Dense Planting Cherry Trees

• 14 Replies

simonwatson

Dense Planting Cherry Trees
« on: November 23, 2011, 10:47 »
I've been reading on-line about planting cherry trees (and fruit trees in general) very close together when space is limited.

Specifically, I'm planning on planting three dessert cherry trees (good pollination partners with slightly different fruiting time) together to as a 'single' plant. Each tree is on Gisella 5 and the idea is to plant the three in a triangle with the trunks spaced about 18".

Does anyone have any experience of planting trees like this? What have your results been like?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Dense Planting Cherry Trees
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 10:54 »
have never heard about planting trees that close together. In forestry they plant close together (although not that close) to encourage the trees to grow quickly and straight giving good straight lumber, but never for fruit trees - after all you do want several good top branches to bear the fruit that you can reach don't you  :unsure:
Staffies are softer than you think.

Spana

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 11:06 »
Not seen fruit trees planted like this but have seen silver birch.

They were planted close together in groups of 3 over quite a large area and underplanted with lavenders, beautiful i thought. :) 

I dont know the root stock Gisella5, what form does it take. :)

simonwatson

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 11:11 »
Gisella 5 is semi dwarfing, 10 - 12 feet. The idea is that the further competition should reduce the vigour further and leave me with a nice manageable ensemble.

I'd grow all three centre leader and stake them to a post between the three.

Spana

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 11:58 »
I'd grow all three centre leader and stake them to a post between the three.

Just out of interested, is that one post over all or a post each.

If you're growing them like ballerinas i think they would be fine and dont'ya just love cherries, i do :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 20:28 »
Personally I think that's far too close; they will compete heavily for nutrients and moisture.  Their branches will intertwine over time, making pruning almost impossible and harvesting potentially difficult.

I would not use a single stake in the middle of the 3.  Staking advice is to either use 3 stakes in a triangle round each tree, or at least to use one per tree - at 45 degrees to the trunk and pointing upwind into the prevailing wind.  You couldn't achieve that with one stake for all 3 trees.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 20:31 »
I agree with Yorkie that the trees will not have nearly enough water to give decent crops of cherries.

Best to think again and save the disappointment, especially as the trees will not be cheap
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

solway cropper

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 22:04 »
Planting that close will surely lead to dramatically reduced yields. I read somewhere that minarette type apple trees can give 40 or 50 fruits but I can get 200-300 from a 'proper' tree so why plant five or six?

I'm sure the same would be true for cherries and even on a semi dwarfing rootstock they would still have  a fair bit of vigour. My mature cherry has been crown reduced but I still need a ladder to pick the fruit.

simonwatson

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 22:58 »
Thanks for the advice guys, but I just want you to know what I'm thinking before completely dismissing it as mad.

I don't want three trees that  produce the full yield each. I want the equivalent of one tree's worth of cherries from three different varieties throughout the season, in the space occupied by a single tree, a bit like a pear or apple family tree. Instead of three trees producing a 45lb glut, I want a long season with 15lb of fruit per tree. Plus netting a single form should be easier than netting three trees.

You're right that the three trees would compete for both moisture and nutrients, but the plan is to restrict each through pruning to fewer than normal in terms of branches. In essence there would be the same amount of live tree by mass in the same area as a single tree.

As for staking the trees, it sounds like I would need to rethink that.

Cost wise it means paying more at the start for the same amount of fruit, but that's something I'm willing to accept.

Here's where I got the idea:

http://www.davewilson.com/homegrown/BOC_explained.html

Now, with what I've said above in mind, am I still insane or does it sound plausible?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 23:19 »
I still think it sounds implausible although I can see your thinking.

You will still have 3 lots of roots, which is where the competition for moisture and nutrients comes from.

I seriously doubt that you will get the yield you hope for.

But if you have the money, space and time to spare then why not go for it?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 23:20 by Yorkie »

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 07:35 »
Interesting idea and I can see where you are coming from.

I notice though that his three trees do not have anyhting else growing nearby at all.Probably because the roots of three trees would take a serious amount form the soil.

Personally I would have one tree and freeze the fruit I didn't eat straight away, or think of other space saving ways, like espalier perhaps.

But if money is no object........

Hope it works for you  :)

Thrift

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 07:47 »
I used to live beside a grower who had several acres of miniature trees, mostly apple but some cherry. They were spaced about 3' apart even then, when they were at the pre fruiting stage.

Jamie Oliver was in Worcestershire on last weeks prog. where there was a lot of regeneration of cherry orchards. Some advice from some of those growers would be invaluable.

Spana

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011, 10:37 »
I think its a really interesting way of growing fruit.  As i love experiments i would try it and learn from the result :)

Just as an add on,  a previous owner of our house made and planted  the garden in the form its in now, about 30years ago.  She planted everything in 3's to get a quick impact with the intention to take the extras out as they grew.  Unfortunately she moved house 2years later and sold it to non gardeners who did nothing.
So  when i took over i had  huge shrubs and trees that look like one but are in fact in most cases 3 planted close together.  They had survived without watering or care of any sort. :)

So i'm inclined to think it will work :)

simonwatson

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2011, 10:44 »
Thanks for all the responses everyone. Your time and effort is appreciated. The trees are arriving today and as the weather seems right I'm going to plant them tonight. If the worst comes to the worst and yields or growth are too suppressed I'll just have to keep my favourite and sacrifice the other two for it in a few years time.

Nobbie

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2011, 17:42 »
I think they'll do fine, like you say, each tree will just be smaller. Just be careful to make sure that one tree doesn't start dominating by careful pruning to keep them even in size as one of the trees may come with a better root system so will get off to a better start

xx
Cherry Trees

Started by Potterer on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 08, 2019, 11:15
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Cherry Trees

Started by Antonius on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 15, 2010, 18:43
by Trillium
xx
Cherry trees

Started by boosmummy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 25, 2011, 22:30
by joyfull
xx
cherry trees

Started by smc on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 19, 2009, 17:26
by jolly jen

Page created in 0.504 seconds with 29 queries.