Muddy and Smelly Run

• 18 Replies

maggiemc

Muddy and Smelly Run
« on: November 04, 2011, 23:17 »
I have had my 4 ex batt ladies for a month now, and I love them, we have bonded very well, and they are always very pleased to see me ;) (but I fear it is really because I usually have a treat for them to eat  :D). The problem is now we have had a lot of rain, I am encountering all the mud, it is driving me nuts, but worse than that I have been unable to poo pick their area, or sweep up any food residue and everything is trampled into the mud. Now it smells horrible, and it can't be good for them. Any ideas what I should do?

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
Re: Muddy and Smelly Run
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 07:04 »
Get some woodchip, I find local tree surgeons the cheapest, and pop a load of that in.  Also cover a part of the run if you can even a bit of tarp will do to start and this will help keep the rain off.

Unfortunately the winter has only just started so its best to try and get sorted asap! 

Saying that I need to cover a part of my new run as well....three guesses what im doing this weekend now  :lol: :lol:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 08:45 »
fitting freeview according to another of your posts min  :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 09:46 »
If you can't get hold of any wood chip just now buy a bale of miscanthus. It works just as well the wood chip and it's only £6 a bale.

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 14:16 »
What food residue do you have? Try to keep feeders in the dry and keep any scraps you want to give them to things that won't go soggy and smell. I entice mine back to the run with wild bird food it's cheap and there is never any sign of it later. Luckily mine free range so they have their porridge out of a dog bowl on the concrete. I use play bark and gather leaves up from the garden for my open area of the run and it's never smelly had my usual rake over this morning and it's looking really good at the moment.

reidi

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 15:59 »
wood chippings from local authority or forestry workers/ tree surgeons work well keep a nice thick layer in the run.  Come  March you will have some nice mulch for your garden.

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 17:32 »
fitting freeview according to another of your posts min  :lol:

:lol: :lol: Thats done and its allotmenty things tomorrow.

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 10:26 »
As well as the wood chippings, try using old pallets (usually cheap or free) to create a walkway for humans and interesting different levels for chickens.

I put my feeders on pallets (even though they have legs) to give a bit of extra height under the rainhats.

Our girls love hopping around on the pallets and trying to reach stuff that's fallen between the slats.

My original theory was thath it might extend the life of vegetation in their run if the roots were a little protected by pallets - no, but the girls had to work harder to get it which adds spice to their lives!
ManicMum

hardygeranium

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 21:46 »
We kicked off with a compound and earth, which got swamp like, so we added a tarpauline over the whole compound.  The tarpaulin thought it was a sail and the earth got very smelly, so we dug in the earth, put down weed suppressant and covered it in bark chips.  The girls thought they were great but decided to dig up the weed cover and cover everything in mud.  We replaced the tarpaulin, tied it down better, composted the bark chips, weighted down the weed suppressant and replaced it with gravel.  When the snow came, the tarpaulin pulled down the posts of the compound.

This year, the girls having dug in all the gravel, we have rebuilt the compound with extra supports, put on rafters and put on a corrugated plastic roof.  We have laid paving slabs and covered it all in straw and the girls thoroughly approve.   

Unfortunately, they are now turning their attention to burying the path to their compound .....

compostqueen

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 23:46 »
Keeping as much of their run covered as possible is a good idea to keep the rain off and mud to a minimum. Keeps the birds cleaner too.

I liked the horse bedding on the floor as it makes poo picking so much easier as you can see it so much easier than when the floor is covered in bark chips

You have to clean up spilled food and droppings every day or at least every other day to keep things hygienic  :)

maggiemc

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 00:03 »
Thanks for your ideas, I am acting on them, thinking about covering a larger area of the run. Meanwhile the ladies love the leaves to kick about. ::)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 18:37 »
As well as the wood chippings, try using old pallets (usually cheap or free) to create a walkway for humans and interesting different levels for chickens.

I put my feeders on pallets (even though they have legs) to give a bit of extra height under the rainhats.

Our girls love hopping around on the pallets and trying to reach stuff that's fallen between the slats.

My original theory was thath it might extend the life of vegetation in their run if the roots were a little protected by pallets - no, but the girls had to work harder to get it which adds spice to their lives!

Be careful in frosty weather with pallets though as I did the splits last year and landed very undignified.  Bruised and grazed I decided to remove the pallets before Health and Safety Dept closed me down!   ::)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2011, 20:13 »
Never thought to give the girls the Health & Safety At Work contact phone number.....

TeaPots

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 00:16 »
 :lol:

In the short term, liberally scatter Stalosan F powder. It is a bacteriacide and removes the pong. I use this all year round near the well used areas eg around the drinkers.

JACDORE

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 13:19 »
where can i buy this miscanthus from? im in kettering northants
2 rottys 4 cats, 2 gecko's, 2 beardies, 2 hamsters, 1 guinea pig, 1 rabbit, 12 various fish, 6 hens, 1 hubby, (lol)

xx
Muddy, smelly garden - idea's please?

Started by Tosca on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post February 03, 2011, 00:12
by swedishchicken
xx
Wet and Muddy

Started by joolz68 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 09, 2014, 12:53
by joolz68
grin
wet muddy run

Started by redspookycooky on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post December 07, 2009, 19:55
by Flowerpower136
xx
muddy chooks

Started by Feathers on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 29, 2010, 18:23
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.388 seconds with 37 queries.