Should i let my chickens in our garden? They havnt had wings clipped

• 10 Replies

chicken george25

I have 4 bantam hens and am considering letting them out of there enclosure they havnt had there wings clipped tho. Should i let them out they have been in there enclosure 6 months so will they come back? ADVICE would be great and helpful

Tony H

• Experienced Member
The reason for clipping wings is to stop them jump/fly over your boundery fence, if your fence is high enough then you shouldnt need to clip wings if you have a low fence then for there safty yes i would  :D you only need to clip one wing as this will put them of balance when flapping, yes your chucks will come back good luck  :D
Chicken crazy

4chooks

• My Black Rock
    • Raw Green Cottages
Mine haven't got wings clipped and i let mine out in garden all the time.

If there happy and content they wont fly off, But maybe worth while just clipping wing at one side so incase they fly put them off balance and prevent it!!!
X2 Black Rock's
                         = 4 FRESH EGGS EVERYDAY!!!
X2 Warren's

Sassy

To clip or not is a gamble whichever you choose to do. Once clipped should a fox get into their area it is harder for them to get away. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

GYO Girl

• Experienced Member
Yes, let them out, they won't wander far (unless there's a gap in your boundary fence, in which case they'll find it and be in your neighbour's garden like a shot!)  But mine always come back for a handful of corn. 

I've trained mine to come back by saying "whassis?" (what's this?) every time I give them a handful of corn, so whenever they hear whassis, they come running out from their hiding places!
No matter how many plants I have in my garden, I can always find room for one more.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
I don't clip mine  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

VickyW

• Experienced Member
I don't clip mine and let them into the garden. I always stay with them and they've never tried to fly off, but they do fly from one end of the garden to the other showing off  :tongue2:

nic_28

• Experienced Member
  • this house is fit to burstin'
    • www.facebook.com/njcooneyphotography
Ive not clipped my hens wings, and they are out roaming the fields and scratching under the hedgerows for beasties all day long, they wander off sometimes but Im at home all the time and shout "CHIKINZZZ!" they all come runnin back! I have no traffic near and no other houses so no fear of them being splatted by cars..maybe think about that if they were to escape. x P.S hens can jump...high.
mother of 2 human children, 1 Merlin cat, 2 Lionhead Lops, a R.I.R , Buff Orpy, Light Sussex, Bluebell and  Speckeldy.

lmpd

• Experienced Member
  • peas & love
For me it's LAYDEEZ (ladies) and they appear from the undergrowth.........and give me a clue where they've been leaving their eggs!!! ::) Bless 'um!!! :)

banty

I have three bantams (Orpingtons) which are let out in the garden regularly. They fly up and down a bit, especially when the are first let out but have never tried to escape. We did have a day time fox attack recently when all three were out in the middle of the day whilst we were watching them from the kitchen window. Two of them got away, Fox got one only to drop it when My Wife came hurtling out of kitchen. The hen the fox 'got' is being nursed now and still with us - however I am convinced the fact they could get airborn helped the other two escape.

YoungChickenLover

Some banties can be good flyers, so depending on what you have, I'd recommend clipping wings. As long as your gardn is secure, look forward to watching your chooks having fun!!
Weasel and The Chooks

xx
Should I get wings clipped?

Started by Njal on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post October 13, 2008, 15:04
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Clipped Wings ?

Started by steaders on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post July 30, 2009, 10:55
by steaders
xx
took aunt sally's advice- clipped wings!

Started by Chookaholic on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post August 25, 2008, 21:52
by Chookaholic
xx
HELP - Has my child dislocated the chickens wings.

Started by country girl on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 26, 2008, 21:56
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.698 seconds with 31 queries.