Aaagh! My Cockerel attacked me.

• 16 Replies

Bev

• Experienced Member
Aaagh! My Cockerel attacked me.
« on: January 23, 2012, 16:04 »
Hi,

Maybe it was a silly decision to keep a Welsummer cockerel. I just took them some scraps and he jumped up and scratched my leg with both of his legs. I shouted no and pushed him off with my scraps pot then he kept coming at me. I shouted no and pushed him sideways with my welly every time but he kept it up for a little while.

He is 30 weeks old. And has 2 lovely girls. Is this behaviour likely to continue, or worsen or will he realise that I am boss. I won't be able to let him free range if he is viscious as we back onto a playing field. As it is he chased my children once so is not allowed out when they are out now.

Think I might have to get my friend round and have cockerel for tea again!  :(

What do you think?

Bev

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Aaagh! My Cockerel attacked me.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 16:28 »
He will see you as competition for his ladies, you taking in treats for them (that is his job in his eyes).  Joyfull will probably give you some good advice on how to deal with him.  Hopefully he will improve and not end up in the pot.

Good luck Bev. 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Bev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 16:31 »
Thank you. I saw a similar message from someone else in November but it seemed as though it is not likely to work out.

Bev

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 18:28 »
You might want to try placing the treats at his feet so he can call his ladies over for it  :)

He is overly protective of his girls and sadly now that he is thinking about mating he will get worse. Really there is only one thing to do  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

Bev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 20:05 »
Thank you. That is what I thought really but it is just nice to have it confirmed that i am doing the right thing. I don't feel so bad about it when there is a good reason.

Have already texted my friend to help me do it and my Mum is going to show me how to butcher him properly. I made a bit of a mess of the other cockerel, the butchery part not the killing part, my friend was very quick and the cockerel did not even so much as squawk!

When I told my Mum and Dad, who are both vets, they did not hesitate to say get rid of him! (They can't bring themselves to kill him though so I need a whole team!) I can't keep him when I have small children. So I am pretty much decided now.

I will be careful about administering the food for his last few days to make them calm ones!

Thanks Again,

Bev

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 08:38 »
Joyfuls right once this behaviour starts it very very rarely gets better. I would not risk it at all with children around. Sorry :(
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Axe

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 11:04 »
sunday roast for that bad lad...i currently have 4 cockerals, 1 i call Sid Vicious..it seems you have his brother lol...Sid will be joining yours in the next few days too.

Bev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 20:57 »
Tee hee! You will probably all think me a complete wimp but I had to go to the shed to put the pushchair away and Phoebo came over looking for a fight! I had put on my waterproof trousers , coat, gloves and hat as body armour and carried a broom just in case!

However I think I handled him well earlier, I put the food out a way away from the run and then let them out and cleaned out the hen house while he was busy. I am sure I heard him say, ' look girls, I have found you some lovely kitchen scraps, aren't I a great guy!'

We all live to see another day but his days are definately numbered, I am already meal planning for next week!

Thanks for your advice, Bev

Sassy

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 13:49 »
It's easy for others to think you are a wimp if they have never been attacked by a cockerel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Axe

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 15:18 »
It's easy for others to think you are a wimp if they have never been attacked by a cockerel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

i have...the fight lasted till i grabbed a shovel lol...and they ARE relentless!

Bev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 20:49 »
Just a little update! I made rose chicken in the slow cooker. It was quite nice but not my best ever meal!

It was much easier to do the job second time around but I definately won't have another cockerel unless food becomes short!

My Mum taught me how to prepare a bird and it was really interesting, how they can produce a supermarket chicken for £2.50 I have absolutley no idea and no intentions of eating one! It took me 2 hours to pluck him and my Mum and I a good 1 1/2 hours to prepare.

Well there won't be any more cockerel attacks at my house!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 23:05 »
Well done Bev.  Not something everyone could do.   ;)

kegs

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 09:54 »
Well done Bev.  I've got two that I'm meant to be seeing to at the moment but the weather is horrible! 

When you have butchered your bird we find letting it sit in the fridge for a day before cooking will help the meat, and prevents it becoming tough.   Totally different to shop bought isn't it?

Bev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 10:32 »
Yes I was surprised how different it is! I had no idea just how bland and flabby our mass produced chickens had got. I actually find them quite boring now I have been enlightened!

kegs

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 11:07 »
And in the commercial chickens they seem to leave the preen gland intact!  :blink:

xx
attacked hen

Started by scott bell on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 03, 2008, 22:52
by scott bell
xx
Help please - our old hen has been attacked

Started by heatherhsp on The Hen House

35 Replies
Last post November 18, 2010, 12:09
by compostqueen
xx
My hen's been attacked too

Started by VeggieVirgin on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 07, 2010, 00:25
by VeggieVirgin
xx
Attacked by a rat????

Started by RosieMay on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 20:19
by RosieMay

Page created in 0.672 seconds with 39 queries.