Cheap cuts of meat, and the rest...

• 88 Replies

Growster...

Re: Cheap cuts of meat, and the rest...
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2011, 05:25 »
i got some stewing steak knocked down at asda made a big casserole and just freeze the rest i thnk in these cash strapped times a slow cooker and a freezer are essensial kit in the kitchen .
chrissie b

Spot on there Chrissie!

The slow cooker we bought earlier this year, has been an absolute godsend! I even use it for simmering elderberries for 'Growster Hooch', (recipe somewhere in - er - 'Recipes', under 'Christeton')!

It also makes things like soup which cost next to nothing, but can be knocked up in an hour  or so, and last several meals!

The breast of lamb recipe just blows your socks off!

Auntiemogs

« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2011, 07:21 »
Yay! You've just given me an idea for those two pounds of elderberries in my freezer Growster. Thank you for that!  :tongue2:
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Trillium

« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2011, 17:22 »
Just came across this interesting article about how to keep from starving and thought a few people might find some tips, or even seek out the related websites for more info:

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/pinched-debt-crisis-greeks-turn-wartime-frugality-cookbooks-133638445.html

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2011, 18:45 »
Just came across this interesting article about how to keep from starving and thought a few people might find some tips, or even seek out the related websites for more info:

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/pinched-debt-crisis-greeks-turn-wartime-frugality-cookbooks-133638445.html

Interesting comments there Ice (although I'll pass on eating up the stray cats and dogs), especially about spending too much on too little, and the never waste anything remarks at the end struck a chord
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Trillium

« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2011, 20:41 »
 :D I suspect a lot of people will pass on eating stray cats and dogs. But many of the other tips are very helpful. John just might have to keep tight hold of all his moggies   :D

evie2

« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2011, 21:15 »
I remember being told in domestic science that a meal should be finished with something sweet to balance the savoury.  I don't know if it's true but it seems to work for us :) 

Our food bills are high, Ali eats for 3.  We don't have meat every night, soup is always on the go at this time of year, pasta, especially macaroni cheese is very popular.  Stews are bulked out with veg and pulses as is mince which usually has quorn added too.    Cooking is done in bulk so there's always something in the freezer.  We buy our meat directly from the farm and if we need anything between orders we use the nearby farm shop.  Sausages we buy from one of Ali's friends.  Potatoes and turnips come from a friends farm.  I believe in supporting our home grown producers as much as possible :)

All the children learned to cook from a young age and I'm pleased to say they are very competent :)

I have a nice collection of cookery books and recipes, some from the early 20th century when they weren't so squeamish about meat.  My old school cook book with it's diagrams and common sense approach to cooking is well thumbed :)

Personally, I would like to see housekeeping become part of the national curriculum.
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2011, 21:19 »
Evie I think it is a real shame that housekeeping is not part or every youngster's upbringing, either at school or at home, or even both.

Part of today's issues right now do seem to revolve around the lack of knowledge about how to budget for example, and of course how to actually cook healthy meals day after day

Not true of everyone obviously, but enough to be a real concern

Growster...

« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2011, 05:53 »
"Personally, I would like to see housekeeping become part of the national curriculum."
It used to be Evie. My sister took that as part of the Domestic Science course for the old 'O' levels.

She became a damn good cook too, and would bring home her creations on the bus!

It was in 1960 though...;0)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2011, 06:13 »
"Personally, I would like to see housekeeping become part of the national curriculum."
It used to be Evie. My sister took that as part of the Domestic Science course for the old 'O' levels.

She became a damn good cook too, and would bring home her creations on the bus!

It was in 1960 though...;0)

It really should be brought back though --- perhaps I should ite to our glorious leader to that effect.

Or better still, get the children at school to write, via our local MP....... hmmm. Leave that with me to mull over during the day and I'll get back to you  ;)

Growster...

« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2011, 07:12 »
Perhaps you can ask him what he's going to do with his Brussels too KC...;0)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2011, 09:09 »
Very droll Growster  ;)

evie2

« Reply #71 on: December 08, 2011, 09:19 »
At daughters school this term she has Finance as part of her PSD, taught by a bankrupt, so that should be interesting.  They also have a veg garden but it's only the 'naughty, disruptive' students who are allow to be involved, how does that work then?

rowlandwells

« Reply #72 on: December 08, 2011, 16:11 »
talking about meats has anyone ever bought or tried salt beef

we always used to have salt beef at Christmas time basically its what it says beef soaked in salt water or brine for several weeks then boiled leave in the fridge for about a day and carve

usually served with salad  chutney pickled onions or other preserves  lovely grub :D :D

rowlandwells

« Reply #73 on: December 08, 2011, 16:35 »
 talking of meat has anyone tried salt beef it a cut of beef usually brisket soaked in salt water or brine for several  days

then boiled nice and slow when cooked let it stand for a day slice and  serve cold with salad pickle onions chutney or other preserves of your choice

we used to buy it from our local butcher every Christmas but since the butchers shop's changed hands he no longer does salt beef

i have toiled with the idea of making my own sometime but i need to find a recipe

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #74 on: December 08, 2011, 17:17 »
Ah, domestic science (as it was called in my day!) ... they even taught us how to wash up!!!  Now that WOULD be a good trick, to get youngsters to find the dishwasher these days, never mind actually wield a washing up brush!!

As for food itself, a friend of mine who works at the local college was telling me that one of her students (on the catering course mind you) didn't know what a cauliflower was!!  I was appalled, needless to say.  But this sort of thing is apparently quite common - due no doubt to everything being coated in breadcrumbs and deep fried, and dished up in brown paper bags with 'McSomething' on the side. :wacko:

xx
MEAT

Started by muntjac on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

10 Replies
Last post November 09, 2007, 20:51
by gobs
xx
help please all you meat cooks

Started by Madame Cholet on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

15 Replies
Last post February 19, 2013, 20:11
by Madame Cholet
xx
Smoking meat for Mrs Bee

Started by dim on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post August 24, 2013, 14:24
by Goosegirl
xx
Meat mincer help

Started by Beetroot queen on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post January 03, 2009, 12:26
by Val H

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 29 queries.