Swapping lawn for veg beds any advice

• 5 Replies

mrs mud

Swapping lawn for veg beds any advice
« on: January 18, 2012, 19:53 »
Hello

We are planning to have veg beds in place of where we currently have a lawn.   I thought maybe four/five seperate beds with paths in-between and the beds will be raised a little to give some depth as we are very rocky underneath. 

I had just assumed we would cut off the turf and dig over the area, however a neighbour suggested we weed-kill the lawn first.  I confess I had not given it too much thought but I am not sure I like the idea of weed killer when I plan to grow and eat the fruit and veg.  We don't want to keep any lawn but there are plants around the edge which I want to keep for the time being.  I've attached a pic.

Just wondered what thoughts or advice on this

front lawn.jpg
"Potters always play dirty!"

snowdrops

Re: Swapping lawn for veg beds any advice
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 20:11 »
As it is lawn there will be no need to use weedkiller. Mark out the area to dig up & then begin to cut it with your spade & dig it up in to manageable pieces. Depending how deep your top soil is you can dig down & then bury the grass you have removed as long as you place it grass side down. Nothing to get rid of & depending how high you beds are going to be raised no soil to bring in. You could also add manure & or compost under the soil which will improve your soil. Just don't use manure where you are going to grow carrots & parsnips otherwise you will end up with forked roots.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Spana

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 20:17 »
Have a look at Ma Lowes Diary in the diary section, shes on page 3 :) She dug up her  lawn and made veg beds and i dont think she used weed killer first.  It turned out really well, have a look :)

Chrysalis

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 20:19 »
Just a thought: If you're planning a number of beds, make sure the paths are two mowing widths so it's easy to maintain. ;)

Can't beat veg beds over lawn... :tongue2: we reduce ours every year! :D

welcome, by the way.

mrs mud

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 20:33 »
Great advice, thanks everyone  :)

Yep the diary pics are amazing, I am keener than ever now  :)

Totty

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 20:32 »
I did a similar thing last year. Cut the turf off with a spade nice and neatly and stack it somewhere for a year. You will then have lovely loam to add to your beds next year. I used 8 inch deep timbers and have 4 at 8ftx8ft and one of 22ftx6ft. I laid weed supressing membrane between the beds and made the paths from bark/hedgetrimmings and they look lovelly. No need to walk on the beds, just add as much compost, manure, leaf mould as possible and all will be well! Welcome :)

xx
Getting soil ready for raised beds where lawn used to be.

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 02, 2009, 15:24
by hubballi
xx
seed swapping?

Started by gardener247 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 26, 2010, 17:27
by mumofstig
xx
Lasagne beds - looking for advice

Started by robinahood on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 12, 2015, 16:37
by robinahood
xx
Beds or Rows Any Advice ?

Started by donald.cape on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 23, 2007, 16:00
by donald.cape

Page created in 0.864 seconds with 36 queries.