found clubroot today!

• 10 Replies

Bing

• Experienced Member
found clubroot today!
« on: November 04, 2011, 23:40 »
all went well this year untill today, clubroot found in white radish, Chinese leaf and swedes.  Is that means that I could not grow brassica veg any more so from now on?!!

all my other cabbages were grwon well till now, I do not know what has happened.

:(  >:(

could it be the fox or the birds who walked on my plot with the deadly disease?
Rain at night, sunshine all day long!

BabbyAnn

Re: found clubroot today!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 06:00 »
Clubroot is not nice but you can still successfully grow brassicas.  It's possible you had clubroot all along in hot spots, and not to mention you walking over the plot and tools you used to spread it around - it's not a disease carried by animals but a soil borne one.

Grow your plants (cabbage, caulis, brussels, broccoli etc) in pots of compost so that they already have a healthy root system.  When planting out, put some horticultural lime in the planting hole to raise the soil pH.  For something like radish which you can sow direct, rake the lime over the bed and water in.

You'll never truly get rid of clubroot but you can reduce the problem by not composting the roots of brassicas.  Some weeds carry the cycle on so keep the plot weed free.  And you can also try growing clubroot resistant variety brassicas too.

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 06:30 »
Absolutely Babby, the 'hotspots' can be just a few inches apart as I've found this week. One Savoy as limp as, well, a very limp thing, the one next to it, huge and waving it's leaves around!

I've been given a dozen Durham Early, and have been following your advice, which DD also uses, and I'm trying to get a big rootball going, before they go in to a limed hole.

From then on, they're on their own!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 08:16 »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 10:04 »
never buy, or accept from fellow plot holders, earth raised plants for transplanting, cos you can import clubroot that way  :ohmy:

The transplants you buy in the garden centres are ok cos they're grown in compost ;)

LilacSandy

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 15:34 »
Hi Mum,

I do not think I have club root as I have not seen any sign in the three years I have had my plots, but how would I get it? is it just from soil from other plots or could I get it from seed?

From other posts it is not something I want so I would like to know the best way to protect my plot.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 15:38 »
I don't think I've ever heard of it being transferred through seed.

Usually it is through infected soil - either water in the soil carrying the pathogens, or though soil on boots / tools / pots / donated plants etc.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 15:44 »
Seed is ok, the fungal spores are in the soil, which you can carry from dirty soil on boots and tools, or as explained on transplants :)

The resting spores of clubroot, can survive passage through the digestive tract of livestock. Spreading of manure, from livestock fed with infested crop debris, could enable resting spores to be spread to areas free of P. brassicae spores.
quote from this webite  http://www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture/crops/diseases/fac63s00.html

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 15:54 »
My advice is similar to above, grow your seedlings on in fresh sterile compost, when I transplant I dig a hole big enough to fit about a bucket of compost in, this gets limed as mentioned and then filled with home made compost ( no brassica material goes into this), transplant your brassica and firm down well.
All my brassicas grow well with this method and when I pull them they all have a good root system.
Dont despair, its easy.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

LilacSandy

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 16:41 »
Thanks Mum, interesting read.  I have been very wobbly about horse manure with all the scares about the weed killer so now I will keep off the cow manure also.  I have two large compost bins which I will keep relying on in future.

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 21:05 »
Absolutely MOS, these came from a chum who reared his plants in compost, so, they're fine by me.

I'm not sure if I'd accept plants if they were grown where I could see them in the patches however...

xx
Looking for help with clubroot

Started by meltaff on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post October 12, 2007, 22:00
by muntjac
xx
I've got clubroot.....how?

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 04, 2011, 22:34
by 8doubles
xx
what is clubroot?

Started by egym on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post November 02, 2007, 09:45
by gobs
xx
Clubroot

Started by thegarybrough on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 03, 2009, 17:16
by thegarybrough

Page created in 0.474 seconds with 38 queries.