What is eating my veg in my store

• 45 Replies

Mrs Bee

Re: What is eating my veg in my store
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2012, 21:49 »
 Hi Yorkie.
we have the spuds in a metal dust bin at the moment in canvas sacks. We have drilled air holes in the sides and base and stood the bin off the floor on wooden pallets so there is air underneath. I have checked them  a few times since we put them in there and they seem OK for the time being. Not sure how long they will keep like this. Hubby is thinking about making some sort of storage for next year using chicken wire. Can't do it at the moment as he is working on raised beds for the allotment and a fruit cage  so we can plant fruit bushes this year.

We have only had our allotment for 2 years and it was a jungle of brambles when we got it. Looking on the bright side we had oodles of blackberry cake, crumble, brandy, jam and pies throughtout the following year. And this year we haven't had to buy many vegetables since June so we are getting better.

The chicken manure from the girls is great for making a hot bed as is the free manure from the local stables. Well almost free; I swap them one of my home made cakes for sacks full of manure.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 22:00 »
Sounds like you're doing really well.  Mmm cake  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Mrs Bee

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2012, 22:00 »
Thanks a lot for all the advice. This is a really brilliant site.

I can't keep a cat and my husband tho' as he is seriously allergic to cats!! and I am not going to make a smart remark about getting rid of the hubby. We need 2 of us to work our allotment.

I am going to go and disinfect my utlilty room in case it is rats. The thought of them making free in there gives me the raging hump.

Still don't understand if it is rats why they are not going for the onions and squash.  

I will be putting them in the 2 overflow fridges tomorrow. They have been a bit full recently with 20kg of seville oranges, a box of lemons and another of grapefruit while they are waiting to be turned into marmalade ready to sell at local events when the weather gets warmer.

Thanks to everyone for your help and advice.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2012, 22:05 »
I agree with you about the thought of rats running on things, as I reckon they leak as badly as mice  :tongue2: :tongue2:

We had the cleanest garage shelving around after our visitors left as I scrubbed everything in sight,  that I could reach anyway.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Mrs Bee

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2012, 22:20 »
You are so right about the thought of rats running over the surfaces! I have my 2 overflow fridges and 2 giant upright freezers out there too, and until i get the problem sorted I will have to give everything a really good clean or I won't be able to put the freezer drawers on the work surfaces. Will still set up a web cam to see what it is tho', just in case it is a squirrel. We have lots of them in the forest. Pity they don't stay in the forest instead of ransacking my garden.
Several of the neighbours have had them make homes in the loft. One neighbour even had a blasted fox move into his loft.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2012, 22:24 »
If it was a squirrel I think you would see other damage around, and they tend to rush about madly to try to get out, too.

Rats seem to like potatoes a lot --- plotholders on our site are always complaining they have chewed potatoes in sheds, but they don't touch the onions  :ohmy:

PurplePixie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2012, 00:17 »
but they don't touch the onions  :ohmy:

I've just done an experiment while feeding mine!

They are allowed to eat small amounts onion but I don't normally give them any because it can make them a bit smelly so they have just been fed cous cous, kale, cherry toms, apple, banana, chopped red and white onion and spring onion .... they have been eating everything except the onions and spring onion  :)

They've not even hidden it to eat later which they often do with things that they're not too keen on.

gobs

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2012, 01:05 »
but they don't touch the onions  :ohmy:

I've just done an experiment while feeding mine!

They are allowed to eat small amounts onion but I don't normally give them any because it can make them a bit smelly so they have just been fed cous cous, kale, cherry toms, apple, banana, chopped red and white onion and spring onion .... they have been eating everything except the onions and spring onion  :)

They've not even hidden it to eat later which they often do with things that they're not too keen on.

Just to be finicky, how is white onions and spring onions different from onions and spring onions, just asking you know. :)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 07:31 by sunshineband »
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Salmo

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2012, 08:30 »
If you think you have rats call the local Council pest control. They will come and look and advise and treat if neccesary. Rats they will usually treat for free, mice they will charge for.

PurplePixie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2012, 10:37 »

Just to be finicky, how is white onions and spring onions different from onions and spring onions, just asking you know. :)

I just gave them normal white skinned, red and spring to try a few onion types to see if they ate them and they didnt touch any of them .... all three kinds are still in the bottom of the bowl this morning.

The red onions I have are quite sweet so I thought they'd go for them if any and they've not, I know it's not exactly scientific but I was interested to see if rats, if given a choice would eat onions. They should not be given uncooked potatoes so I wasnt trying that  :nowink:

They would have your arm off for a bit of macaroni so I'd agree with Sunny and get some pasta bait in  :)

gobs

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2012, 11:24 »
Ah, experimenting if they would eat any!

I have similar experience from the plot. I never noticed them touching any onions or potatoes. However, when food is scarce, odd individuals of several species might get into eating unusual food stuff.

PurplePixie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2012, 11:55 »
Ah, experimenting if they would eat any!

I have similar experience from the plot. I never noticed them touching any onions or potatoes. However, when food is scarce, odd individuals of several species might get into eating unusual food stuff.

Yup, just a quick test, they eat most things!

When food is scare rats will chew through all kinds in no time to get to grub, my Mum had some visitors that chewed holes in those really thick plastic cereal containers, good quality tupperware tubs, kitchen cupboards and kickboards  :ohmy:

I know some cage bases often need replacing because they get chewed through so I'd go for metal for any storage and in the kitchen store everything you can in the fridge, microwave and oven!

Rows of enamel bread bins are the way to go but not the lightweight roller type ones because they WILL open them, don't under estimate their intelligence :tongue2:

The pasta bait is really good and is designed to be taken back to the nest so that you won't find bodies all over. You could put it down and maybe after a few days leave apples out as a test to see if it's still there in the morning for peace of mind.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2012, 13:53 »
Thanks for taking the trouble to do a food test with your rat, Purple pixie. That was really kind of you.

Hubby is back from B&Q with the pasta bait and a trap. Will try your advice and leave the bait for a while and then leave another apple out as a test.

Have also dismantled one of the extra chicken feeders and will take the other one in at night until mystery visitors have been sorted.

We have an egglu cube and most of the time leave the door open so the girls can come and go as they please. WIll be a bit of a pest getting up and the crack of sparrows to get the food out but having rats is a bigger pest. Will have to close the doors on the girls for a while any way because of the threat of nasty weather.

brown thumb

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2012, 16:22 »
in my health and safety course we were taught rats and mice are incontinent both with their dropping and urine and those can be found where ever they run also they leave behind greasy marks

Mrs Bee

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2012, 16:51 »
Thanks for that Brownthumb. I was taught the same when I did my food hygiene course. That is why I am mystified that I can not find any evidence of rats or mice. However I am taking no chances. I will try the rat bait and a squirrel trap. I cannot see where whatever it is is getting in either.

Will be investigatng yet again this week end and following the advice given by other people on this site.

xx
B&M store

Started by billathome65 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 18, 2011, 17:01
by Yorkie
xx
Will my first earlies store if i dig them all up now?

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 06, 2008, 13:00
by LivvyW
xx
Some shallots store better than others

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 18, 2011, 14:48
by Aidy
xx
Will first earlies store.

Started by Spana on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 08, 2010, 21:27
by Spana

Page created in 0.513 seconds with 36 queries.