New to it all :-)

• 16 Replies

Lmo25

New to it all :-)
« on: March 01, 2012, 18:12 »
Hi everyone, new to the site and to chicken keeping and just a had a few questions.

My son has been asking for some chickens for about 6 months so for his birthday we decided to get somey. We went on a poultry keeping course but now wee have our girls I seem to keep getting new questions popping up.

We got a couple of gold laced wyadottes on Saturday but they seem really timid, i don't want to scare them more by chasing them round the run but I want them to get used to being handled. What is the best way to go about it? I also want to let them free range but it is a large area and i am worried in case they don't come back. How long should they be kept in the run area before they can be let out?
Any advice would.be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Lila :-)

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
Re: New to it all :-)
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 18:32 »
I suggest that you start your handling after they've gone to bed at dusk - you can then pick them up easily to check over or just hold for a cuddle.

During the day, I found that if the girls saw humans as the source of food, they very quickly learned to hang around right under my feet so they became easy to stroke or pick up.  Every time you go near the run, have some treats - a little grain, a bit of sweetcorn, lettuce or whatever - in your hand and sit still, scattering treats gradually closer to your feet so they see that the scattered food is from your hand.  You'll be astounded by how quickly they'll see you as a good friend!

I can't advise about how long before you let them out, as my girls are limited to an area of the garden, not freely ranging.  However, it doesn't take them long to remember where they go to bed at night.
ManicMum

hen-night

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 18:38 »
Hi and welcome, perfect answer from ManicMum.I let mine out within a couple of days once they had settled down. A few treets in your hand works wonders...

Lmo25

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 21:07 »
Thanks a lot for the great advice. I do normally take them some food everytime I go to see them but they are still very jumpy will keep it up though. We have had 3 eggs from one already which I thought was really gd considering we'v not even had them a week. :-) My son enjoyed them. Will maybe try letting them out on Saturday when we will be around.

Could I ask another quick question? Could you leave them over night by themselves? The coop and run are all secure but I normally take there food and things in and give it a clean at night when.they are in the coop. If we were away would it be ok just to leave them plenty of food/water and be back by the following morning?

Thanks again for your help :-)

hen-night

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 21:19 »
Hi, all through the late spring and summer even into Autumn as my coop and run is secure, the door to the coop is never closed.
The hens have a choice to roost outside or in, its left to them.
But I must remind you, my set up is 100% foxproof..

Lmo25

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 23:16 »
Thats great thanks a lot for your help. The coop and run i'm prity sure are 100% fox proof. Run area is slabbed to stop anything digging under and the coop is off the ground but I would have to leave the door open so they could get in and out to the run. Worried they might get cold  :wub:.

Also when we got our chickens we were planning to get 4. However we were let down an could only get 2 on the day :(. I have heard a lot of mixed opinions about adding more chickens and was wond ering if it is possible. What is the best way to do so?
My son is really happy with the chooks but I am worried incase something happens to one of them and the other one is by itself.
I know i have a lot to learn thought I was ready after 2 months preparations....but obviously  not.
 :)

kegs

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 10:10 »
Adding new chickens to an established flock is tricky, and if they come from different suppliers it's always best to quarantine new chickens first.  Sometimes it can go well and sometimes badly, which I know is no answer.  I started off with 3, then lost one to a prolapse in the first week so I had to return to my supplier to get another one but was advised that integrating 2 new ones would be easier.  We popped them straight in with no problems whatsoever.  I think this was because they had all come from the same place so even though they hadn't been in together they perhaps recognised each other, and more importantly the initial group hadn't had long enough to establish themselves.

I'd say, in your situation, (as long as your coop and run is large enough) and assuming you are getting them from your original supplier, go for it and get the extra girls now.

p.s. I bought our first 3 chickens as a birthday gift for my OH and son.  10 months later they do no clearing out whatsoever and we now have a second coop, an incubator, brooder box, 4 hybrids, 4 table birds ready for the pot and 5 Salmon Faverolles and some hatching eggs ordered for delivery in April!  Chickens are very addictive. You have been warned!  ;)

Lmo25

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 15:16 »
I can imagine that they are very addictive, only had them a week and i'm thinking aww it would be nice to have some chicks hatching for him  :). My son is only 4 so new i'd be the one to do the cleaning out but he had is heart set on them, even tried bribing him with a puppy to no avail!  :D
Thanks for the advice on adding new chooks. Will have to try and persuade OH as the breeder wants £25 per bird so he wadn't to happy at paying £100 :wub: or chickens. Plus everything else I made him buy for them :-D. Will try and work on him tonight  :lol:.

Thanks again

Lmo25

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 18:48 »
Well let the girls out for the first time tonight and it went really well .  :D It was great seeing them out about  doing what chickens like to do. They went back in no problem as well so they seemed happy with the set up. Plus had 2 eggs today. Although my son cracked one coming back to the house.  :wub: xx

Sassy

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 09:00 »
I don't know the value of the Wyandottes but there are breeds that you should be able to get at a price lower than £25 each. Apart from 2 special breeds for which I paid £15 I have never paid more than £10 for a POL bird. I do think it depends which area of the country you are in though and with the increasing popularity of chickens some people are jumping on the band wagon and charging a fortune to the unsuspecting. You could try two more that will lay different coloured eggs for example. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Lmo25

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 18:48 »
Yeah I did think it was quite steep! Have found another breeder nearby who sell RIR crosses for £10 so will maybe try there when adding to the flock  :).

Bit worried about 1 of my chooks as well as she has started sneezing and the feathers on her chest look all dishevelled. I hadn't wormed them because I was told they weren't due till next month but have ordered Flubivet for then. I picked her up tonight as well and she feel quite skinny plus her neck seems swollen. I have let them out to free range for the past 3 days but their feeder has almost been emptied and they have been eating treats we have given them. She was also lying down earlier when I went out. Quite worried. ??? Should I call the vet? Any advice welcomed gladly. Thanks

Sassy

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 08:27 »
Flubenvet unlikely to help with sneezing, may be a good idea to isolate her.

Her neck should be swollen at night - this is her crop which is full of food. In the morning it should have gone down as the food has been digested.

Laying hens are skinny and are not as plump as you imagine under all those feathers - how does she compare to the others?

Hybrids - RIR crosses - are usually cheaper than pure breeds but are generally good layers. :)

Lmo25

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 08:51 »
Yeah the swollen bit in her neck has gone down which is a relief. Silly me :wub:.
Not really wanting to isolate her asI only have 2 and don't have another coop. Is there anything I can get for.her? Should I phone the vet? Any advice welcome  ::) Thanks

Lmo25

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 09:12 »
Ps yeah they both feel the same skinny wise.

bood77

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 06:25 »
well i would say if you want them friendly i would sit with them for about halfan hour a day and take feed and place food near you and hopefully they will come to eat then i would pet them and show them you are friendly

Page created in 0.55 seconds with 28 queries.