Carrot fly

• 76 Replies

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
Re: Carrot fly
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2012, 09:05 »
Anyone used Nemasys "Grow Your Own" mixture of nematodes.

They claim it contols Carrot and cabbage root fly, leatherjackets, cutworms, onion fly, ants, sciarid fly, catterpillars, gooseberry sawfly, thrips, codling moth.

The leaflet says £5 per 60 sq m. Presumably this has to be applied several times?

http://www.nemasysinfo.com/gyo.shtml

here is the advantage of enviromesh - you only have to buy it once not every year and it doesnt seem to degrade in the sun.
ive tried resistafly in the past and they tasted foul, sweet candle F1 are very nice tho

MyAchingBack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2012, 09:25 »
Is there a good, relaible and reasonably priced supplier of enviromesh on the web? I need to buy some soon.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2012, 09:27 »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Wavertree Red

• Experienced Member
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2012, 09:40 »
Here's a starting place:

http://www.gardening-naturally.com/acatalog/Veggiemesh.html

Agreed.  That's where I got mine recently after hours of trawling the net for the best price for the size I wanted. OK they did cut both sheets too short but instantly sorted it out.
I said a Keith Richards not a Cliff Richard..................

MyAchingBack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2012, 10:08 »
Thanks DD.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2012, 17:06 »
Also double check the prices of Harrod Horticultural by clicking through to Allotment Shop at the top of the page - often they have a decent discount code for members here.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

rowlandwells

« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2012, 21:07 »
so there just the method of covering with mesh or the old fashioned way of growing other selective crops next to the carrot crop

but i don't think i seen onions planted next the carrot crop by the carrot producers to deter the carrot fly in the fields 

and say what you may there's many people buying supermarket carrots with added  pesticide these carrots certainly do not have good flavour of Lottie carrot its said  what are those people missing i ask myself  off course perhaps some gardeners  haven't got the carrot growing ground like me

and i suspect more ordinary grown carrots are sold  than the organic proving that cost really comes into play when buying veg

if you can grow good carrots without the carrot fly menace or other pests then well done because Ive talked to many gardeners and they haven't escaped some damage or other when growing carrots

i did find out what was used by commercial growers not available to the ordinary gardener

fatbelly

« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2012, 21:16 »
For me the only way to grow Carrots successfully is to cover your crop with Enviromesh. This method has worked for me for the past 3 years and I get great crops. Previously I used the plastic sheet barrier method with the sheeting 2 foot high , it didn't work. I have used Carrot Fly resistant Cultivars, they didn't work.

Only Enviromesh has worked for me.
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

reianki

« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2012, 21:27 »
Hello! I dont have an allotment anymore, but an old gent told me to use mesh around my carrot bed and to make sure it was 36 inches high, I had the best carrots on the patch!  now I can only grow upwards and use old tyres but I will make sure my carrots are not munched this yr either! x

Patty Pan

« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2012, 23:48 »
Oooh I am well chuffed  :) me lottie plot has won Garden Answers magazine 'Readers Garden of the month' and will be in the May issue - and my prize? A years supply of Nemasys products!!!  :D Talk about perfect timing!
Will report back on my findings, hopefully it will be  :tongue2: to all the pests on the plot this year! :D

Growster...

« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2012, 06:12 »
We're using all the big pots we have from old tomato growing, and a garden table propped up on old pipes for all our carrots this year.

Once they're in, we'll also wrap debris netting around the lot, so the top edge is about 30" off the ground.

There are more pots than in the pic now, (total growing area is about 1.5 s.y.) as Mrs Growster is better than I am at arranging things...;0)
Photo-0082 (400 x 300).jpg

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2012, 08:21 »
Hello! I dont have an allotment anymore, but an old gent told me to use mesh around my carrot bed and to make sure it was 36 inches high, I had the best carrots on the patch!  now I can only grow upwards and use old tyres but I will make sure my carrots are not munched this yr either! x

A fence around my carrots certainly did improve things a lot, but there were still a few affected ones. Whilst carrot fly can fly that high themselves, they can get blown in.

Since I've gone on to total enclosure by mesh, they've been 100% clean.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2012, 08:39 »
Oooh I am well chuffed  :) me lottie plot has won Garden Answers magazine 'Readers Garden of the month' and will be in the May issue - and my prize? A years supply of Nemasys products!!!  :D Talk about perfect timing!
Will report back on my findings, hopefully it will be  :tongue2: to all the pests on the plot this year! :D

Well done you!!

Great to have the prize right now too  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2012, 18:14 »
Congratulations Patty Pan!  :D

snowdrops

« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2012, 08:29 »
How wonderful,well done. :)
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

xx
Carrot fly planting now avoids carrot fly?

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 07, 2019, 06:52
by Pescador
xx
Carrot bug!!!!!!

Started by white westie on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 21, 2010, 23:04
by Dan78
xx
Carrot fly

Started by Flump on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 22, 2013, 22:19
by Flump
xx
Carrot fly

Started by Kajazy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 00:16
by Salmo

Page created in 0.77 seconds with 29 queries.