Your plot: cheap and cheerful? Or POSH?

• 74 Replies

lacewing

Re: Your plot: cheap and cheerful? Or POSH?
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2011, 08:15 »
Our site is a mixture of neat n tidy and steptoe type plots. I need a clear space to work in and can not function in heaps of clutter.  I spent a fair amount of money during the first five years but am now reaping the benefit. I run two plots on my own  with a very good helper called 'apple pie'.  My fellow allotmenteers are a super lot of people, we exchange pruduce, seeds,  plants, ideas and any unwantes items. 'Grumpy' keeps himself to himself but we don't mind that!
There is no better show of antisipation than a man sowing seeds in a field.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2011, 08:46 »
"One man and his dig" by Valentine Lowe is a light-hearted tale of his experiences as a newbie plot holder -  I definitely got the impression that the original objective of growing your own food as cheaply as possible is still taken very seriously when it comes to lotty equipment and buildings, at least on the site he was on!  :lol:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2011, 09:42 »
Definately cheap and very cheerful here!  :)

I decided early (cos I is skint) that I would have to do everything as cheap (or free) as I can and have stuck to that. It's amazing how much equipment and materials you can accumulate just by letting everyone know that you are after things for the plot. Almost all that I use (including the lawnmower, shed, tools and lots of wood) has been donated by freinds who were throwing stuff out. Nowadays, they think 'Aelf will find a use for that on his plot'  :)

Spread the word! it works!!  :)
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

RsT

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2011, 12:26 »
Much to the wifes horror at time (though it does save the pennies for shoes........ :ohmy:)our little back garden plot is cheap and cheerful.
Greenhouse and base freecycle, compost bins freecycle and old fence, bean frame next door neighbours swing, raspberry cage someone's old caravan awning poles off freecycle, all pots freecycle or car boot!
The only expense was the fence to keep the dogs off (had to be nice on OH orders :D) but still got it cut price from Argos clearance, proper spade and fork as birthday presents, compost for potting etc and seeds though these tend to be all reduced etc LOL
Half the enjoyment for me is improvising with what you can find and if something goes wrong or darling son digs it up, sits on it, falls through it etc it doen't feel so bad if it has only cost a few pence! :)

clairebeau

• Experienced Member
    • My Blog. Brambly Corner.
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2011, 14:27 »
"One man and his dig" by Valentine Lowe is a light-hearted tale of his experiences as a newbie plot holder -  I definitely got the impression that the original objective of growing your own food as cheaply as possible is still taken very seriously when it comes to lotty equipment and buildings, at least on the site he was on!  :lol:

Ohhhhh I neeeeeeeeeeed this book now!  I read your comment and dashed over to Amazon and have read the first few pages...seriously want to read the rest of the book.  'Using the Plot' was my last book and this 'One man and his dig' will be perfect!  Off to the library website to see if they have it...I'm too tight to buy books (sorry John  ::) )  although reading through everyones comments answering my original question about being cheap or posh, I think there is definitely a book ready for the writing based purely on frugal ideas/plans for allotments. Anyone fancy cashing in on it..?  Although, like I say, I wouldn't buy it!  :lol:  x x
Claire. x

"Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker!" - Ogden Nash

thestens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2011, 17:42 »
Try to cheap and cheerful. I have on disadvantage though my plot is one on its own no others around. There is an advantage it's at my local - part of the Beer Garden( fenced off). The Landlady likes the Pub to be part of our village community so offered this plot to first comer.
She charges no rent and helps out with any purchases . All I need to do is keep it neat tidy and cultivated and share some of the produce with the pub restaurant.
Been going about 6 month now and all seems well. They have had spring onions, spinach,lettuce and beetroot for the restaurant.
I use carpets to weed control the paths, I edge the plots with upturned wine bottles( I've got a never ending supply must have used about 300). With luck as more people know about the Allotment they might drop off surplus stuff. Also I look on Freecycle but as yet have only got wood for fruit cages and some big bags of stuff for composting . Looking for a shed or greenhouse.
Taken over neglected veg garden at new home. Enemy number 1 Ground Elder. Then there is the furry terror - bunnies - to contend with!
Made a start have beds established but moved in too late for serious planting. We shall see what 2015 brings.

MJS

• Winner - favourite sunflower photo of 2011
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2011, 18:36 »
Cheap and cheerful here too. One of the things we like the most is the fact that things don't have to look "just so", as we are not the greatest DIY ers. Part of the charm of our lotty, I think. :D

Judd

• Experienced Member
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2011, 18:45 »
My plot has buildings on which are all brick as they used to be used to breed pigs.
There wasn't a roof to be seen anywhere when I got it!
I think I've probably spent approx £300 -400 and god knows how many hours  so far but I've got some great buildings,one's like a small bungalow!
I hope it'll get cheaper when I start to grow things :blink:
It's better to burn out than to fade away !!     ;)

AnneB

« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2011, 19:34 »
Ours is a mix of freebies and budget purchases - although we have been accused of being posh!  It's amazing what a free greenhouse (free provided we dismantled, moved and installed it again), piles of free pallets from freecycle, bargain decking and a bargain internet shed can do once it has a coat of paint. 

