Sterilising pots

• 18 Replies

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
Sterilising pots
« on: February 01, 2012, 14:35 »
I'm just getting ready for the seed sowing bonanza coming up...just a quick question about sterilising pots. I have loads of the plastic ones left over from last year - I also have loads of baby bottle sterilising solution left over from my baby girl's bottle days - can I use this to sterilise the pots? I think it's chlorine based

Kleftiwallah

Re: Sterilising pots
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 14:50 »

Dunno !  . . . .   I think this won't be strong enough although people have used it for winemaking equipment.               Jeyes Fluid,  :ohmy:

waiting to be shot down in flames.  .  .  Cheers,     Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 15:03 »
What's wrong with Jeyes fluid as a disinfectant?

Cheers, Dave
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 15:31 »
If I remember rightly, Alan Titchmarsh used to chuck his in the dishwasher - got into trouble from his good lady but struck me as a great way to do loads with minimal effort!
Lucky Mother of 2 dogs, 2 cats (RiP Sherlock) and 4 chickens (welcome Brenda and Harriet)

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 16:46 »
I do odd ones in the dishwasher but for the bulk of them they get washed in water (preferably hot) bit of Fairy Liquid and some Jeyes fluid. I give mine a good scrub and check for slugs hiding under the rims and then leave to soak in the Jeyes fluid water. Done mine this week and still have some in soak  :)

Auntiemogs

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 18:51 »
If I remember rightly, Alan Titchmarsh used to chuck his in the dishwasher - got into trouble from his good lady but struck me as a great way to do loads with minimal effort!
Just a word of caution here in that last year I thought I would put a few of pots in the DW and must have left some very tiny pieces of grit in them. They got stuck in the impeller housing which then overheated and melted and the next thing I knew the laminate floor is lifting because it had sprung a leak.  :ohmy: So do give them a really good rinse if you are going to use the DW.  ::)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

engineer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 19:49 »
Jeyes Fluid all the time, :D just read and abide by the instructions :D and if you don't like the smell ---rubber gloves! I don't want to sound all H&S but goggles as well 8)

gobs

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 20:03 »
Jeyes Fluid all the time, :D just read and abide by the instructions :D and if you don't like the smell ---rubber gloves! I don't want to sound all H&S but goggles as well 8)

You are not sticking them up your nose, do you?
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

engineer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 12:45 »
Hi Gobs, no it wasn't very clear was it :( peg for the nose, gloves for the hands, certainly stops nose picking :lol:

compostqueen

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 12:49 »
The pots in my kitchen now smell of Jeyes as I used the same gloves  :D  Shame on me!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 13:19 »
just a thought - but do pots really need to be sterile  :unsure:
Isn't clean good enough? I usually wash mine up in the same way I do my dishes  :D

When you watch programmes like Victorian garden the pot boy washed pots in cold water in a sink in the potting shed, I think  ;)

compostqueen

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 22:52 »
No I don't think for our veg growing purposes they have to be sterile. I think Jeyes helps get them clean and kills slugs and bugs that might be attached, as well as getting rid of algae etc

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 22:58 »
That would happen just as easily with a good scrub in hot water I believe ;)

If you must use something I recommend Citrox, it smells much nicer than Jeyes  :lol:

jazzbyrd

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 23:00 »
The smell of Jeyes fluid makes me puke!!! It reminds me Of the stuff councils use to clean public underpasses and toilets. :tongue2: Hot soapy antibacterial  Washing up liquid does the job.

Jazz
Do androids dream of electric sheep?

compostqueen

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 23:01 »
I had some Jeyes to clean up my grotty greenhouse glass which had been buried in greenery for years. The thing was covered in moss and algae.  I didn't buy it just to clean pots but it is designed for cleaning.  

xx
plant pots

Started by new_2_veg on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post August 03, 2007, 19:58
by David.
xx
Watering pots

Started by londongardener on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post June 16, 2018, 15:41
by JayG
xx
Plant pots

Started by Griffete on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post January 21, 2012, 13:05
by sunshineband
xx
Peat pots

Started by noshed on Equipment Shed

15 Replies
Last post June 01, 2007, 20:14
by brucesgirl

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 37 queries.