poorly hen very worried

• 5 Replies

annewat

poorly hen very worried
« on: December 10, 2011, 10:30 »
i have an orpington hen 20 weeks old who has been healthy up to now, but this morning she is sitting hunched up and when i tried to get her to walk one foot is making a tight fist and is very cold to the touch, the other leg is fine. i have put her in a straw filled box in the coop. do you think this is a sympton of a disease or physical damage. the foot is not swollen and has no apparent cuts.

kegs

Re: poorly hen very worried
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 11:25 »
When you say it's not swollen, do you mean her leg or her foot?  Have you checked underneath her foot for any signs there as chickens can get something called bumblefoot?  Also, is she still eating and drinking?

annewat

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 11:35 »
thanks for your reply kegs. her foot and leg are not swollen and i dont think she has an infection as the foot is not hot at all, in fact compared to the good foot it is freezing cold. i was wondering about nerve damage or a knock to her leg or back as she is holding her tail right down. she isnt showing any interest in food or water. i have made her some warm porridge but she wouldnt try it.

thegreatbear

my poorly chicken.
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 15:34 »
Please can someone help. My little copper maran is sitting hunched up looking very unwell with very loose motions. She is eating and drinking and l have checked her over for any mites, none seen. What should l do?.

kegs

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 17:55 »
thanks for your reply kegs. her foot and leg are not swollen and i dont think she has an infection as the foot is not hot at all, in fact compared to the good foot it is freezing cold. i was wondering about nerve damage or a knock to her leg or back as she is holding her tail right down. she isnt showing any interest in food or water. i have made her some warm porridge but she wouldnt try it.

Annewat - Sorry, no other ideas really other than trying to keep tempting her with some food and water.  Keep an eye on her and see how she is tomorrow, and a trip to the vet might be in order.  A friend of mine had a chicken with a limp which lasted for a good few weeks but other than the limp it carried on as normal - I think leg injuries where they may have landed badly can take quite a while to improve.  Let us know how she is tomorrow.

Please can someone help. My little copper maran is sitting hunched up looking very unwell with very loose motions. She is eating and drinking and l have checked her over for any mites, none seen. What should l do?.

thegreatbear - Has your maran been wormed recently and did you use Flubenvet - if not order some ASAP or get some from your vet. 
Here's the link for poo pics so you can make a comparison.
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0
It could be that she's just eaten something that disagreed with her.  I had a LS recently who was hunched up for a whole day but the next day he came out of the coop almost back to his old self.  Let us know how she is tomorrow and good luck.

sally10

• Chickens make me smile everyday !!
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 20:28 »
One of my black rocks seemed very down the other week just sitting and when I picked her up she flopped in my arms. She wouldn't eat or drink so from previous topics on here I bought a medicine from telco pharmacy aBout 95p and fed her some water into her beak and then a mixture of poultry tonic and water, I also put a small amount of tuna in her beak which she ate and was swallowing the water. The next day she was fine. I always worry about not getting enough fluid,
I good way of doing it as you need two hands is to sit on the floor with your legs tucked under your bum pu the hen in-between your legs and pin her in then gently one th beak slightly and gently put a little water in her beak, she should then swollow it.

xx
Poorly Hen.... very worried

Started by Molly Hen on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post February 12, 2009, 09:28
by cathangirl
xx
Advice re poorly old hen please (lice and croup problem) worried :(

Started by rosie14 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post August 03, 2011, 23:49
by rosie14
xx
Worried

Started by Wyandottie on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 19, 2009, 10:24
by smiler43
xx
Should I be worried???

Started by mo-jo on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 04, 2010, 16:16
by kazzii2010

Page created in 0.281 seconds with 28 queries.