• 45 Replies

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: What is eating my veg in my store
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2012, 17:49 »
Hope you get it resolved, Mrs B  :unsure:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2012, 20:07 »
in my health and safety course we were taught rats and mice are incontinent both with their dropping and urine and those can be found where ever they run also they leave behind greasy marks

Well, I think they need to change the food hygiene courses then, because that's actually not quite accurate  ::) - they will leave behind grease marks if they repeatedly squeeze past/into something over a long period of time, but in general PurplePixie is right, they won't leave behind marks. They are not incontinent, they can control their bladders, but they DO choose to leave urine trails (scent marking) as they use that to follow to find their way to the same places again or to show ownership over something (male pet rats especially like to scent mark their owners - nice!). They tend to do their droppings in a particular area, a bit like rabbits - that's why pet rats can be litter trained, so you may not see the droppings at all if their toilet area is somewhere else.

PurplePixie is right also in that a male rat (and to be fair some female ones) would easily carry away an apple. The reason they probably didn't go for squash is because its a lot of effort to chew through the skin - why do that when there is much easier available food?! (though if you were kind enough to cook it for them they'd tuck in!) And onion is probably too strong for most rats - like purplepixie, mine never liked it. They like sweet things a lot - hence wanting apples.

PurplePixie, its good to see there is another rat lover on here - until about two years ago I owned them for over 10 years. Fantastic pets and very affectionate! :)

However, having said that, Mrs Ball, I recently had a 'plague' of mice in the house and totally understand how you feel about having them around - I scrubbed everything! (If that is indeed what they are!)

wighty

« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2012, 20:16 »
As an 'aside' I think the pasta bait available at the moment smells very similar to a Terrys Chocolate Orange!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2012, 21:42 »
As an 'aside' I think the pasta bait available at the moment smells very similar to a Terrys Chocolate Orange!

I never got that close  :lol: :lol:

sarajane

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2012, 08:40 »
Have you tried baiting your traps with a small pieceof apple if they seem to prefer them to peanut butter (although I have to say, peanut butter seems to be the favourite choice of the rats we get in the compost, and the shed sometimes)

bazial

• Experienced Member
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2012, 09:27 »
Have you tried putting a sand tray down ,if you put a shallow tray with some sand in it  on the floor, you should  see the foot prints of your pest  in the sand ,from that you might identify what is eating your crops .
bazial

PurplePixie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2012, 14:38 »
PurplePixie, its good to see there is another rat lover on here - until about two years ago I owned them for over 10 years. Fantastic pets and very affectionate! :)

I've got 10 at the moment and they are fascinating, I've sat and watched wild rats on a canal bank and they really do 'play' and behave in a very similar way. When Mum had them in the house the nest she had under floorboards was exactly the same as the ones mine would build out of their fleece fabric and bedding materials.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 14:39 by PurplePixie »

Mrs Bee

« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2012, 21:50 »
If it is rats I am plagued with, Purple pixie,I think their nest must be made from my best John Lewis towels, my fluffy tea towels, my kitchen apron and the bottom of my linen bag. All of which were mightily chewed. It is even more aggravating 'cos one of the towels could be cut down to make a small one, which means more mending for me to do.

Very strange that I always enjoy starting a stitching project but hate mending! Strange that.

Bait is down and trap is baited with apple! Will be up bright and early to check the results.

Whatever it is I won't be beaten!!!!

Mrs Bee

« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2012, 22:06 »
bazial
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you tried putting a sand tray down ,if you put a shallow tray with some sand in it  on the floor, you should  see the foot prints of your pest  in the sand ,from that you might identify what is eating your crops .
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have just suggested this to the hubby. He said that he thinks it is a ninja rat/mouse/squirrel and it would probably leap over any and all obstacles to get to the apple and leave not a print behind. But I will have a go. No sand, but wonder if damp compost might work.

Hope the blessed things don't get to my sprouting broad beans.
Mrs B

snowdrops

« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2012, 22:30 »
bazial
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have just suggested this to the hubby. He said that he thinks it is a ninja rat/mouse/squirrel and it would probably leap over any and all obstacles to get to the apple and leave not a print behind. But I will have a go. No sand, but wonder if damp compost might work.

Hope the blessed things don't get to my sprouting broad beans.
Mrs B

You could try flour
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Mrs Bee

« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2012, 09:23 »
Flour is a good idea, Snowdrop. Will try that later. Nothing and no signs of any takers on the traps and bait this morning. Probably too cold and snowy.
Had other things to think about this morning! Weight of the snow brought down the netting over the chicken run so had to clear that, check the electric fence and chase off the damn fox who thought his luck might be in.

