Enviromesh v Veggiemesh

• 36 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Re: Enviromesh v Veggiemesh
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2012, 13:44 »
DD - would 20mm pipe do the job, or too narrow? I ask because Screwfix have both diameters and the 20mm is obviously a bit cheaper. I need to make myself some cloches for fleece and netting this year, and this would do the job for both.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2012, 13:52 »
The stuff I've got is 25mm, (think I may have linked to narrower pipe), but for smaller projects the smaller size should be fine.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2012, 14:09 »
Mine is 20mm and as DD says, it is fine for making hoops.
Cheese makes everything better.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2012, 14:10 »
Perfect, thank you :)

toxorebel

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2012, 21:24 »
DD - that looks great.  What is the width of the enviromesh you've used and what have you done to keep the edges down?

Ian_A

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2012, 21:37 »
for brassicas and carrots I use the scaffolding netting - slightly stretchy material and works a treat: I spoke to a local building firm nicely the year before last and they gave me "tons" of it. Not a thing gets through.

Have used enviromesh in the past too - great stuff but expensive

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2012, 21:39 »
for brassicas and carrots I use the scaffolding netting - slightly stretchy material and works a treat: I spoke to a local building firm nicely the year before last and they gave me "tons" of it. Not a thing gets through.

Is it fine enough for carrot fly then? Decided this year i must buy something as i never end up with a crop i can eat despite them being good sized. Grrrrrr @ Carrot Fly :tongue2:

Ian_A

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2012, 21:46 »

Is it fine enough for carrot fly then? Decided this year i must buy something as i never end up with a crop i can eat despite them being good sized. Grrrrrr @ Carrot Fly :tongue2:

definitely fine enough - the last few years I did a trial with enviromesh and also a row of carrots with this scaffolding netting and no difference whatsoever in terms of carrot fly getting in ie) both methods of covering worked.

A neighbouring plot moaned about the scaffolding netting as he got carrot fly - upon inspection he had not pinned the netting down at the edges, so flapping about is a real enticer for the dreaded carrot fly..

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2012, 21:50 »

definitely fine enough - the last few years I did a trial with enviromesh and also a row of carrots with this scaffolding netting and no difference whatsoever in terms of carrot fly getting in ie) both methods of covering worked.

A neighbouring plot moaned about the scaffolding netting as he got carrot fly - upon inspection he had not pinned the netting down at the edges, so flapping about is a real enticer for the dreaded carrot fly..

Great stuff and thanks for the info. Just need to find the best price for it now (Dont know any kind builders who will give me some unfortunately!!!)

plot53b

• Experienced Member
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2012, 21:55 »
I had spotted this myself and although I have not ordered it yet, after my experience with Carrot Fly last year and the 'carrot fly resistant' seeds - plus my 'decoy row' - which made no difference (!), I will definately be investing in some netting this year!

I note the web site says;

"It has exactly the same hole sizes , is made from the same material and it also comes in exactly the same widths. The one main difference is the reduced prices"

Seems a good buy to me.
Acquired a third of a plot in January 2011 which was extended to three quarters in December 2011. Managed by myself and my 6 year old son.

sarajane

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2012, 22:09 »
I was going to lash out and treat us to envoironmesh this year but will now go with the veggiemesh.  Hve  never hard of this so many thanks for the tip Auntie  -  anything that saves cash is a bonus.

I have to say window netting does do the job but only last 2/3 years but if you have any for free or can get it from a charity shop then give it a go.  I'll be throwing some old ones from my bathroom over my blackcurrants this year.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2012, 22:19 »
anything that saves cash is a bonus.
More money for seeds!  :D
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Bodmass

• Follow Bod on Twitter
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2012, 23:29 »
Bought some of this last week myself, enter code GLA for 10% off  8)
Toiling through 100sq metres of clay - And I don't actually eat much veg!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2012, 10:39 »
that code made no difference to my total - is it just a code for allotment societies? In which case not much use to me or probably some others on here.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Bodmass

• Follow Bod on Twitter
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2012, 11:05 »
Me neither now.  Oh well!

xx
Enviromesh / Veggiemesh

Started by greenhead on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 29, 2012, 19:29
by bazial
xx
how do you use your enviromesh?

Started by justviolet on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 10, 2011, 13:15
by justviolet
xx
Wonder of enviromesh

Started by beansticks on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post July 01, 2007, 18:54
by beansticks
xx
enviromesh

Started by Azazello on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 04, 2014, 17:35
by Ma Lowe

Page created in 0.424 seconds with 29 queries.