leek market

• 11 Replies

littlefeat

leek market
« on: October 13, 2007, 13:20 »
:(
 :(  :(  :(  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

i have disgraced myself bigtime.

ive been looking forward to going to Leek poultry market for weeks, just itching to see all the breeds and bits and pieces that are for sale etc,
went with hubby and our two boys, aged 11 and 5,
what an eye opener, i was appaled, how can people treat animals like this, i only managed 10 minutes and left in floods of tears, ime not tarring everyone with the same brush, some were in decent boxes with plenty of litter and water etc, but some were atrocious, in boxes that they could not turn around in, it broke my heart.,
the guy i bought my girls off a few weeks back recognised me and phoned me to see if i was ok, what a lovely man.

a tearfull still littlefeat
at home with 4 cats, 1 dog, 2 rabbits, 2 rats 4 fish, 4 chickens, 2 kids and 1 hubby, i love gardening, and looking after my tribe.

muntjac

leek market
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 13:34 »
call the rspca and complain they should have been there anyways checking up on it .  :x
still alive /............

littlefeat

leek market
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 13:44 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
call the rspca and complain they should have been there anyways checking up on it .  :x

thanks muntjac
yes ime kicking myself now for not doing it straight away, i was informed they were not there today, but will get in touch with them and make sure they are in attendance next time its on.

littlefeat

Bodger

leek market
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 13:45 »
Leek market was one of my old hunting grounds.
The law with regard to the carriage of poultry is quite clear but having said that, it doesn't do to be too sensitive .

muntjac

leek market
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 13:48 »
if they arent blooming seen there thats when the shitheads bring out the dodo cages and birds .you see the vans with other cages in and a couple good ones they sell the birds from the good cages n then restock from the van .only get birds from those sellers with complete wire cages with bedding water and a feed bowl in the thing .tea chests and a bit blooming wire over the top tell ya they dont give a toss about the birds they are selling ,this time year the bad ones start dumping old laying birds that have just finished moulting so look nice n clean you can make a 2  year bird look as good as a 1 yr bird with abit wet sponge n fairy liquid to make its feathers shine :x ,.smell em before buying and make sure you can handle the bird .most of them have razors for keel bones

littlefeat

leek market
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 14:10 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
if they arent blooming seen there thats when the shitheads bring out the dodo cages and birds .you see the vans with other cages in and a couple good ones they sell the birds from the good cages n then restock from the van .only get birds from those sellers with complete wire cages with bedding water and a feed bowl in the thing .tea chests and a bit blooming wire over the top tell ya they dont give a toss about the birds they are selling ,this time year the bad ones start dumping old laying birds that have just finished moulting so look nice n clean you can make a 2  year bird look as good as a 1 yr bird with abit wet sponge n fairy liquid to make its feathers shine :x ,.smell em before buying and make sure you can handle the bird .most of them have razors for keel bones

they were not even in tea chests they were in small carboard boxes with netting etc over the top or just the flaps of the box pushed together, there were numerous rabbits, and guinea pigs in cut down wine boxes the size that holds six bottles, they could not even turn round and ferrets in small buckets with wire bent over. is was just sick

:evil: littlefeat

muntjac

leek market
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 14:13 »
you want to be on the phone now complining to the rspca and telling them that you are going to be writing to the site owner and the papers pointing out this disgusting practice and also that the national body that should have been making sure this wasnt going on was not present ie the rspca :wink:

chicksforkicks

• Experienced Member
leek market
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007, 15:57 »
sorry for the interuption, but whats the rspca?
-If life gives you lemons find someone who got vodka and have a party
-If it doesn't fit;force it. If it breaks; you needed a new one anyway
-Borrow money from pessimist; they don't expect it back

agapanthus

leek market
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2007, 16:43 »
It's the Royal Society for Protection of Animals. It's an animal charity that we've had for a very long time. It is well respected and sometimes has a lot of clout. Google RSPCA you will get a lot of information about the work they do.

Sorry butting into your thread guys but it put me in mind of an agricultural show I went to at Egton (Yorks) this year.
They have an annual poultry exhibition/competition. I went in to have a look and was appalled seeing that about 60% of the birds did'nt have any food or water. These marquees can be really hot inside...even in cool weather! I had a word with one person asking if I could see the organiser but he was'nt there. I did'nt have time to wait 'cos my lift was waiting for me. How can people treat birds and animals this way??? It's way over my head.

Good for you littlefeat!! I hope they get what they deserve....but they probaly won't :twisted:

littlefeat

leek market
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2007, 19:39 »
Quote from: "agapanthus"
It's the Royal Society for Protection of Animals. It's an animal charity that we've had for a very long time. It is well respected and sometimes has a lot of clout. Google RSPCA you will get a lot of information about the work they do.

Sorry butting into your thread guys but it put me in mind of an agricultural show I went to at Egton (Yorks) this year.
They have an annual poultry exhibition/competition. I went in to have a look and was appalled seeing that about 60% of the birds did'nt have any food or water. These marquees can be really hot inside...even in cool weather! I had a word with one person asking if I could see the organiser but he was'nt there. I did'nt have time to wait 'cos my lift was waiting for me. How can people treat birds and animals this way??? It's way over my head.

Good for you littlefeat!! I hope they get what they deserve....but they probaly won't :twisted:

thanks guys
good to know it not just me who feels his way, my husband is going to kick up a stink with the rspca, he holds more clout than me lol, we wish we had gone back now and taken some photos etc. to back up the complaint,

littlefeat x

wendygro

Leek Market
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2007, 20:02 »
:Visited Leek Market this morning hoping to buy some chickens, couldn't understand a word the autioneer was saying just dozens of people crowding around. We thought the lots were as the number said instead it turned out you bid on the number but the contents were sold seperately very confusing and yes as you said the animals were stuffed into small boxes very cramped perhaps thats why the auction was so quick.wont be going there again.

Bodger

leek market
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2007, 22:05 »
I use to go to school with some of them :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

xx
When is Selby Market on next?

Started by kizza on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post October 22, 2007, 09:58
by Tensing
xx
Market/auctions..

Started by Porffor on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post July 01, 2008, 11:27
by Piglit's Pullets
xx
selby market

Started by tryingtobegreen on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 22:37
by Yorkie
xx
Market today Awful

Started by slowef on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post October 20, 2007, 22:54
by slowef

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 27 queries.