Hi from Somerset

• 6 Replies

BRYANTA

Hi from Somerset
« on: November 13, 2011, 16:06 »
Hi, Just in the process of planning and looking at possibly keeping my 1st hens.
My question is what do most people do when they go away? How do you get round your chicken care?
Any Advice for a 1st timer would be great.  :D

I am sure I will be asking lots of questions in the up coming months!!

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Hi from Somerset
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 16:10 »
Hi and welcome! :D I'll move your question to the Hen House for expert answers. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

BRYANTA

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 16:16 »
Hi and welcome! :D I'll move your question to the Hen House for expert answers. :)

Thanks for that.

mjd

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 16:36 »
Hi I am also in Somerset and have found the best option for coping whilst on holiday is family if possible, another good option is a friend who also keeps chickens this is good as they will have knowledge in case something goes wrong whilst your away and you can also return the favour when they go away. I have heard some people who keep poultry offer a boarding service at a price but I am not sure of any in Somerset.

BRYANTA

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 17:36 »
Hi I am also in Somerset and have found the best option for coping whilst on holiday is family if possible, another good option is a friend who also keeps chickens this is good as they will have knowledge in case something goes wrong whilst your away and you can also return the favour when they go away. I have heard some people who keep poultry offer a boarding service at a price but I am not sure of any in Somerset.

Thanks for that.

bantam novice

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 18:59 »
Hello and welcome to the forum from another member from Somerset.  :D
I would agree with mjd here and also suggest that any eggs collected while taking care of the chickens can act as a little incentive  :)
Good luck and let us know how get on.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

3Bluebelles

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 18:59 »
We have a lovely neighbour who looks after them when we go away. If it's only a week you can away without too much work, just filling up their food and water (have extra feeders so they last a few days), a bit of poo picking, and collecting the eggs. She does it in return for all the eggs they lay, plus we look after her home when she goes away (not much work as she only has a goldfish!)

If you have good neighbours why not suggest it! Or if you have friends or neighbours close by with kids or teenagers, offer to pay them a small amount to do it. They usually love the chance to earn some pocket money.

xx
Smart Chicks Somerset

Started by upthetump on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post January 24, 2015, 09:38
by Geo
xx
Someone to dispatch our geese in North Somerset

Started by Squibbs on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 02, 2010, 22:43
by Squibbs

Page created in 0.257 seconds with 27 queries.