2' X 2' X 2' that were used to mix the egg wash for the pork pies prior to baking.   

One is a smoker and the other is a water bodger.    :D  Cheers,     Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

safetrade

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 09:33 »
careful what wood you use as some of it is poisenous.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 10:47 »
It depends on whether you want to make a hot or a cold smoker. There are plenty plans for both types on the internet though...

We have one of those vertical American hot smokers, which to be honest isn't all that great, as it is hard to keep the fire bit ticking evenly to cook food safely. It is much harder than a barbeque to regulate. With that in mind, OH has been planning to convert it into a cold smoker by employing little more than an additional length of corrugated ducting and a suitably constructed wooden box to collect the smoke and accommodate the food being smoked.

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Vit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 13:11 »
Cherry/pear/peach tree or manuka tree. :D

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 31 queries.