Never seen my son up so early on a Sunday morning hurtling down the garden after the fox.
Always something to keep us occupied.

Love the name Snowdrop. I am a galanthophile and collect nusual snowdrops. Have a collection of over 30 and growing.

snowdrops

« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2012, 16:09 »
Flour is a good idea, Snowdrop. Will try that later. Nothing and no signs of any takers on the traps and bait this morning. Probably too cold and snowy.
Had other things to think about this morning! Weight of the snow brought down the netting over the chicken run so had to clear that, check the electric fence and chase off the damn fox who thought his luck might be in.

Never seen my son up so early on a Sunday morning hurtling down the garden after the fox.
Always something to keep us occupied.

Love the name Snowdrop. I am a galanthophile and collect nusual snowdrops. Have a collection of over 30 and growing.

Ooh your worth getting to know.Last year at some open gardens in the village I balked at paying£14 for 1 bulb,what's the most you have had to pay?

edited to fix quote
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 17:46 by Yorkie »

Mrs Bee

« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2012, 18:48 »
I seem to remember paying £40 each for a Diggory and an Anne of Geirstein. Both very large snowdrops with rounded pure white petals. They are beautiful. I also have several types of yellow snowdrops. It felt a bit wicked paying that much but I don't spend much money on myself and I thought that in time these will bulk up and I could sell  them and get back my initial outlay.

If you are near Cambridge during snowdrop time, Anglesea Abbey have a very large snowdrop collection and you can go on a guided snowdrop tour midweek. They also have unusual snowdrops to buy. Got several from them one year.
 The winter garden is stunning. It has been on Gardener's world.

Also met a wonderful galanthophile on a winter trip to Hemmingford Grey Manor in Cambridgeshire in February  (my birthday treat). Google it for info. It is worth a trip to look round one of the most interesting houses and guided tours I have been on.

The gardener there is a snowdrop fancier and grower and he gave me the most wonderful gift ever, which was a white Trym snowdrop and a yellow Trym. Had never seen one of those advertised!! Best birthday present ever. My mother and sister had given up waiting for me and went to wait for me at the pub. Apparently I skipped in with the snowdrops in my hands and a grin from ear to ear. The Pub there, called the Cock is an amazing eating place too. Worth  a visit!

He also put me onto Avon bulbs who sell loads of unusual snowdrop bulbs. They don't advertise widely but if you email their site and ask them to send you a list of their special snowdrops they will send an illustrated leaflet. You have to move very quickly to order these snowdrops as soon as the catalogue hits the mat as the rarer ones sell out faster than freshly baked bread.

Usually get a few new ones each Feb with birthday money. Not doing it this year as we are working on landscaping the rest of our garden. WHen it is done and I have made more space for the collection I will carry on buying next year.

I also have to dig up and divide some of my first snowdrops and start them off in new places. Some of the first ones I bought have bulked up really prolifically and need more room to grow, especially the Blewbury tarts.

snowdrops

« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2012, 19:00 »
That puts my £14 refusal to shame,maybe this year! I'll certainly look those others up. Up until a couple of years ago I never knew there were so many varieties.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2012, 19:34 »
If you are going to invest in any expensive snowdrops, it is worth your while planting them in bulb baskets in the ground so you don't forget they are there and cut through them. Can be a costly mistake. When I plant mine I do this, label it, mark its position on a written plan and then top each basket of snowdrop bulbs with a good handful of white gravel, which seems to deter the local squirrels and reminds me where they are.

I just love snowdrops. They are a gardeners message of hope for the spring. In all the cold and freezing ground these little flowers push through the frozen earth with amazing force for such a small delicate flower. It is worth a walk down the garden in the cold of winter to see their flowers.

I did read that there was a pink snowdrop discovered a few years ago. That will be fetching a very good price and I think it was last year that an Arthur Bowles snowdrop form MYddleton House and gardens in Enfield was auctioned for £100. Very rare snowdrops that are sold from North Green Only, have to be bid for!  Don't know that I would go that far.

If anyone out there has a 'Wasp' to swap for a Blewbury Tart tho' I would be interested!

xx
B&M store

Started by billathome65 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 18, 2011, 17:01
by Yorkie
xx
Will first earlies store.

Started by Spana on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 08, 2010, 21:27
by Spana
question
How do you store potatoes

Started by newby on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 07, 2009, 15:13
by lisa80
xx
Where do you store your seeds ?

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post January 23, 2009, 20:20
by rainbow1

Page created in 1.12 seconds with 36 queries.