An eggy Q

• 2 Replies

JaK

• Happy half plot.
An eggy Q
« on: December 18, 2011, 21:29 »
My RIR has just started laying and I've noticed that each egg she lay's is slightly larger than the last. Her first egg's shell was almost white and each egg's shell since has been darker in colour is this what usually happens? at what point does the egg colour settle? I'm intrigued about.  :lol:

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: An eggy Q
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 22:57 »
They soon get into the swing of things but if they free range and eat less layers pellets you will find that their egg colours can vary from day to day.

I can usually tell the difference between my 6 hens eggs even though I have 4 Blackrocks and 2 Bovan Goldlines.  They all lay different shape, size and colours although the colour variation is very slight.  It helps if you get to know who is laying what so that you can look out for signs of ill health if one stops laying for any length of time.    ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
Re: An eggy Q
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 23:34 »
It's interesting isn't it?

Over the first few months of laying, my pullets' eggs gradually got bigger.  They've been laying for a few months now and although their egg size has settled to a certain extent, they are still gradually getting a bit bigger.  

Also my Light Sussex pullet went broody and stopped laying for a few weeks, and now she has started again with her pullet-sized mini eggs.  But this time the size is increasing much faster than it did originally.

My Barnevelders lay 65g - 70g eggs, the Barred Rocks lay 60 - 65g eggs, and the Light Sussex is now laying 55g eggs although they are increasing in size.

I think the pigmentation on an egg usually decreases over the laying season so I would expect them to get lighter rather than darker.  I can't explain your girl's darker eggs.

xx
Eggy Eggs!!

Started by ycholmes on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 22, 2011, 21:10
by ycholmes
xx
tweeting eggy

Started by babe on The Hen House

68 Replies
Last post February 14, 2008, 19:13
by Aunt Sally
xx
eggy question

Started by andy and deb on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 16, 2011, 13:20
by andy and deb
xx
Eggy Problem

Started by MrsC on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 18, 2009, 14:55
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 28 queries.