Drip Watering Kits

• 20 Replies

AndyRVTR

Drip Watering Kits
« on: January 05, 2012, 18:58 »
Has anyone used one of these systems? and more importantly are they any good?
Over the past couple of years I have neglected my Toms and I havent had a good a crop as maybe I should have had  :(
Because I work full time, I can only really get to the plot before work (7am) and when I finish (5 or 6pm), this means that I am watering my toms twice a day, and tbh from what I have read I dont like watering them late on as I understand that Toms are daytime feeders and dont like sitting in water overnight.
I have read a number of online articles and the general consensus seems to be little and often, so would one of these set-ups suit around my work commitments and my Toms??

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Drip Watering Kits
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 19:08 »
I've used the sort which are basically large plastic bags hanging up on a hook, with slow drip feed pipes coming out a bit like these (but not this make)

http://www.nvsuk.org.uk/garden_equipment/water-garden/gravity-fed-drip-system.html
 Worked just fine as long as the end of the pipe doesn't get bunged up with soil.

Mine holds enough water to last about two days only, so is no use of you are away for longer

However, my plot neighbour has a battery-run timer one, which runs off his raised water butt, via the tap, using soak hose and this is excellent

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

AndyRVTR

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 19:12 »
Thanks SSB, the one I was looking at was this one...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270798053597?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I wouldnt use it on a tap system, but would convert it to fit one of my barrels in the greenhouse, so the water is the same temperature...  :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 19:20 »
Yes that looks quite good, doesn't it?

Actually I might think about having a butt in the greenhouse at home for when we are away, as asking neighbours to water toms etc in the summer is hard --- either drowned or crisped by the time we return  :lol:

I'll have to check the pipes are long enough... these might be on my list too if not  ;)

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 21:17 »
The drip systems are particularly good and used by most commercial greenhouses and market gardeners. You adjust the drip to exactly where you want it. Only catch is that you must use either the tap or strained greenhouse water, never water butts because they catch too much fine sediment which would then clog the drip spouts easily.

I purchased a manual 1 hour timer for my tap - no dependency on batteries or electricity and it shuts off exactly when I set it for. Its way better than my memory.

The initial investment might appear a bit high but all worth it in the end as major suppliers offer replacement bits.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 21:23 »
Hadn't thought of the water in butts possibly clogging the little tubes/spouts, Trillium.

Have the bear that in mind: thank you  :)

woodavon

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 21:42 »
Last year I grew tomatoes outside and in a greenhouse.  The outside ones were great but my greenhouse ones didn't fair too well.  I bought a watering system which has a timer and runs off an outside tap with drippers in each pot - but I think I got the timing and/or amount of drip wrong!  Anyone give me any advice about how much water they need and what time of day is best.  It can be set for anything from one minute and any number of times per day. 
Thanks  :)

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 01:56 »
Hadn't thought of the water in butts possibly clogging the little tubes/spouts, Trillium.

Have the bear that in mind: thank you  :)

It can be a real problem Sunny because water butts will catch shingle grit, dirt and leaves from metal/felt roofs, bird poo, dust particles, twiggy bits, etc. You'd think things like the poo would dissolve but often, not. The rest, never.

The possibility is great that things will get stirred up and into the lines. Once that happens, you must disconnect everything and flush out the works, then reconnect. Terrible waste of time if you can avoid it.

Same goes for soaker hoses on water butts - once clogged, its impossible to flush them out.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 07:08 »
Since posting about my plot neighbour's system, Mr Sunny has told me that there is a double layer of environmesh over the end of his tap that is inside the butt.

Obviously he has talked about this with the guy .... gadget mad I tell you, gadget mad  :lol:

Auntiemogs

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 11:36 »
I've been using one which is connected to my outside tap for several years Andy and it has been such a boon. I can't always get out to water my toms and have mine on a timer so it comes on twice a day. It was really simple to install and you can buy all sorts of drippers/sprayers etc on ebay/squintynet quite cheaply these days (mine had adjustable drippers so I can very the amount of water delivered. Going to extend it this year and deffo wouldn't be without it.  :happy: 
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

woodavon

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 17:44 »
Auntiemogs - what times twice a day and for how long do you set yours up for?  I don't think I got it quite right last year!  Thanks

Auntiemogs

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 18:06 »
Auntiemogs - what times twice a day and for how long do you set yours up for?  I don't think I got it quite right last year!  Thanks
I had mine set for one hour, twice a day woodavon but it will depend on the number of drippers, how many you have per unit area (and also the number of plants per unit area) and the output from the drippers per hour. Sorry it sounds so complicated, think I was just lucky to get it right first time but then again it could be that my toms are in raised beds so any excess drained away...  :wacko:
You could put a pot under one of the drippers and leave it on for an hour to work out how much water is coming out of it or a simpler way would be just put it on for less time and see if they start to droop?  :happy:
I'm going for adjustable drippers this year (cheap on fleabay) so will have to play around myself.
Mags  :blink:

woodavon

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 22:19 »
Mags - thanks for the help.  Will try measuring more carefully this year.  Snag last year was that we were able to go on hols unexpectedly and bought the drippers, set them up and went off without much time to play around and experiment wirth them.  Thanks again.

rainie

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2012, 09:18 »
We bought two last year to try out and found life a bit easier. Bought two more for this year to complement them.  Also bought some for Christmas Presents as so impressed with them. Yes they do get a bit slow or stop with bits in water but found as long as we filled the watering can slowly from the top of the butt, rather than sinking it under the water, this eliminated the problem.  Tomatoes etc all were healthier and gave us a bit more freedom. We had them dripping very steadily all the while.
Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else.

Slowgrind

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2012, 10:00 »
I don't know if they are all the same but the one I got from Aldi last year was so tricky to regulate that I ended up pulling it out and watering by hand morning or evening. I only used it in a small GH so it wasn't missed.

xx
drip watering system

Started by agapanthus on Equipment Shed

16 Replies
Last post July 06, 2008, 19:50
by waddecar
xx
Needing a good watering can or watering can rose. Any recommendations?

Started by timdunn on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post May 17, 2020, 10:37
by Yorkie
xx
Water butt irrigation drip kit

Started by mjpalin on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post May 11, 2014, 23:11
by mumofstig
clip
home made drip irrigation system

Started by grendel on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post May 09, 2013, 12:24
by sowitgrowit

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 37 queries.