Indian Runner ducks

• 8 Replies

Carshay

Indian Runner ducks
« on: October 19, 2011, 19:07 »
Hi I am hoping to get 3 or 4 runner ducks next week and have a few questions I hope some of you can answer.
I would like them to free range in the garden but there are quite a few local cats - will the ducks chase them off if they get a bit too interested?
Also I thought I would put gravel around the edge of their pond and then slabs round that to try to minimise mess - will this be ok?
Should I put their food in a feeder like the chickens? Can they get their beaks in the trough bit ok?
Will they put themselves to bed like chickens and will they realise that there is a house for them when they first arrive? I don't really want to be chasing them round the garden in the gloom!
Thanks

Sassy

Re: Indian Runner ducks
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 08:43 »
I can only say re cats that mine have not shown any interest in my ducks. I have a friend with free range runners and none of her 3 cats bother.
I would suggest putting some sort of membrane under the gravel around the pond or it will disappear into the soil - it may get gradually pushed into the pond, I don't know.
A chicken feeder is not good for ducks as they put their beaks into feed and scoop it up. Some sort of trough it better with nothing over it. I use a heavy dish and this seems to work fine for me.
Unless you are really lucky they will not take themselves to bed. They would live out given the chance. You and they will get used to herding them to bed. It was a steep learing curve and we had to use all sorts of strategies like putting things at the side of their ramp so they could not easily veer off. The trick with herding them is not to crowd them and allow them time but not too much. Runners will probably be more obliging than mine whcih are Khaki Campbells.
Whatever, enjoy them they are great comedians and I would not be without them. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 08:55 »
My friends ducks are more like Gaurd Dogs, all the cats are scared of them lol.

Was really funny, we were watching tv and could see a cat sneaking up on one of the chickens, really low to the ground all stealthy.

Fuzzy (the male Duck) spots the cat from accross the garden, casually waddles up to it from the back, and grabs hold of its tail!  The cat jumps about 10 FT in the air then legs it with Fuzzy hot of it heels, wings beating quacking like crazy.

We all fell off our chairs laughing! lol

As it happens if the cat has actualy got chance to have a go at the chooks, they would have tried to have cat for dinne any way hehe
I hate signatures but love irony

Carshay

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 10:30 »
Thanks for replies. I don't know what sort of duck herder I will make but looks like I'll soon find out!!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 14:14 »
Let us know how you get on and loads of photos of course.  I am tempted to get a couple of ducks as we have a decent sized pond.  Have just got 4 quail and already have 6 hens so might be pushing it a bit with my hubby!!!   :unsure:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

clairerey

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 19:31 »
heya, we just use a large bowl for their food too, i am amazed at how much they eat. So much more than the chickens daily. Our ducks use the kids swimming pool on the patio and they are so much cleaner when they don't have loads of mud stuck to their feet and bellies :D
We have a local, very big cat who has taken an interest in them, our boys are only 5 weeks old so are totally inncocent when the cat comes calling and just totally ignores it.lol It will stealth towards them then we have to go and scare it away, im quite sure it will try to rip some heads off if she catches them.
What does everyone do about drinkers for ducks? as we bought the same drinker we use for the chickens but all they do is continually tip it over.
Ours arnt too bad at going back in, we just use a long pole and round them up and they usually go back in without too much fuss. Saying that though, if they see a space to escape they leg it :D

freckledbeck

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 19:55 »
Hi  :)
Cats have never been a problem for our ducks, in fact I have seen our ducks chase strange cats out of the garden!
We use a large covered poultry feeder for layers pellets, for the ducks and chickens to share, and have never had any issues with the ducks not being able to feed from it.
Re the gravel round the pond, I would personally not put a membrane under it as ducks are VERY messy and drainage would be essential to stop bad smells/muck building up.
Ducks will make your pond very messy in a short space of time unless your pond is large or can be cleaned regularly. (or has a stream running through it!  ;))
I use a washing up bowl which is cleaned and filled with fresh water twice a day. Ducks need clean water to dip their heads into, or they are prone to eye infections.
Our ducks do put themselves to bed when it gets dark, but they have been trained! They are easy to herd (calmly) into the place you want them to sleep in, and after some time, should do it themselves.
Ducks are lovely, hope you enjoy them!  :)

Sassy

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 08:03 »
Re the gravel round the pond, I would personally not put a membrane under it as ducks are VERY messy and drainage would be essential to stop bad smells/muck building up.
Ducks will make your pond very messy in a short space of time unless your pond is large or can be cleaned regularly. (or has a stream running through it!  ;))

I agree re the membrane and would recommend the type that allows water to drain through. I use a childrens sandpit that I got from Freecycle and it is great. The water is easily changed and the container thoroughly washed out. Also you can move it around to allow poached areas to recover.

I use a small bucket of water for my ducks and change it daily. Within 10 minutes it looks dirty anyway!! :) :) :)

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 13:15 »
Yea we use a large bucked/trough (The sort of thing you can buy that is stackable to put tools in) filled with water.  They dunk there heads in it, drink it, jump in it.

It tends to get dirty through the day, but is quick to change in a morning.  The ducks didnt and wouldnt drink from drinkers, prefer to fill their whole beaks from submerging their heads.

xx
indian runner ducks

Started by Bobbie on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 30, 2009, 21:51
by Foxy
xx
indian runner ducks

Started by maggiemay on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post December 10, 2015, 04:06
by tosca100
xx
indian runner ducks

Started by maggiemay on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post December 16, 2015, 13:47
by tosca100
xx
Indian Runner Ducks

Started by spot on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 04, 2007, 11:28
by WG.

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 28 queries.