Chitting????

• 30 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Chitting????
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2012, 11:04 »
Because seed spuds are rarely spherical, and chits are young roots and shoots I lay them on their sides on a layer of compost and gently cover up - some chits will be up, some sideways, and some down, but they soon sort themselves out!  :)

If I were using a dibber rather than a trench I'd drop them in chits up, as DD says, and for the same reason.

Sorry I disagree with you there JayG. A chit is just the shoot not roots. Once the tuber is planted in moisture the roots develop downwards from the chits as they grow upwards.

Each eye of a potato contains all the cells needed to become new shoots, roots, and stolons (the modified stems which eventually swell to become the new tubers,) and these start to differentiate as the eyes are chitted.

When planted the shoots grow upwards, the roots downwards, and the stolons sideways (more or less!)

This Wiki entry describes what happens (a bit lengthy – it’s in the section headed “potatoes”.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
chitting??

Started by greenstan77 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 25, 2009, 20:22
by mumofstig
xx
Chitting

Started by alexroyall85 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 19, 2019, 07:44
by DD.
xx
Chitting

Started by marlin vs on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 18, 2013, 12:00
by mumofstig
xx
Chitting

Started by Kajazy on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post May 20, 2012, 17:26
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.45 seconds with 29 queries.