Market/auctions..

• 22 Replies

Porffor

Market/auctions..
« on: June 24, 2008, 14:16 »
Well, we are thinking about going to our first ever animal auction/sale on Saturday ;)

a HUGE step for me! lol

I just know i'm going to want lots of lovely looking chooks, but we are mostly going to look. :)

Hubby has put a stop on me getting ex-batts for now, he's worried if they die we'll be causing trauma to the girls and that they may be a bit too much health wise of us to handle just now... I've tried but he's not budging. He doesn't often put his foot down - so i'm having to allow this - this once  :roll:.

Any tips appreciated! ;) not sure i'll know all hybrids against pure breeds but at least now i know a good few breeds :)

CMFAM

• Experienced Member
Market/auctions..
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 14:51 »
just don't get carried away and come home with a turkey like we did :lol:  :lol: - and remember to take a crate/carrier in case you buy anything - althou you said you are just looking :lol: - we were only meant to be looking when we went!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

clare

CMFAM

• Experienced Member
Market/auctions..
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 14:53 »
also if you do buy anything, have somewere ready to quarantine them for a week or so to make sure they are healthy etc :lol:

clare

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Market/auctions..
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 15:01 »
Just make sure they are healthy Porffor  :!:

Porffor

Market/auctions..
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 15:06 »
Thanks all! :) NO turkeys for us.. no no.. eldest is petrified of them.. can't promise the same about ducks though! :lol:

seriously though, bright eyes, good weight, tidy legs and full feathers.. is that about all i need to look for in healthy chooks?
I have the old henhouse (purple one) and a guinea pig run that i can use to isolate any newbies. :)

I'll remember the dog carrier too ;) just in case we get some..  8)

Paddywack

• Experienced Member
Market/auctions..
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 15:17 »
Hi Poffor,

Under your circumstances I wouldn’t buy from an auction unless you are really up on your birds.

I go to auctions on a regular basis and there are some unscrupulous people there, trying to get rid of birds in poor health or birds that are not as described.

Your best course would be a local breeder, they should be able to offer you the birds to fit your circumstances and if there was a problem you have some comeback.

After saying all that negative stuff auction are great fun if you don’t get carried away, so go and enjoy

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Market/auctions..
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 15:19 »
ALSO:

No sneezes, snotty noses or rattly breathing, no droopy wings, no dirty bums, no gaping, no nasty poos in the cage, no deformed feet or beaks (bills).  Active interested birds only !

That'll do for a start  :wink:

Auctions are not for the inexperienced.

Porffor

Market/auctions..
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 16:28 »
hmm ok. maybe i should stay home and wait a bit. then get some birds form the dealer I spoke to a while back...  :roll:

mumsy

Market/auctions..
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 18:51 »
I think you should go & take a look to see what is on offer.  You don't have to buy anything.  I went with Babe a few weeks ago & you would be suprised that you DO reconise birds that are not up to scratch.  Theres no harm in looking....except in Babe's case, she always buys :roll:  :roll:  :roll:
Have fun

Jellyhead

Market/auctions..
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 19:47 »
Really :shock:  :shock:  :shock: you do surprise me :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

Porffor

Market/auctions..
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 23:07 »
theres not a smiley for scratching my head not knowing what to do for the best.

I'll see how the week pans out (dog to the vets again tomorrow) and maybe go along, with a view of only buying if i'm totally sure of it being healthy (no doubts in my head) lol

kattcottrell

• Experienced Member
    • www.funkychickengifts.com
Market/auctions..
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 23:16 »
Ooooh you know what will happen if you take your cat carrier with you, you're gonnna bring something hommmme   :wink:  :wink:

If that was me I would have to leave the carrier at home or i wouldnt be able to help myself :lol:
Katt

Foxy

Market/auctions..
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 23:17 »
My advice is to only go and look and def not to buy. You really can get carried away or feel sorry for one, or even worse end up with a cockerel with no recourse to return it.
Some of the rare breed auctions are interesting with some lovely birds for sale, again you need to know exactly what breeds you are interested in, some auctions like Salisbury  Rare Breeds publish catalogues on the net so you can have a look beforehand.

CMFAM

• Experienced Member
Market/auctions..
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 23:31 »
hi, if the auction is the one in llandeilo, we found that they did have a lot of pure breeds (well so they were advertising as), I'm no expert, but when we went, the birds did seem very healthy, althou we came back with a turkey :lol:, It was the first auction for ourselves as well, and i enjoyed the experience of just going and looking around, you can phone the auctioniers this week and i am pretty sure they will send you out a catalogue as they issue catalogues on the day, Last month they were selling anything from rabbits, black swans, peafowl to mandarin ducks and loads of different breeds of chickens from chicks to adult chickens with there chicks.

We found it was a good day out and would definately go again :D  :D

clare

CMFAM

• Experienced Member
Market/auctions..
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 23:36 »
hi, the other bit of advice i can give is that the auction is NOT the best place for small children as it was very busy when we went, with people steping on your toes every few seconds and not much room to pass as the auction was in a catle market, with narrow isles.

clare :lol:

xx
Auctions

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 27, 2011, 22:23
by Aunt Sally
xx
poultry auctions

Started by cornfed on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 28, 2007, 18:37
by cornfed
xx
bird/egg auctions

Started by chickenlittle on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post September 29, 2007, 22:51
by richyrich7
xx
Poultry Auctions

Started by Feeb on The Hen House

53 Replies
Last post September 07, 2009, 16:10
by Foxy

Page created in 0.354 seconds with 37 queries.