What I did on the plot today - 2012

• 2319 Replies

like diggingk

• Experienced Member
  • Our dog Molly relaxing on the allotment
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2012
« Reply #2145 on: October 19, 2012, 10:52 »
moved the compost bin it was on very waterlogged ground compost always very wet  :ohmy:
so know it on dryer ground  ::)
not a nice job but pleased that i'v don it  :D
hopefully some nice compost for next year  :) 

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #2146 on: October 19, 2012, 14:32 »
Dug up the last three rows of spuds and took down the lady wigwam. Two hours of tidying then beds are closed till spring
What's a lady wigwam?
Anne

polly nator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2147 on: October 20, 2012, 18:28 »
Very sadly took down the runners and climbing French bean wigwam. Very sadly pulled up two enormous glove courgette plants which are still bravely putting out female flowers but which the frost will triumph over. pulled up remaining outdoor tomato plants. Son in law had at least managed to bring in all the green toms before the frosts came.

Pulled up a few carrots.

Dug up a couple of very healthy chilli plants, removed the chillies, trimmed them down and potted up to take indoors to see if I can overwinter or at least prolong the season alongside a mini red aubergine plant and teeny weeny pear tomato plant.

Said prayers and cast spells over a row of pumpkins on my window sill (and one left outside) which were grown by my five year old grandson who is desperate to have his own home grown pumpkin lantern this year but he also wants it to be rip so his mummy can cook with the insides.

Please send all positive thoughts in the direction of York. Thanks!

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
« Reply #2148 on: October 20, 2012, 20:58 »

Did some weeding ,composted courgette  and some squash plants.

Took a load of seeds from some dried sunflower heads,to dry out more in greenhouse.

Collected another 20 bags of leaves from the village green .

Paul Plots

« Reply #2149 on: October 21, 2012, 01:00 »
I think my plot may have become a housing estate.... not seen it for two weeks and then only a rushed two hour visit - the first for a fortnight.  :( :(
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Yana

« Reply #2150 on: October 21, 2012, 14:06 »
All the best laid plans......
Rain came on early and hasn't stopped so a quick visit to get the veggies for dinner tonight is all I'll manage.
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2151 on: October 21, 2012, 16:58 »
Ground too wet to do much on the plot except pick a couple of things so came home  :(

At home, cleared the last couple of chilli plants from the greenhouse and potted up my T&M offer plug plants.  Started garlic in pots - my plot is unforgiving to cloves planted direct, but once they have some roots they don't mind the clay based soil at all  :)

Cleared up the seakale bed and the asparagus bed and cut back the old leaves on the strawberry bed.

Finally got around to planting out my rooted strawberry runners - the Marshmello as edging to a raised bed at home and the climbing ones in hanging baskets ( they are easier to manage as trailers  ;))  

Satisfying day  :D

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
« Reply #2152 on: October 21, 2012, 19:24 »

Composted some more squash  plants, rhubarb leaves and sweetcorn stems.

Took down frames for veg squash,and did some weeding.

Put some more sunflower heads in greenhouse to dry.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2153 on: October 21, 2012, 20:28 »
Added still more to the compost daleks, together with chopped paper from the bag in the shed

Picked what is probably the last of the autumn raspberries, and returned the (unbroken) glass panes that had slid out of next door's old wooden framed greenhouse onto out plot - they are safely on by his water butt
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Eblana

« Reply #2154 on: October 22, 2012, 10:26 »
Harvested some more tomatoes, carrots, beetroot and kale and the one remaining corn on the cob that the field mouse hadn't devoured.

Had to pull out my Cukes as they were in mush and I would say that the tomatoes will be out next weekend.

Caulis are still doing nicely and are beginning to get bigger so I pulled their leaves down over them.  Judging by how much they have expanded since last week I should be able to pick the biggest one next weekend and get a meal out of it - have never managed to get a cauli from the plot before despite planting every year for the past 3 years - amazing how something so simple can create so much excitement!!!

jmc1949

« Reply #2155 on: October 22, 2012, 15:20 »
On plot 1 moved 2 more raised beds into position, put weed suppressant down and bark chippings around them. Slowly getting the plot sorted. 2 more beds to move and the the paths to do and that plot is ready for spring.  Plot 2 is still in a mess.

leelee

« Reply #2156 on: October 24, 2012, 15:45 »
Just spent about hour and half down the plot, planted 2 rows of onions, 2 rhubarb and a pineberry, sprayed some roundup on the side covered in weeds so hopefully that should help! Have 5 asparagus crowns that need to go in but have to prepare there bed first.
Glad I went over now, the rain held off and I didn't spend the afternoon on the sofa!!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2157 on: October 24, 2012, 15:57 »
First visit in a week because it's been so wet and it is sooo weedy already  :(

Hoed and planted garlic in a small bed.....I'll have more time for weeding tomorrow, so I hope it doesn't rain again.

jmc1949

« Reply #2158 on: October 24, 2012, 16:31 »
Move the strawberry bed and replanted the strawberries. Weeded the bed with the spinach, curly kale and spring cabbage.

allotmentann

« Reply #2159 on: October 24, 2012, 16:38 »
It is so gloomy and everything is sodden, but I got such a lot done. I coppiced the hazel which has not been done for years. I used a Bahco Laplander saw and am absolutely amazed at how it sliced through the huge branches. Being only seven stone my tools really do have to do the work and I was staggered that this little saw was so good. I trimmed all the bigger twiggy bits off the canes (like to leave some on for climbers to cling too),and piled them up ready for future use and hopefully they will be a tempting home for hibernating hedgehogs. I made a second bean wigwam (made them now so I won't forget which beds I added the compostables to). Then made a trellis (using some of my new canes) to hide the compost bins. Planted three new blackberry Reuben canes. Would like to have done some digging and weeding but the ground was just too wet.However, I am pleased as the plot looks so much better now that the hazel is in proportion :)

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
ate my first ever strawberry from my plot today!!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 09:00
by diggerjoe
xx
my plot today (pics)

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post January 25, 2010, 14:01
by pawsnclaws

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 30 queries.