When can I plant onion seed?

• 5 Replies

SG6

When can I plant onion seed?
« on: October 29, 2011, 13:19 »
Last year the onions crop, grown from seed, was a waste of time. everything was small. Many/most too small to be useable.

Wondering if I can start off about 30 seeds in a propagator indoors now for planting out next year.

Any thoughts? :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Kleftiwallah

Re: When can I plant onion seed?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 13:49 »

Traditionally, onion seeds are planted just prior to sitting down for your Christmas dinner.   ::)   Cheers,    Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 17:32 »
When did you plant them out SG6 and what stage were they at when you did?

First-time effort this year for me; sown in Feb in a cold greenhouse, then lost many (probably over-watered), the remainder were planted out in April still looking like rather feeble leek seedlings. They then just sat there for the best part of 3 months before really getting going.

Got some quite good onions in the end (only been dug up a week!) so I can only assume that this year at least the outdoor conditions weren't to their liking, although for that reason I don't think that starting them any earlier would have made much difference.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Babstreefern

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 19:23 »
I always start mine off between Christmas and New Year.  Have never used a propagator.  I have 4 trays - 2 x red mammoths and 2 x mammoth whites (can't remember the name of the whites) - but I buy my seeds from Robinsons, its also where I buy mammoth leeks.

Anyway, I start my onions between Christmas and NY, in the conservatory - they get plenty of light and some heat, but not too hot - barely warm actually.

Then in March/April, I move them to the greenhouse for a few weeks, then into the coldframe and then in late May, they go outside :D
Babs

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 19:30 »
I do pretty much as Babs does, except I don't have a conservatory. Mine just stay in a quiet corner of the sitting room where its about 62F. The seedlings can still grow slowly and develop good roots.

Once they're planted out, water weekly with a chicken manure/water solution.

Lady Rosemary

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 19:38 »
I can't wait to try growing onions from seed.  They should be well established before I plant them out and hopefully stop those darn pigeons from pulling them up! Exciting times ahead.  :D
~Remember What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it.~

Page created in 0.538 seconds with 29 queries.