Banana Shallots and Onions

• 6 Replies

Auntiemogs

Banana Shallots and Onions
« on: February 29, 2012, 11:05 »
Hello all. A couple of questions if you don't mind as it is my first year with alliums.

Firstly, I planted some banana shallots from sets last year but nothing is peeking yet.  :( Does it take a while to get them going (I would have a furtle but don't have many so I don't want to disturb them)? The bulbs feel firm and are not rotted at all.

Secondly, I also planted some overwintering onion sets last year (Senshyu Yellow and Karmen) and they seem to be doing ok (so far). The problem is that in my enthusiasm last year I also ordered some spring sets (Stuttgarter Giant & Red Baron) which have now arrived and I don't have space for them.  ::)
I can plant a few in my (small) brassica bed but would it be ok to put them in 3" pots for a few months to grow on and then maybe hoik the others out early for pickling/freezing (as I know the Senshyu will not store well) and then plonk the potted ones in? If I were to do this, what is the latest I could do this? 

All help would be greatly appreciated.

Mags  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

BabbyAnn

Re: Banana Shallots and Onions
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 11:42 »
Shallots don't grow like garlic or overwintering onions - their leaves won't make a show until it starts to get warmer, but don't worry, the bulbs sitting in the soil are growing roots and ready for putting a spurt on when it gets warmer.

Not sure about potting on and planting out summer onions in a bed already used for overwintering onions - personally I wouldn't but then I also have the dreaded white onion rot on my plot so always wary.

How about interplanting/companion planting some among your other crops such as carrots or beetroot, celery ... ?

Ivor Backache

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 12:19 »
I bought a small bag of banana shallots. I have never tried them before. They are sitting on a bed of compost in a coldframe waiting for their place to be prepared. They have not
sprouted but the ordinary shallots have.
I have also tried senshyu onions for the first time but I don't see them maturing until August and so replacing them with your main crop is not really an option.
I make a lot of use of supermarket cut flower pots (early potatoes , carrots). As a suggestion transplant the senshyu to the pots say 3 to a pot and then plant out your maincrop onions in the vacated bed. Onions develop a large root system and a 3" pot would not be big enough. Something to think about.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 12:26 »
Senshyu onions are usually ready for harvesting at end of June/early July  ;)

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 20:04 »
Glad your over wintered onions are doing well, mine are a disaster.  I'm putting some of my onion sets in a large plastic trug or two this year, planted fairly close together.  So, if you've space for a container somewhere, might be worth a think.  Having an experimental onion year  :)

Auntiemogs

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 20:26 »
Thanks for the replies guys.  :)

I'm relieved to know my shallots aren't behind. I don't think I'll bother with overwintering sets again though.

I went up to Mums today (she is letting me use her greenhouse) and we stuck the Stuttgarter in 3" pots in the greenhouse. Hopefully this will buy me some time while I figure out what to do with them. Was a bit surprised to find so many in the bag (I had been expecting about 50 and there were 79!  :ohmy:). Can't wait to find out how many Red Baron I have!  ::)

I should be able to put some in with my brassicas and might also try a few in containers but it looks like I may have a construction project on my hands....lesson learned!  :D

Thanks again,
Mags :)   

Auntiemogs

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 22:06 »
Still nothing from my banana shallots.  :( A couple went mushy so I hoiked them out and the rest are still firm and have pelnty of 2cm roots but not a hint of green.  Tis very puzzling.  :wacko:

xx
Banana shallots

Started by Celery on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 15, 2009, 16:10
by yummy
xx
Banana Shallots

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 26, 2012, 08:42
by DD.
xx
Banana Shallots?

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 06, 2007, 22:33
by FatGaz
xx
Banana shallots

Started by over-grown on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 29, 2008, 17:44
by over-grown

Page created in 0.508 seconds with 28 queries.