What I did on the plot today - 2012

• 2319 Replies

DigIt

• Experienced Member
  • Each to their own
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2012
« Reply #705 on: March 28, 2012, 20:11 »
Whilst in painting mode, (he sheds have been done over the past week) this time the raised bed has had a lick of paint preservative too.

Looks much better. Like somebody loves it now..... :)

Also, first thing this morning in a nice WARM g/house, sowed some sage, dill, basil and parsley in seed trays to prick out at a later date and sowed 2 trays of 15 cells with some Runner Beans 'Polestar and The Czar'
In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous.
Aristotle.

Diary comments and questions

sachkrimbo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #706 on: March 28, 2012, 21:58 »
Sowed celeriac, fennel, corriander, lettuce, courgette and cucumber.  Planted cherry cordon.  Noticed MASSIVE crack in concrete part of fence, called neighbour over to it check out as it has appeared after they have built a carport at the side of their house.  Worried about cherry cordon, as its planted near crack. Fed strawberries, peach tree, blueberries and grapes with homemade comfrey tea. Had a beer, whilst staring at crack and cursing it under my breath.

richrua

• Experienced Member
    • allotment ireland
« Reply #707 on: March 29, 2012, 09:33 »
I had a grand day yesterday.

I found they were selling 8 herbs for a tenner at the garden centre. I have never grown any herbs really so it was nice to get a good variety in one go.

I put them into various places following Bob flowerdew's suggestions on Companion planting - put some into my cabbage bed to deter cabbage fly/worm etc.

I have had 16 meteor peas in the cold frame for over two weeks now. They were getting really big so I decided to put them out. No choice really otherwise they would have started to pick up bugs being cramped in there!

I am worried it is way too early to have peas out?
I doubt I have had them out this early before.
You'll never plow a field by turning it over in your mind.

"Tús maith leath na hoibre."

Paul Plots

« Reply #708 on: March 29, 2012, 11:12 »
A great deal of shredding in my parents old back garden so now we can see the shed again after 30 years!

Not sure they would approve of the mess clearance.  :blink:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Mafro

• The Bushcraft Magazine
« Reply #709 on: March 29, 2012, 12:59 »
Yesterday I got my potato bed dug over and approx 60 tubers planted.  These consisted of Charlotte, Arran and Desiree.

Bushcraft & Mushroom Mad

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #710 on: March 29, 2012, 15:00 »
Dug over some more of the old black currant patch.  Was going to replant fruit this spring until I discovered the bind weed menace that had been lurking under there  :ohmy:  Now going to grow veg and work the soil a couple of times this season before replanting  ::)

Then levelled the courgette and squash patch to be - had been rough dug over winter and lots of compost dug in.  Then laid my weed fabric that I had calculated carefully ........ and ran out 2/3rds way across the patch  :wacko:  Maths never was my strong point  :lol:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #711 on: March 29, 2012, 15:31 »
Sowed sugarsnap peas around a circular arrangement of canes (a bit like a wigwam but they don't meet at the top) - finally got fed up with having an annual wrestling match with pea netting and last year nearly ran out of canes to buttress the row as they grew to 7' and acted like a spinnaker!  :ohmy:
I'll use twine this time to help them climb assuming they get that far.

Re-potted the two types of mint in their sunken pots - as usual after just one year they were both a solid mass of shoots and roots (mint root soup, anyone?)  ::)

Thought about putting in the early spuds and sieving some stones out of this year's carrot bed but decided it was far too hot (20C) for that sort of energy expenditure at the moment!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Thephoenix572

• my lottie 2012
« Reply #712 on: March 29, 2012, 16:37 »
Finished digging my potato patch, just got two patches left to dig over. Potted on bell peppers and celeriac
All the way from my allotment in beautiful Derbyshire. I'm in year 3 of my allotment and wish I'd caught the bug years ago, things growing from strength to strength

DigIt

• Experienced Member
  • Each to their own
« Reply #713 on: March 29, 2012, 20:49 »
First job this morning was to make an initial attack on some greefly that thought it would be nice to share my tarragon  >:(. So for their trouble they have had a dose of pyrethrum spray.  :)

Yet another glorious day of summer (???) so off to the allotment, this to to do a bit of top dressing, firstly for the garlic that was looking a little shy on nitrogen (with a light dressing of a general fertiliser) and then on to the strawberry patch on plot 76 (3 years old) which was looking a little lacking of much growth, so the patch got a dressing of sulphate of ammonia (˝oz / sq yd)

Then decided to sow some beetroot 'Sanguina' and 'White' (1 foot row of each) under my mini cloches.
Sowed some more leeks (1m row of each 'Monstreux de Charentan & Bleu de Solaise'), having got to thinking that I need a lot more seedlings for the area I am planning to plant.

Finally, on a second short trip to the plot, planted a tray of broad beans 'The Sutton' (15 plants - sown 11/2 and had made some nice stocky plants) and a couple of trays of peas 'Hatif d'Annonay' (27 plants - sown 11/2). A shortage of space in the g/house and cold frame prompted this move.

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
« Reply #714 on: March 29, 2012, 23:30 »

In the greenhouse sowed marigolds,cosmos.

Sowed spring onions,and mangetout peas,raked over the ground.

Have a run where the turkey used to be 2mx10m,died about 8weeks ago,started clearing

weeds that have grown since.

Catches the sun all day, so want to try grow toms there.   

Auntiemogs

« Reply #715 on: March 30, 2012, 01:33 »
Brushed and hoovered the decking and started painting.  Left painting to 'volunteers'  :lol: and made them bacon butties and tea.  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

CaroleG

• Grow, Cook, Eat It Blog
« Reply #716 on: March 30, 2012, 10:18 »
Weeded at least a million thistles that were just emerging (well it felt like a million  :) ) and sowed some of the calendula seeds that I harvested from last years plants. I use them as companion plants for tomatos usually, but I have so many seeds now that I've also put some in the space I've marked out for the winter squash beds.

grendel

« Reply #717 on: March 30, 2012, 18:40 »
I too gave the decking a lick of timber treatment to freshen it up and look after it for another year.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Plottered

• Still on the same list!
« Reply #718 on: March 30, 2012, 18:44 »
Nothing....recovering at home from an "impacted tooth extraction" in hospital yesterday...quite painful and swollen. I'll be back next week though  :)
R.I.P Bobby Smiler Smith......love you always little fella.

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
« Reply #719 on: March 30, 2012, 20:03 »
Nice family time at the plot today - my little boy came and even persuaded the Mrs to come!!

Planted about 100 mangetout i had sown at home, Sowed 2 short rows or spring onions, 2 short rows of parsnips, dug over another unplanted bed, checked the goosberries - no sign of pesky baddies as of yet but they wont be far away!!!

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2013

Started by Paul Plots on Grow Your Own

2699 Replies
Last post December 31, 2013, 19:40
by snowdrops
xx
What I did on the plot today 2018

Started by robinahood on Grow Your Own

355 Replies
Last post December 26, 2018, 17:48
by Offwego

Page created in 0.507 seconds with 38 queries.