what to plant ready for spring

• 10 Replies

jimroden

• Experienced Member
« on: October 16, 2007, 15:26 »
Hi Guy's and Girls
I have just finnished this years crop and am now digging over but it seems such a long wait until feb/march befor we start again. Is there anything I can put in so it grows over winter I have left the leeks in as they are still very thin.

Any ideas welcome

Jim
Dont tell lies you get in trouble

Scribbler

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 16:12 »
Planted garlic yesterday!
Growing salad leaves isn't rocket science.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 16:13 »
I'm planting:

Over-wintering onions, shallots, broad beans and peas  :D

splodger

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 17:06 »
i've got onion seed in to overwinter

winter lettuces and rocket (under cloches)

garlic is going in when my hand gets better

i've got cauli and cabbage seedlings to transplant to a cold frame to overwinter

didn't you do any greens or anything (my plot is still very busy) what with cabbages, broccoli, sprouts and leeks - my spuds in tyres are flowering now and there is carrots, turnips. parsnips, beetroot, j.arts and celery still in the ground aswellas the cucumbers and squashes in the hot bed.

jimroden

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 17:49 »
Quote from: "splodger"

didn't you do any greens or anything (my plot is still very busy) what with cabbages, broccoli, sprouts and leeks - my spuds in tyres are flowering now and there is carrots, turnips. parsnips, beetroot, j.arts and celery still in the ground aswellas the cucumbers and squashes in the hot bed.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: look i did not join this site to have show off's  laugh at me  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: I have planted all of the above and have done rubbish with them the brocoli bolted the savoy cabbage never had a head on it the spouts got eat to death by the god dam pigeons  red cabbage got slugged as with most of the othere stuff never tryed celery  cucumbers got eat by worms no one on our alotment has ever ever heard of worms eating cucumbers but the person's in my garden did.
We messed up with the carrots we pulled them to early parsnips disappeared never to be seen again  

it is our first frowing season so a lot of it was hit or miss
we have found out since that brasica's need really hard ground and lots of lime I planted them in lovely sived soil as the plot was very over grown so I went through it with a spade and sived all the mares tail and bind weed.

But with the help of this site next year will be better i have no dout  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

noshed

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 18:27 »
Good for you mate, you should see the shocking state of my carrots - and I've yet to get a pea crop worth anything
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

gobs

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 18:35 »
That's the spirit, Jim, you will do better next year! But this year wasn't glorious for most of us. :(

You could maybe try some hardy leaves as well, under protection, like: endive, radicchio, mizuna.

And don't leave the cabbage without netting, next time. :wink:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

gobs

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 18:37 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
I'm planting:

Over-wintering onions, shallots, broad beans and peas  :D

What is the secret of autumn peas, Aunt Sally, please, mine were always rubbish, I just gave up on them. :roll:

muntjac

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 18:48 »
ur alright jim evensome of  my stuff was below par ..... this year  :roll:  roll on next year  :lol:
still alive /............

mkhenry

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 20:01 »
Quote from: "jimroden"

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: look i did not join this site to have show off's  laugh at me  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: I have planted all of the above and have done rubbish with them the brocoli bolted the savoy cabbage never had a head on it the spouts got eat to death by the god dam pigeons  red cabbage got slugged as with most of the othere stuff never tryed celery  cucumbers got eat by worms no one on our alotment has ever ever heard of worms eating cucumbers but the person's in my garden did.
We messed up with the carrots we pulled them to early parsnips disappeared never to be seen again  

we have found out since that brasica's need really hard ground and lots of lime I planted them in lovely sived soil as the plot was very over grown so I went through it with a spade and sived all the mares tail and bind weed.

But with the help of this site next year will be better i have no dout  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

So all in all a normal year. :shock:

Roll on next year I say. :lol:  :lol:  :wink:
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

gobs

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2007, 22:28 »
Quote from: "mkhenry"
Quote from: "jimroden"

So all in all a normal year. :shock:

Roll on next year I say. :lol:  :lol:  :wink:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

xx
Broccoli Ready To Plant Out?

Started by erainn on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 17, 2011, 11:33
by erainn
xx
Potatoes chitted but not ready to plant

Started by Njal on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 01, 2011, 16:09
by Sweet Pea 2
xx
Can i still plant out Spring Onions

Started by samnorfolk on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 31, 2013, 09:26
by strider84
xx
strawberries - plant now or in spring?

Started by Juli on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 08, 2012, 14:03
by Juli

Page created in 0.408 seconds with 36 queries.