I paid £160 for my shed (delivered), £75 for decking/posts/arch, £30 for weed suppressant and enviromesh, £70 for fruit trees/seed and £20 for paint.  I budgeted myself at £1 per day for the first year to get the plot established (there was nothing there when I took it on).

So, my structure is now in place and I can now get free manure, have recently built a fruit frame from an old gazebo, plastic water bottles for cloches, free bark chips from a local tree surgeons, recycled old guttering off freecycle, sealed up a split waterbutt with silicone and reused it, built pallet compost heaps and cloches (covered in enviromesh).

Really, I could have done it without the decking, arch, new shed and weed suppressant fabric, but I wanted a secure shed and didn't want to spend my weekends fighting back the couch grass spreading from paths - I prefer to have the membrane paths and use my time better. 

I tried the budget approach by getting old scaffold planks but the cost was three times more than the new decking to buy!  I do think the growth in allotments means that the cost of seemingly cheap recycled goods are gone up!  I remember reading that a 40 year old greenhouse recently went for more money than its original purchase price on ebay recently!

The price of used scaffolding planks must be higher in St. Leonard's than in Bradford - we have paid £2 each for a full length, with a huge quantity of used debris netting thrown in for nought.   So I suppose it depends what you have nearby, don't be put off trying to source used scaffolding, you might be able to get it cheaply too.

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2011, 18:05 »
Hi
  Mine is mainly cheap and cheerful,it was overgrown and not been used for years.I bought old scaffolding planks to make raised beds,a polytunnel from ebay,but everything else was free.I used fireplace crates to make coldframes with windows from a glazing firm ,pallets to make compost bins and I cut a wooden fence to make supports for my raspberry canes.
   I cleared an overgrown area and found about 1500 bricks which I used to make paths,and a reel of wire,used for supporting rasps.There was loads of metal poles,and wire fencing which I used for runner beans,and sweet peas.
   I have a south facing wall which I have built a framework to support a fig tree ,kiwi plant and a goji  berry using old fencing and wire all free.I was given 2 dalek composters from neighbours.
    I've had guttering,doors glass,containers wood,plant pots, fencing ,baths(5) paving slabs all free,after asking,some people are only to happy to help out, and some free veg in return is much appreciated.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2011, 22:57 »
Mine is looking a bit like a construction site with pallets and security fence panels strewn about... this is only temp as they will all be used or surplus pallets burnt along with the hedge greenery I dug up.. I love free so I'm a cheap and cheerful plot and will one day when all is done and growing well will definitely look posh.. 

Clairebeau - Don,t be scared to ask people for skip stuff and keep on the lookout wherever you go.

PS. I love cake... will have to pop into see your plot and test the cake..  :D

Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

compostqueen

« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2011, 23:09 »
I made decking for my shed by just laying three pallets along the front of it. They fit snugly up to it and to make the shed look very stylish.  My shed was FREE and I did it up and painted it.  I re-roofed it recently as I was sick of it leaking in big style and soaking everything through.  Hope the mice don't move back it now it's dry  :nowink:

Growster...

« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2011, 06:07 »
It has to be 'make do and mend' on the patch, and also much more interesting Claire!

The roof on our new patch shed was totally wrecked, and I scrounged roofing sheets from all and sundry, and they were given up without a whimper - even offered first in one case! Everyone ges something back at some stage, in our case, about three thousand raspberry canes, which seem to have taken on a Triffid-like stance!

The new roof will probably give us all the water we'll need next year...

dexyblue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2011, 08:46 »
Cheap and cheerful, Greenhouse kindly given to me by someone who had bought it from previous owner of my plot. Shed off freecycle another bigger greenhouse off freecycle (waiting to be put up at some stage...had it 2 years now...long story)
Other stuff I use pound shops and stores like Wilkinsons etc.
I have become an expert on bargain hunting  ;) (because I have to)
I came I saw I grew my own veg

Robert_S

• Experienced Member
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2011, 10:02 »
A bit posh for me...have spent quite a lot this year getting it set up, mainly on wood for the shed and raised beds, also a fair bit on soil (before I discovered freecycle) and Wickes compost to fill them up. Plus other bits and bobs like debris netting, a few quid for old paving slabs etc.

Expenses on the horizon now are just some wood and a cover for the polytunnel, then it should just be seeds and plants.

Next year the savings will hopefully begin in earnest on the grocery bills, though I have been pleased with the amount of stuff we've managed to grow even since May. Other less visible savings are on fuel...the lotty is withing easy walking distance, and several weekends have been spent down there for free instead of taking the kids to the beach etc. Oops, going a bit OT there.

xx
Seeds on Ebay shop - cheap cheap for good quality ...

Started by gavinjconway on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post September 28, 2011, 20:55
by radiohead
xx
Tomatoes on the cheap.

Started by VictoriaH on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 18:19
by Elcie
xx
Cheap seeds

Started by SusieB on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 28, 2014, 10:43
by Goosegirl
xx
cheap compost?

Started by Brassica Blaz on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 11, 2010, 21:33
by savbo

Page created in 0.813 seconds with 39 queries.