rough bit of ground

• 29 Replies

vegypete

• Location: gravel lane alottments, hemel hempstead hertfordshire
rough bit of ground
« on: November 06, 2011, 21:53 »
hi ya :) i was down at the plot today doing some digging as you do  :D the bit i started on was dry and coverd in old stinging nettels very matted with the roots, stoney as hell i do not think this bit of ground has ever been cultivated, what would one do persever with pick axe and mattok, or cover it with mulch ie deep bed it?...........pete
if at first you don't suckseed try again

compostqueen

Re: rough bit of ground
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 22:00 »
On uncultivated soil I would add a very thick layer of cow muck (now if you can get it).  Let that sit there all winter and then in spring plant spuds there, leaving the muck in place. You can just make a hole and drop a spud in.  Spuds are very good a breaking soils up and the muck left in place will add moisture to the soil so you'll find that in spring the soil under the muck is moist. It will add nutrients to give you a good crop of potatoes

You can also grow pumpkins and squashes on rough ground. They like a good dose of manure too.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 22:45 »
I find a pick does the best job if the soil is hard like yours.. Today I did 5x2mt and just persevered and eventually it was done..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 23:41 »
Is this a council allotment? If so any council worth its salt (like mine) will have the plot turned over (weeds & all I'm afraid but hey its turned over at least) by an industrial rotavator.

Forinstance, on my allotment site there was a few fallow plots not been used for years the site agent got in a mini JCB that skimmed off the top grass and then rough dug the whole area......
Death OR Cake ???

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 08:54 »
You are lucky then, not many councils are prepared/able to spend money clearing an allotment, that's why we have some amazing before and after allotment photos  :nowink:

bigben

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 09:12 »
You are lucky then, not many councils are prepared/able to spend money clearing an allotment, that's why we have some amazing before and after allotment photos  :nowink:

I can second that - when I took over my allotment I had a 10 pole plot of fairly solid bramble and bindweeds. I had to shoulder barge the door in as the brambles where shoulder height and stopped it opening. It had been left uncultivated for around 6 years despite a waiting list.

I got a Chillington hoe and it was brilliant at breaking up hard ground and getting brambles out. Sadly the bindweed need careful forking out once I had broken up the ground. Amazon are selling them for £12.80 - they are worth a try.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-GT52-Digging-Hoe/dp/B000LFXV2I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320657004&sr=8-1

Axe

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 10:04 »
im in a similar place...altho its my back garden!..just moved in and the ground is full of rubble and oily/petrol mess...so im double digging down (about one to 2 foot) and riddling out the stones aswell as removing any contaminated soil...it is taking an age to do...but im sure the benefits will be well worth it in the end!...and its slow and backbreaking work   :wacko:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 14:57 »
Going back to vegypete's original question:

I think the nettles might come up through any soil improver you put down, so if t'were me, I'd dig out the roots as much as possible before adding any manure layers etc, to reduce what you will have to deal with later.

Then as CQ said, spuds would be a good first crop and you could take out any remaining nettle roots as you earth up.

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 20:48 »
I agree with sunshineband.  Nettle roots are thugs  >:(
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 21:03 »
Would you guys recommend covering with black plastic after digging and forking out all the roots..

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 21:10 »
Opinions vary

I would on my plot, but my soil prones to water log in the winter.

Vegypete's sounds like it needs water, so I would use weed suppressant membrane instead.

Other would want the ground exposed to the elements

vegypete

• Location: gravel lane alottments, hemel hempstead hertfordshire
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 22:48 »
hy ya :) just a thought after sunshinebands post, if i clear the roots then cover in plastic the soil will stay dry and be hard to dig, but if left exposed to the elements will it be easier to dig, will the nettels come back befor the spring?...........pete

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 09:12 »
Yes they will, but not tall

bazh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2011, 09:26 »
Pete you don't say how large the area is, but personally I'd just persevere and dig it thoroughly as possible removing as many roots and stones as you can and leave it open to the elements, if some nettles come back which they probably will they'll be easier to remove from freshly dug ground, manure it as you clear a bit you've got at least 4 months to get it done and spuds would definately be the way to go as already suggested.
Faff free zone!

compostqueen

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 09:42 »
Heavy duty sheet mulch is porous and will keep weeds at bay and keep the soil underneath in good condition. I find it's a real help when clearing weedy areas or for giving you breathing space while you tackle another bit.  It's expensive but if looked after will last a lifetime

Nettles are a fact of life on allotments and it shows that your soil is fertile. They are good compost activators and the tops are edible.  Leave some growing in the plot margins as they provide egg laying sites for cabbage whites. Rather there than on your brassicas

xx
planting in rough ground

Started by noviceone on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 21, 2008, 09:00
by Bignij
xx
My cabbage is looking rough

Started by canwickplot on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 03, 2009, 18:44
by plainfield57
xx
rough potatoe skins?

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 27, 2011, 14:55
by Kristen
xx
DD.'s Very Rough Guide to Pea Picking

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 10, 2008, 17:19
by DD.

Page created in 0.566 seconds with 30 queries.