Help Please

• 25 Replies

SMIFFY

Help Please
« on: October 05, 2007, 19:14 »
Hj Guy's. just came across this site today and I can't say how much help it's been already.I've read loads of books on keeping chucks but I've quickly learn't that you can't beat experience.
 Can anyone tell me if their hens have have slowed down on laying. I have 11 hens and have had them for about 6 months, I have been getting between 7 and 8 eggs a day until about 2 weeks ago, now I'm getting 3 or 4.I have had to treat their shed for redmite lately, is it this or could it be something else?
Any help please,  :?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Help Please
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 19:41 »
Red mite will make your hens anaemic and in low condition.  It will put them off laying. Low light levels will also inhibit egg laying but with such young birds (I presume they were POL when you got them) I would not have thought this would have happened much yet.  Check the red mite again !

muntjac

Help Please
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 19:48 »
dont just treat the birds treat the coop as well .. also look out for other mites and lice these can be black or white , check the legs for scales lifting if they are put vasaline on them . read the posts on treating coops for infestations the birds could have ben put off laying with this and also the light fading as sally said . do all the husbandary chores and hopefully they will come back on lay .if not they will in spring feb  is usually when mine start again :wink:
still alive /............

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Help Please
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 19:50 »
Doooh I should have said that too  :evil:

Have a quick flick through here :

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=5250

SMIFFY

Help Please
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 20:03 »
Thanks guy's, I've treated both hens and the coop, and all their combs etc are still nice and red,( I read they go pink if the hens go anaemic)There are no mites under the scales(as I'm forever checking). I'll keep treating both hens and coop anyway just in case.
Thank you again, from what I've seen on this site so far, you two look like Legends in the Chicken World.........

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Help Please
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 20:06 »
Munty is,  Aunty is just a keen amateur   :!:

muntjac

Help Please
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 20:07 »
and im no expert ............ never will be  :D  :wink:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Help Please
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 20:09 »
Smiffy didn't say you were an expert Munty just a Legend  :roll:  :lol:

SMIFFY

Help Please
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 20:10 »
I've already seen you write that no-body's an expert Munty, thats why I put Legends....

muntjac

Help Please
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 20:10 »
ohhhhh legends .... fort ya said leg ends  :roll:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Re: Help Please
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2007, 13:02 »
hi can sum1 help me?? i'm have 5 hens and 1 cockerel  my hen treasure is acting very strange and am reely scared shell die because i have lost 5 hens already this year due to foxes and rats . shes been standing all by hurself hunched up ahn when i put fresh water down for her she takes alot of it and her belly makes gurgling noises and whn ever i try to touch her tail area she throws up liquid! pleese sumwan help  :( enywan have eny ideas??
Treasure is my fav hen!

muntjac

Help Please
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2007, 13:16 »
sounds like she is real poorly .has she been poorly for long and have you changed the diet or given her any treats .. has anyone put down rat poison to get rid of the rats ?

Help Please
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2007, 14:45 »
well shes only bin lyke this for 2 days and we live on a farm and they spread pestisides on the field next to us but she never goes in the field and none of the other chickens are effected and we do have rats but we dont put rat poison down do you think she might be egg bound   ? :?

muntjac

Help Please
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2007, 14:51 »
she may be . put your fingers on her tummy and feel for any hard object that feels like egg . if you can feel it then put your fingers behind the egg and gently massage it down to her vent . get some vasaline and just put a little on your finger and rub it around her egg vent you need to open the anus to see it properly .just put a little in her vent and rub  her tummy near the vent to spread it around ..... feed her a few dandelions or lettuce with a few drops of cod liver oil in her mash .if you use pellets  soak them in hot water ,mash them up and add the oil stir it up then let it go cold and feed her it . you can also put her on a warm towel with a hot water bottle filled with WARM water wrapped up up in it :wink:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Help Please
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2007, 14:52 »
You said she sounds Gurgly.  Is her crop squishy and does she have bad breath.   If yes to these I'd go for sour crop:

Have a look here and scroll down to crop problems:

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=4345

Page created in 0.25 seconds with 37 queries.