Fertilisers... what do you use if any?

• 3 Replies

AndyRVTR

Fertilisers... what do you use if any?
« on: November 21, 2011, 18:09 »
Ok, so I'm already getting excited for next year  :) and was wondering what, if any, fertilisers other folk might use throughout the season?
I tend to use a mix of both organic and non organic stuff to help my veg through the year.
Stuff like Growmore, Fish Blood & Bone, horse manure, comfrey, (both tea and leaf) but I also use Superphosphate which has been fabtastic for my Toms this year.
I know there is an absolute minefield of things available to use that will/may help, but is there anything specific that you use that works wonders for your veg, be it organic or non-organic?

rowlandwells

Re: Fertilisers... what do you use if any?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 18:31 »
by the sounds of it you seem to have a well balanced mixture of fertilisers you are already using  i personally use a potash based fert for my potatoes

wood ash for my onion crops mixed  with a little chicken pellets or growmore and i tend to use a nitrogen based fert for my brassicas

i usually put dung on the Lottie in the autumn mainly horse dung because its free to overwinter
so its a bit of mix and match basically I've found its trial and error whats best for your ground comes to mind  some prefer organic others prefer to use liquid fertilisers but I'm not into organic growing so i don't use organic fertilisers

know doubt many will answer what there preferences are all worth reading hope this helps

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 19:23 »
I manured the potato bed in autumn, and used calcified seaweed on the brassica bed at the same time.Next year before planting I used chicken pellets for the brassicas, and applied it every couple of months through the growing period.
The third bed got the compost from the daleks, and grew onion, peas and beans, and it got topped up with FB&B during the year.
The pumpkins went in another bed and got a bucketful of manure under each plant.

Manure and calcified seaweed got added to the greenhouse borders, as some of the soil is removed each year.

This seemed to a work for my sandy soil  :)

solway cropper

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 21:15 »
I mainly use home-made composts and liquid feeds with the addition of wood ash for some plants. This is supplemented through the growing season with BFB and chicken manure pellets.

If it's on special offer anywhere I'll buy high potash liquid feeds for the toms and taties.

xx
Old Fertilisers etc

Started by Elaine G on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 29, 2011, 19:59
by ex-cavator
xx
fertilisers

Started by LILLILEAF on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 31, 2016, 12:59
by Swing Swang
xx
Fertilisers

Started by Nogger on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 23, 2009, 19:32
by Trillium
xx
fertilisers

Started by tomboy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 19, 2010, 15:19
by aelf

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 32 queries.