bald hen!

• 3 Replies

NUMBER27

bald hen!
« on: November 15, 2011, 08:24 »
Hi, one of my girls has developed a bald patch on her back near her tail feathers which appears to be increasing daily. Initially thought this may have been due to other girls pecking at her but don't now think this is the case. Does anyone have any ideas on what it may be and how to treat it. She doesn't appear unwell, still very lively and not off her food. I have just recently changed their bedding material to wood shavingss, could this be the problem? Do I need to get the vet involved or just knit her a woolly jumper?!! Thanks

freebirdy

• I'd rather be insane than boring!
Re: bald hen!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 08:42 »
It could be that she is going into a moult. My 3 year old hen (the oldest I have) is just starting to moult and my garden in covered in feathers! She has no tail feathers left, her bottom is practically bare! All the rest of my birds have gone through a varying degree of mould already, Misty just seems to have left it late!
If there is no sore/broken skin to indicate feather pecking of pulling I shouldn't worry too much.
1 fiance, 3 kids, 1 fish, 1 cat, 9 poland bantams, 6 Barbu de Watermael, 2 allotment plots and not enough time!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 09:03 »
I agree more than likely she is going through a moult unless you have a cockerel and she is his favourite hen.
Staffies are softer than you think.

diamond_lil

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 18:35 »
Could also be red mite. The mites make them itch and so they pull out their own feathers when scratching. Watch to see if she is pecking around the area herself. If it is red mite you need to do some serious dusting and replace all the nesting material, as that is where the little blighters hide. (By the way, we found that wild pigeons getting into the coop can spread red mite.)

Hopefully she is moulting and will be fine.

xx
bald hen

Started by henheaven on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 17, 2010, 17:21
by joyfull
xx
Bald bum

Started by gladiator on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post August 12, 2010, 12:39
by gladiator
xx
Bald Bum! Please help.

Started by HairyBear on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 26, 2009, 18:41
by bexy
xx
bald!

Started by wadz81 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 23, 2009, 11:01
by cathangirl

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 31 queries.